MARCH Veg what's for dinner thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yum that sounds great!

Doula mama to artistic DD and monster DS. #3 on the way!
HAVE YOU HEARD OF SQUAT ANARCHIST BIRTH JOURNAL YET?? IF NOT, GOOGLE IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the gnocci recipe!! They look wonderful!

Warm compote...MMmmmmmm!

We've been on this weird road lately, w/the kids eating a lot more meat w/dh and me making quick froen stuff for myself (or eating crap food) - not good.

Tonight I made fake chicken patties for me, beef patties for the kids, w/roasted potato and delicata squash and peas on the side. It was totally yumm! Yesterday I made a fritatta w/another delicata (bought 3 on sale lol!), and it was chocka full of veggies and both kids had thirds! Dh had none. I swear I'm at the end of the rope w/him and his NEED BEEF attitude.

A friend bought me Rachel Ray's 30 min. veg cookbook for my b'day, so I'm going to peruse that tonight - it looks pasta heavy though. Anyone use this book before? Recipes you loved?

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
Old 03-12-2009, 02:22 PM

Tuesday was the same penne/spinach/canellini bean dish from last week.

Last night was Yummy Lentils and Spinach (modified to be less soupy and more spicy) served over rice.

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
Old 03-12-2009, 05:28 PM

Last night we had BBQ seitan sandwiches, potato salad, corn & BBQ beans

Today DH is stopping at MIL's house to pick up chile rellenos, beans & rice that she had to make for us. She is an over the top people pleaser, but that is another story entirely...

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:06 AM

Tonight we had curried red lentil soup with garlic naan (storebought). The soup was sooo good though! I took an Indian cooking class and she taught us to prepare this basic all-purpose masala gravy that she incorporates into all her recipes for flavor. It's great, it freezes well and it's so easy to make a double batch to have on hand.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 AM

Tonight was black beans and rice.

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
Old 03-13-2009, 12:56 AM

Keeta - how do you make it??? I am always looking for good gravy like sauces.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:09 AM

I have been following this thread for months...bought Veganomicon and am ready to subscribe. Thurs night was Middle Eastern Couscous with Tofu, Zucchini and SUndried Tomatoes with a Rucola and Parm Salad and Vinagrette. It was given a 8, 7 and a 10 by my family.

We are hosting Soup Night here Sat. and I made the Creamy Tomato from Veganomicon, also making the Broccoli Potato and a pot of Black Bean --guests bring bread and wine
Old 03-13-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Tonight we had curried red lentil soup with garlic naan (storebought). The soup was sooo good though! I took an Indian cooking class and she taught us to prepare this basic all-purpose masala gravy that she incorporates into all her recipes for flavor. It's great, it freezes well and it's so easy to make a double batch to have on hand.

Ummmm...recipe???? I'm in Seattle too, though I"ve never been to a cooking class I thought was worth it!!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SollysMom View Post
Tuesday was the same penne/spinach/canellini bean dish from last week.

Last night was Yummy Lentils and Spinach (modified to be less soupy and more spicy) served over rice.
That looks nice, and simple to make

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:02 PM

Basic Curry Masala
by Archana Verma

Makes 1 Cup
(I usually at least double or quadruple this, freeze some)

1 T canola or coconut oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 T peeled and minced fresh ginger
1 tsp crushed or minced garlic
1 cup finely chopped onion (red or yellow fine)
1 1/2 cups chopped tomato OR 1/3 cup tomato sauce* + 1 T tomato paste

*plain tomato sauce in a can, NOT spiced Italian tomato sauce in a jar, y'know?

Heat oil in shallow pan over med-high heat, add the cumin seeds when hot and let sputter and plump, about 30 secs. Add ginger, garlic and stir for 30 more seconds.

Reduce heat to medium and add onions - stir and sautee about 15-20 minutes until the onion is browned and mixture starts to pull away from pan. Add tomatoes or tomato sauce+paste and cook 10 minutes or so.

Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend until smooth.

------
So that's the main gravy - to make Chana Masala, you saute some more spices (1 T ground cumin, 2 T ground coriander, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp cayenne) in 1 T oil for 30 seconds. Then add 3 cans of drained and rinsed garbanzos, 1 tsp salt, 1 T lime juice, and 1-2 cups of water and 1 cup of the masala gravy, simmmer for 20 minutes and garnish with cilantro. Serve with rice or bread.

Same deal with daal - 1 1/2 cups red lentils:4 cups water, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp ground coriander, cook for 20 minutes until soft. In another pan, heat 1 T oil and add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds for 30 secs, then add 1/3 C masala gravy, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp garam masala. Stir into the lentils and serve, garnish with cilantro. Serve with rice or bread.

-------
Basically, you can use it as a base for pretty much any Indian dish. She told us you can add boiled spinach to the gravy with some (soy) yogurt and cubed tofu for Sag Paneer. Or add a little water and 4 C chopped veggies and some additional spices (can't go wrong with turmeric, coriander and garam masala) and a little water and you've got Mixed Vegetable Subzi.

I usually freeze it in 2 cup batches, but 1 cup might be better. She said you can also do it in ice cube trays.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesMum View Post
We are hosting Soup Night here Sat. and I made the Creamy Tomato from Veganomicon, also making the Broccoli Potato and a pot of Black Bean --guests bring bread and wine
Welcome! Soup night ... that's intriguing! Do you just swap around w/neighbors/friends kind of thing?

Thank you Keeta!!! That looks wonderful! There's a really good indian store near hear, well, not exactly near, but less than 1/2 hr. drive, and I got some great green and red chilis there, also curry leaves and some other stuff that looked yummy! I froze a lot of it - hopefully that doesn't kill the taste!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
That looks nice, and simple to make
It is really easy! I use 1 cup of lentils and 2 cups of water to make it less soupy, though I still serve it with a ladle. I also double the garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes and use an entire bag of baby spinach.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:56 PM

Thanks Keeta! Where did you take the cooking class? I need some kind of mom thing to do LOL, I was thinking of trying to find something like that to do
Old 03-13-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
Thanks Keeta! Where did you take the cooking class? I need some kind of mom thing to do LOL, I was thinking of trying to find something like that to do
Not Keeta, but PCC has lots of cooking classes, and I know they have some Indian ones, as well as lots of others.

I've been trying to get back into cooking after a bout of extreme laziness over here. Does anyone else ever go through times where they just have zero inspiration? That's been me lately.

Tonight: Cajun chickpea patties, smoky greens, sweet potato fries, and homemade buns I made the patties last week, and they were delicious. Even picky DS and his equally picky cousin liked them! : They're definitely becoming part of our regular rotation.

Tomorrow: pizza night! I'll make a crust, and then we can all top our own pizzas or sections of a big one.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:07 PM

Wednesday night I made the "Veggie Lunch Meat" from VeganDad (lord, I love that blog!), but instead of slicing it thin like lunch meat, I sliced it about twice as thick, dipped it in soymilk and dredged it in flour, and pan-fried it in EB with some sliced mushrooms and garlic. Mmmm, it was good. We had it with steamed broccoli on the side. Now I have to figure out how to slice it thin enough for sandwiches.

Last night I made my favorite chickpea soup and two loaves of challah, and we just had a simple soup-and-bread night, with a big bowl of strawberries and mango.

Tonight I'm thinking about making the pumpkin baked ziti from v'con. I want to get it all prepared and ready to pop in the oven when we get home from DD1's fiddle lesson at 5ish.

I keep looking at our CSA's website lately, hoping there will be some miraculous news about the share magically starting super-early this year. : I miss having nice fresh local produce! I am not yet ready to eat only local during non-growing-season, and so I am saddened to continue buying anemic broccoli and shamefully exotic fruit these days. Where's the spring asparagus already?!?! :
Old 03-13-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
Not Keeta, but PCC has lots of cooking classes, and I know they have some Indian ones, as well as lots of others.
Yep, I *LOVE* PCC's cooking classes. They're way more affordable than most others I've taken ($40 for 2-2/12 hrs) and they've all been great. Not all are vegan, but they do have quite a good vegan selection. The thing is to sign up early, because they do fill (at least they do at my location in West Seattle).

I've taken an Indian class, a Persian class, a class on incorporating sea vegetables into your diet, a Vegan Southern Comfort class, and I'm taking one next month on Soy Foods, taught by Louise Hagler herself! She wrote Tofu Cookery and several other soy-based cookbooks. The classes are just really great, and they feed you (not huge portions every time, but you don't leave hungry).

Old 03-14-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca View Post
Welcome! Soup night ... that's intriguing! Do you just swap around w/neighbors/friends kind of thing?
I am usually the hostess. I moved to Germany in July so dont have many friends yet. It started with 1 other family, added another, and now a new fam. is coming....but I may cancel as both my kids are sick (ugh) In the states, we would invited up to 8 families...it was easy and a blast--I had the right house and yard for it
Old 03-14-2009, 12:07 PM

Wow! How did I not know about this vegan dad site..have I been living under a rock?

So happysince I have my 15 y/old cousin w me for the week and came her searching for food ideas...Breakfast today is potato pancakes and fruit..lunch im not sure of yet.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 03-14-2009, 07:08 PM

we are doing a cheesy baked pasta dish tonight with spinach, cashew cream, and homemade seitan chicken. we shall see how it turns out!

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

Old 03-14-2009, 07:36 PM

We did nutty pancakes tonight. It is just too easy and I am really into the nut butter thing right now.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the vegandad blog! That looks awesome. Can't wait to make the seitan scallopine- I love olives (although dh hates them). Always looking for more seitan recipes! Off to go make some seitan right now!
Old 03-14-2009, 08:45 PM

vegan dad ROCKS, though not ALL my attempts have been wonderful.

Tonight - vegan lasagne. :

Old 03-14-2009, 08:59 PM

Tonight is field roast with roasted asparagus and mashed taters. Yay!

Old 03-14-2009, 10:28 PM

Tonight I tried the vegan dad paneer curry..only I added eggplant/carrots/garlic/more spices/chili flakes/took out the salt and instead of using soy milk I used coconut milk. Dh thought I used store bought curry paste so thats a thumbs up! It was AWSOME!
We had it on white rice cooked w cardmom seeds/cloves. And then I made a small tossed salad and sauteed some baby bok choy and another asian green w a wasabi stirfry oil. We went grocery shopping at out fav asian supermarket yest and I couldn't pass up all the leafy greens! SO good!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 03-15-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
Tonight I tried the vegan dad paneer curry..only I added eggplant/carrots/garlic/more spices/chili flakes/took out the salt and instead of using soy milk I used coconut milk. Dh thought I used store bought curry paste so thats a thumbs up! It was AWSOME!
We had it on white rice cooked w cardmom seeds/cloves. And then I made a small tossed salad and sauteed some baby bok choy and another asian green w a wasabi stirfry oil. We went grocery shopping at out fav asian supermarket yest and I couldn't pass up all the leafy greens! SO good!
Sounds great!

We had noodles with peppers and marinated tofu. Very simple, few ingredients but I like it!

Old 03-15-2009, 01:39 PM

I really enjoy VeganDad and wish a hardcover recipe book would come out.

Last night we had potato roll tacos and bean burritos from a local taco shop. Dh is out of town and ds kept asking for Colimas. I gave in and it was yummy.

Tonight I am making Gypsy Soup - recipe from Moosewood - and pan de sal.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Last night was veg chili and homemade cornbread. Don't know yet what tonight will be, probably something easy.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:44 PM

Mmmm ... currreee...

I made a super smelling potato/garlic/leek soup today, and will glaze up some carrots and kale to have with. We have a thick tuscan loaf for it all, and chocolate cake for dessert. YUMM!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:32 PM

tonight is pizza night -- i recently finally perfected my whole wheat pizza dough and so we've been having pizza night once a week (i always make an extra batch to freeze, too, so it can be easy if nec). husband is very happy about this lol.

i love vegan dad too. i have not had much luck with his "indian" stuff but i am from the subcontinent so i am really picky about my indian food. : i must admit i usually don't even bother with indian recipes online because i know, more or less, how to cook indian without a recipe...but sometimes i get sucked in by pretty pictures.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

User Tag List