MARCH Veg what's for dinner thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2009, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tonight I made an amazing dal, yellow mung dal. I threw in asparagus tips, peas, potatoes, carrots, onion, and spinach, as well as the ginger and garlic, plus the beans and about 2/4 cup bas. rice. I'm about to go eat it w/thin bread, kinda late, but at least my kids are finally in bed! :

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 11:52 PM

Tonight I roasted broccoli and grape tomatoes with olive oil, s&p, and some garlic thrown in at the last minute. We had it over linguine noodles. Yum! The toddler gobbled it up!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM

Last night was spaghetti with sauce I pulled out of the freezer. We had such a wonderful tomato crop last year. I hope this year is as successful.

Tonight I'm making French lentil soup and herb rolls.

I have my large stock pot simmering full of vegetable scraps to make broth. My son calls it 'compost soup'.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Last night was tamari-roasted chickpeas, roasted carrots, and sauteed spinach over brown rice, a green salad with strawberries, orange grape tomatoes, plums, and poppyseed dressing, and baguette. MIL came over for dinner and took home a doggie bag.

Tonight is looking like sloppy lentils, coleslaw, and oven fries. I think. I'm not married to this plan.

love.gif

Old 03-23-2009, 02:53 PM

Last night my parents were over and I was out of cabbage so my dad offered to run up and grab some, so he bought 4 . I ended up just shredding it all and sending them home with some. I think it's a really good deal; they buy food I prepare it and send them with half!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
Last night we had tempeh hot wings, roasted potatoes, roasted asparagus, sauteed mushrooms and sweet peppers, rice with sumac and salad. It was absolutely fantastic!

Tonight was super yummy and super easy - leftover asparagus, leftover salad, rice crackers with pbj and potatoes, onions, and veggie dogs cooked together.
oh my gosh i have to try those tempeh hot wings! :

tonight my hubby is making dinner since i still dont have my energy from the stomach bug i had last week. we are having southern chicken fried tofu with lemony green beans, sweet corn, brown rice, and gravy.

anyone have a good recipe for southern style gravy?

Old 03-23-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
That sounds awesome! Do the tortillas get crunchy or do they stay soft? I think if they were soft they'd be floppy & hard to eat. Either way I think we will be trying that.
The outside edges of the tortilla get a little crisp, but the main part is soft. I thought it was pretty easy to eat.

I usually make this with fried corn tortillas, but I was out of corn tortillas and it adds the extra step of frying them first. It is good either way, depends if you want something crisp or soft!

I make the beans my pureeing a can of drained beans with a drained can of Rotelle tomatoes with some added chili powder, cumin or coriander. Or you can use canned refried beans (vegetarian of course.)

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
Old 03-23-2009, 10:24 PM

Tonight I made Indian - Lentil dal with spinach and sweet potatoes, green bean masala, Indian rice with peas and even some naan thanks to Trader Joe's frozen section.

The whole family loved it so I was happy.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:53 PM

tonight was an awesome sweet and sour seitan dish with broccoli, carrots, and pineapple -- so good, and so toddler friendly.

up for the rest of the week we have

lentil tacos
millet cakes and a green & white bean salad
saag and roti
cabbage and cheddar pie, sweet potatoes
pizza night

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

Old 03-25-2009, 12:01 AM

Mmmm, tonight was a garlic themed night! Garlic and Greens Soup with Miso-Garlic Bread. I pureed the soup for the toddler and it was a hit!

The bread is so outrageously good, it's ridiculous. Basically, 10 cloves of garlic, 3 T white miso and 5-6 T olive oil. Mix, spread over 1 baguette (cut in half) and bake (miso-side up) 5-8 minutes at 450F. Ta-da! Best vegan cheesy garlic bread ever! I like the strong garlic flavor, but you can also roast the garlic prior to mellow it out. The recipe is by Louise Hagler, I took a cooking class with her last night (and it's in her Miso Cookery cookbook).

Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 AM

:cry

Well, tonight was going to be a cheddar, red pepper, and onion quiche. It was nearly done, beautiful, perfect... and I took it out of the oven to test it, decided to give it a few more minutes. And... I dropped it. Quiche all over the floor. Totally unsalvagable.

So we had spinach pasta with olive oil and parmesan instead because that was the fastest dinner I could make. It was fine, yummy even, but it was not my quiche!

Once the kids are asleep I'm going out to the kitchen to make another quiche though. I made enough veggies to make one and freeze one, but it would have taken too long to finish the planned freezer one and wait for it to cook (another 45 minutes). Oh well, tomorrow night we'll have quiche.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 03-25-2009, 12:30 PM

Last night was spinach/potato/tofu curry. Tonight will be chickpea salad and cornbread.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 PM

Last night was a very uninspired 'chickn' nuggets with some leftover pasta and sauce and jarred peaches.

Tonight will be Greek big beans (recipe from 'Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker'), Greek salad, and lemon-roasted potatoes.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:22 PM

I have had a wicked wicked head cold...last night DH made Basmati rice and black beans with a bit of chipotle sauce and a Rugala salad. ( my whew hew birthday dinner as I laid on the couch miserable!) Feeling a bit better today so I took some frozena past sauce out of the freezer and madeVeggie Chili a la Rachel Ray. Take leftover pasta sauce and add it to sauted onions, zucchini, frozen corn and some veggie "ground beef" (i used Morningstar crumbles) It makes a great and quick chili and I get basically 2 meals from making the sauce. Love this
Old 03-25-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
:cry

Well, tonight was going to be a cheddar, red pepper, and onion quiche. It was nearly done, beautiful, perfect... and I took it out of the oven to test it, decided to give it a few more minutes. And... I dropped it. Quiche all over the floor. Totally unsalvagable.

So we had spinach pasta with olive oil and parmesan instead because that was the fastest dinner I could make. It was fine, yummy even, but it was not my quiche!

Once the kids are asleep I'm going out to the kitchen to make another quiche though. I made enough veggies to make one and freeze one, but it would have taken too long to finish the planned freezer one and wait for it to cook (another 45 minutes). Oh well, tomorrow night we'll have quiche.
That makes me so sad The last time in my life I ever cooked in pyrex, it literally exploded right after I picked it up with hotpads while partially still in the oven. It was really horrible....

Keeta I'm totally making that bread. I made 2 baguettes that I didn't know what to do with and I never thought to use miso! I wonder if I mixed it with some earth balance it would be a bit more familiar for the kids. They don't like miso flavor too strong but they love garlic bread.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
Keeta I'm totally making that bread. I made 2 baguettes that I didn't know what to do with and I never thought to use miso! I wonder if I mixed it with some earth balance it would be a bit more familiar for the kids. They don't like miso flavor too strong but they love garlic bread.
You know, I don't taste the miso at all - to me it tastes like parmesan garlic bread! But I love miso, so it wouldn't bother me. I'm pretty sure I'm going to start just keeping a mix of miso, minced garlic and olive oil in the fridge and slather it on everything. It's soooo good!

Old 03-25-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
You know, I don't taste the miso at all - to me it tastes like parmesan garlic bread! But I love miso, so it wouldn't bother me. I'm pretty sure I'm going to start just keeping a mix of miso, minced garlic and olive oil in the fridge and slather it on everything. It's soooo good!
I was thinking the same thing about keeping some made up....I LOVE miso, my kids like it in dressing and such, but I can see how it wouldn't be the predominant flavour. Fortunately they love garlic though

I"ll be at my mom's tongiht with the kiddos and she cooks with them Usually really healthy and something for dessert.

tomorrow I'im making some baked beans and I don't know what with it

And also on my to do list is make vegannaise
Old 03-25-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbrunette View Post
oh my gosh i have to try those tempeh hot wings! :

tonight my hubby is making dinner since i still dont have my energy from the stomach bug i had last week. we are having southern chicken fried tofu with lemony green beans, sweet corn, brown rice, and gravy.

anyone have a good recipe for southern style gravy?
I'd love the southern chicken fried tofu recipe. DH misses fried chicken

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:53 PM

Chiliquiles again here, along with this cucumber carrot salad. And Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:08 PM

Yeah, please share that southern fried tofu chick recipe!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:37 AM

I need to get back into these threads...they are so wonderfully inspiring!

Tonight we had hot-from-the-oven apple cinnamon muffins and banana/blueberry smoothies.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

Old 03-27-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
I've been a bit lazy the last few days but I'm getting back to good cooking tomorrow - my mouth doesn't hurt anymore. Does anyone have a nice recipe for veg lasagne? I remember someone made some last week?
This is going back a few days, but I just typed out this recipe for someone else and it was easy to cut and paste here.

This is my favorite lasagna recipe, it is from Robin Robertson's "Quick Fix Vegetarian":

Beat the Clock Spinach Lasagna

8 lasagna noodles
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 pound firm tofu, drained and crumbled
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 (24 ounce) jar of marinara sauce
1/2 cup shredded soy mozzarella

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the noodles in a long plastic container or a tall heatproof pitcher (If your container isn't large enough to hold the noodles you can break them in half to fit.) Add just enough hot water to cover the noodles and set aside.

Squeeze the water out of the spinach and place in a large bowl. Add the tofu, lemon juice, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Drain the noodles. Do not blot dry.

Spoon a layer of the marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9 by 9 inch baking dish. Top with half the noodles. Spread half of the tofu mixture evenly over the noodles. Repeat with a layer of the remaining noodles. Top with a thin layer of sauce and then the remaining tofu mixture, ending with the remaining sauce. Top with the soy cheese. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
This is going back a few days, but I just typed out this recipe for someone else and it was easy to cut and paste here.

This is my favorite lasagna recipe, it is from Robin Robertson's "Quick Fix Vegetarian":

Beat the Clock Spinach Lasagna

8 lasagna noodles
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 pound firm tofu, drained and crumbled
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 (24 ounce) jar of marinara sauce
1/2 cup shredded soy mozzarella

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the noodles in a long plastic container or a tall heatproof pitcher (If your container isn't large enough to hold the noodles you can break them in half to fit.) Add just enough hot water to cover the noodles and set aside.

Squeeze the water out of the spinach and place in a large bowl. Add the tofu, lemon juice, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Drain the noodles. Do not blot dry.

Spoon a layer of the marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9 by 9 inch baking dish. Top with half the noodles. Spread half of the tofu mixture evenly over the noodles. Repeat with a layer of the remaining noodles. Top with a thin layer of sauce and then the remaining tofu mixture, ending with the remaining sauce. Top with the soy cheese. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Thanks! I just bought a kilo of spinach as it happens, so I am making this today!!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:52 AM

Oh, and the garlic and greens soup someone mentioned looks great!!!

We did rice pancakes with veggies and sweet n sour sauce yesterday.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Last night was vegan pancakes. It was so good and exactly what everyone was in the mood for (DS's reaction when I told him: "Pancakes!?!!? YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!")

Old 03-27-2009, 02:17 PM

My oldest is visiting this weekend. :

I've already made her a bunch of frozen vegan soups to take back home with her.

Tonight will be yellow split pea dal, basmati rice, and spicy spinach and tomatoes. I think I'll make a pineapple upside down cake too.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:16 PM

This week I've really slacked. Dh's grandfather passed away last week. So this week has been planning for the memorial ect
Mon-subs(out shopping for food for in between services)
Tues-cooked veggie chili, pasta salads, potato salads for memorial
Wed-everything that we made tues. plus veggies and a bean salad
Thurs-Dh had a band practice/gig right after so I ate a huge salad, and then popcorn
TONIGHT!-CURRY!!! chickpea/potato/peas/carrots..can't wait!
Sat-will prob be soup with the broth that I have cooking on the stove
I've even stopped making bread b/c of being so busy! Forgot the price of bread! Really looking forward to starting a fresh week.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 03-27-2009, 07:51 PM

Tonight is pizza and movie night. I've got dough rising in the bread machine, and I'm thinking of topping it with tomato sauce and cashew cheeze sauce, and some spinach leaves.

We'll have fresh pineapple for dessert.

And I think we're watching Penelope.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 PM

I'm making pizza tonight. The kids are helping so I should be cleaning up flour utnil midnight . We are doing Neopolitan style pizza on the bricks:
Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 PM

Last night was roasted potatoes, beet and green salad w/ manadrin oranges, white bean salad.
Tonight is beans and homemade tortillas and sauteed chard.

User Tag List