MARCH Veg what's for dinner thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 191 Old 03-02-2009, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't see a new thread and just turned the page on my calendar.

I hope March is a little more creative for us!

Anyone have any good suggestions on what to do with a red cabbage? I'm thinking something spicy, and to go with tempeh. None of my cookbooks have anything good. My ds likes to pick out a veggie to eat raw from the co-op, but then never finishes it so it's up to me to come up with a dinner idea for it.
#2 of 191 Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 PM

Tonight is minestrone soup and pumpkin muffins. Tomorrow will be tofu tacos and the day after that will be open-faced sauteed carrot, cabbage, and mushroom sandwiches with blue cheese dressing and dill. :

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#3 of 191 Old 03-02-2009, 08:21 PM

Tonight I made a Barley Vegetable soup from Real Simple. http://www.realsimple.com/food-recip...873/index.html I did NOT make a 16 serving version though. I made 1/2 and figured I should find out if we like it first! Smells good! :

I also made muffins with DD-blueberry and banana for in the mornings and cheddar cheese ones to eat with the soup. They should be coming out of the oven in about 2 minutes.

And then DD and I made choc chip cookies. I don't really understand the brown sugar thing. I never keep brown sugar on hand. I just use regular sugar and then molasses.

Okay, there's the muffins! Wish me luck, I've never made them before!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#4 of 191 Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Tonight was rice and roasted broccoli, plus grilled chicken for DH.

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
#5 of 191 Old 03-03-2009, 12:16 AM

tonight was cocconut red lentil soup. yum!

this week
beans and rice
mexican stuffed potatoes
mushroom strganoff and sauteed spin
breakfast for dinner
spaghetti and salad
polenta and red pepper fontina bake with peas
thai curry
chili cheese fries with beans and salad

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#6 of 191 Old 03-03-2009, 12:18 AM

ohh an on the red cabbage front i would make either a thai slaw with mayo onions and sirachi chili or
a spicy saurkraut. i have seen recipes around asian food or in nourishing traditions.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#7 of 191 Old 03-03-2009, 01:27 AM

I am a new vegetarian and looove it. Since I am the only one so far : (hopefully I will get the kids to go that way) I had the amys vegetarian asian noodles. I loooove her vegan pot pie too. I have noticed that alot of vegetarian dishes have cheese and cant have them since I am also lactose intolerant. It is ok for vegetarians to have eggs right? told ya I am knew to this. I dont eat any meat what so ever but was wondering if eggs are considered meat at all. I dont know if I could go totally vegan if i decide to it will be a slow process. although I have only had eggs once since I started the vegetarian thing. By the way I feel sooo much better after i eat this way then I ever did with meat.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#8 of 191 Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdipemomof2boy View Post
I am a new vegetarian and looove it. Since I am the only one so far : (hopefully I will get the kids to go that way) I had the amys vegetarian asian noodles. I loooove her vegan pot pie too. I have noticed that alot of vegetarian dishes have cheese and cant have them since I am also lactose intolerant. It is ok for vegetarians to have eggs right? told ya I am knew to this. I dont eat any meat what so ever but was wondering if eggs are considered meat at all. I dont know if I could go totally vegan if i decide to it will be a slow process. although I have only had eggs once since I started the vegetarian thing. By the way I feel sooo much better after i eat this way then I ever did with meat.
Typically "vegetarian" means ovo-lacto vegetarian, which means someone who eats eggs and dairy but no meat, fish, or gelatin. Since you don't eat dairy but do eat eggs, you're an ovo-vegetarian. Vegans don't eat eggs or dairy.

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
#9 of 191 Old 03-03-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post

Anyone have any good suggestions on what to do with a red cabbage? I'm thinking something spicy, and to go with tempeh. None of my cookbooks have anything good. My ds likes to pick out a veggie to eat raw from the co-op, but then never finishes it so it's up to me to come up with a dinner idea for it.
Red cabbage is sooo good pickled, and that brief soak in vinegar turns it a beautiful deep pink color too. It only takes about a day. Once its done serve it on top of falafil sandwiches or as part of a mezza feast.

For myself, ever since I found that the local asian food market has a constant supply of good-quality, cheap basil I have been gorging myself on pesto. I feel a bit guilty about it though as I know they have it shipped out from California once a week...and those food miles bug me.

Did you know that pesto is good on everything (and that really good vegan pesto can be made with tahini subbing for Parmesan cheese?).
#10 of 191 Old 03-03-2009, 12:58 PM

Last night was brown rice pasta spirals with a combination of marinara sauce and cashew cheese with basil - it makes it kind of a creamy red sauce, and it's sooooo good! We had a few frozen Nate's faux meatballs in the freezer, so those got thrown into the sauce, too.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#11 of 191 Old 03-03-2009, 12:59 PM

Sunday night I made the most AMAZING gluten cutlets, basically using this recipe from VeganDad: Seitan Scaloppine, but I used white wine instead of marsala, since that's all I had. It was OUT OF THIS WORLD. I served it with fresh rolls and steamed broccoli. We also made the almond shortcakes from his blog, but I don't like how they came out -- like heavy scones, not very good flavor.

Last night the kids and I were full from snacking all afternoon as we watched movies (weird Illinois school holiday yesterday), so we just made hummus and ate it with tortilla chips and raw veggies.

I'm not sure what's tonight. I have a feeling it will be something really slapped together, since we don't get home until after 5. Oh well!
#12 of 191 Old 03-03-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldumm View Post
mexican stuffed potatoes
I'm putting this on the menu! That sounds fantastic!

Tonight should be roasted eggplant sandwiches on a good roasted garlic sourdough bread with lemon-dill aioli, roasted cauliflower, and something else... maybe salad, maybe green beans.

Cooking has been so hard during this pregnancy! I haven't had the desire at all!

love.gif

#13 of 191 Old 03-03-2009, 01:37 PM

This week is pretty simple because dh is away and I'm on my own with the four little ones.

Last night we had teriyaki tofu, potato gnocci and a side of broccoli and cauliflower. Dessert was homemade zucchini bread.

Tonight I think we'll go for rice/black bean wraps and some sort of vegetable on the side.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#14 of 191 Old 03-03-2009, 03:19 PM

last night was spinach, onion, "bacon" quiche (recipe from vegan vittles).
salad with chopped broccoli.

tonight is lemon chickpea soup, garlic bread, and salad with honey mustard salad dressing.

#15 of 191 Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 PM

last night was roasted brussel sprouts, potatoes and mushrooms with a salad. It was fantastic.

Tonight is going to be bierocks (with mushroom/kraut filling) which is going to be a first attempt at an adaptation so who knows... it could also be cereal night.

Thurs is going to be chopped salad sandwiches... which is like a green salad with lots of goodies (olives, pickeled veggies etc) sandwiched into crusty bread with a lot of dressing and let to sit for a few hours. Yum.
#16 of 191 Old 03-03-2009, 09:28 PM

We are happily munching macaroni & cheez sauce, with peas & corn! :
#17 of 191 Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 PM

Tonight was penne pasta with spinach and canellini beans sauteed in olive oil, garlic, and lots of S&P.

#18 of 191 Old 03-04-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SollysMom View Post
Typically "vegetarian" means ovo-lacto vegetarian, which means someone who eats eggs and dairy but no meat, fish, or gelatin. Since you don't eat dairy but do eat eggs, you're an ovo-vegetarian. Vegans don't eat eggs or dairy.

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me. Until today I didnt even eat eggs but today I had to break down. I just thought I was being vegetarian since I was eating bread from eggs and dairy. I didnt know thanks for clearing that up.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#19 of 191 Old 03-04-2009, 01:01 AM

Tonight I made an Asian menu: rice noodles with veggies and eban sprouts, a salad with red cabbage and bok choi and sesame dressing, and soy & honey baked tofu.

I think tomorrow will be roasted asparagus pasta with sun-dried tomatoes and pine-nuts.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#20 of 191 Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM

Last night was spinach-basil-parsley pesto pasta with brown rice spirals for DS & DH. DS has been on a pasta kick lately. I had a sandwich with cashew cheese, field roast slices, olive tapanade and romaine, because I had to leave early to go see Alfie Kohn speak!

#21 of 191 Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 PM

I always feel so out of place posting our meals here because they are so boring. Mainly I am here for inspiration. However here is our plan for the next 1 1/2 weeks, in no real order:

pancakes & eggs
salad & baked potato
ravioli & salad
oat & walnut patties, mashed potatoes & corn
lemoney garlic barley w/ roasted broccolini & asparagus
honey lentils w/ rice & sweet potato
lentil & rice tacos
pasta primavera
orange ginger tofu w/ snap peas & rice noodles

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#22 of 191 Old 03-04-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I always feel so out of place posting our meals here because they are so boring. Mainly I am here for inspiration. However here is our plan for the next 1 1/2 weeks, in no real order:

pancakes & eggs
salad & baked potato
ravioli & salad
oat & walnut patties, mashed potatoes & corn
lemoney garlic barley w/ roasted broccolini & asparagus
honey lentils w/ rice & sweet potato
lentil & rice tacos
pasta primavera
orange ginger tofu w/ snap peas & rice noodles
that doesn't sound boring to me What recipe for oat and walnut patties do you use?
#23 of 191 Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 PM

Tonight was my maiden voyage making honeybaked lentils (the casserole-version, with rice). I think I baked it too long because it came out a little dry, but not bad. DH liked them too.

#24 of 191 Old 03-04-2009, 11:34 PM

Tonight was our breakfast for dinner night and I made blueberry waffles.

Thursday: Bean burritos, with chips and queso.
Friday: Grilled cheese sandwiches with salad.
Saturday: Spinach enchiladas, refried beans and mexican rice.

#25 of 191 Old 03-05-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
that doesn't sound boring to me What recipe for oat and walnut patties do you use?
I want the oat/walnut patties recipe too

How do you do orange ginger tofu...mine never comes out orangey enough, last time I used 4 oranges plus the zest and only a few bites tasted orangey

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#26 of 191 Old 03-05-2009, 12:05 AM

Last night was miso noodle soup w tofu, seaweed,chia seeds and cut up cucmber, carrots,broccoli and red peppers

Tonight was brown rice cooked in veg juice w pinto beans, madeinto a cold salad w the left over raw veg frm last night with garlic, ginger, fresh dill, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds flax seeds, peas, corn,seaweed,diced hot peppers and a wasabi/sesame/rice vinegar dressing...basically whatever looked good thrown into a bowl

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#27 of 191 Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Last night was brown rice pasta spirals with a combination of marinara sauce and cashew cheese with basil - it makes it kind of a creamy red sauce, and it's sooooo good!
that's brilliant! why haven't i thought of that before?

and how was alfie kohn?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddledebi View Post
Sunday night I made the most AMAZING gluten cutlets, basically using this recipe from VeganDad: Seitan Scaloppine, but I used white wine instead of marsala, since that's all I had. It was OUT OF THIS WORLD.
i have been meaning to make those!

so tonight was golden lentil stew with homemade potato rolls -- delish!

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#28 of 191 Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Tomorrow night I'm making veggie and tofu moo shu (Chinese "pancakes"). : Pregnancy has given me a craving for all things Asian.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#29 of 191 Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robina_josephine View Post
and how was alfie kohn?!?
He was awesome! The topic was Homework, which at first I was kind of like "ehhh..." because we plan to homeschool (and my dude is only 2 1/2). But, of course, he didn't just talk about homework, and it was absolutely incendiary. The audience was full of teachers and administrators (and parents) and I think he might have fomented a little revolution. He is an amazing speaker, very funny and engaging. If you ever get the chance to see him speak - no matter the specific topic! - I say definitely check it out.

Last night we had biscuits and sausage-almond gravy and leftover warmed up smoky collard greens.

#30 of 191 Old 03-05-2009, 07:58 PM

Last night I shamefully dropped some baked boca chik'n nuggets into a bowl and covered them with steamed veggies and sweet-n-sour sauce. It was good, though, and took less than 15 minutes!

Right now I'm making a potato and broccoli-with-asian-dressing frittata. It smells HEAVENLY! We'll have it with homemade million-grain bread. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page