May Veg: What's For Dinner? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 131 Old 05-18-2009, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night was potato enchiladas with beans & rice.

Tonight will be sesame ginger noodles with broc from Quick-Fix Vegetarian with sliced peppers & cucumber on the side & watermelon for desert.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#62 of 131 Old 05-18-2009, 10:43 PM

Last night was PB&J. :

Tonight was Crispy "Chicken" (Quorn) on a green salad with Goddess dressing.

Tomorrow is Carribean Red Bean Stew (supposed to be chilly and rainy tomorrow).

I finally found the Field Roast sausages at Safeway this afternoon, so Wednesday will be sausage, mashed potatoes, and maybe biscuits? Can't wait to try them!

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#63 of 131 Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight was Thai Tofu and Pineapple (Vegan Express) over brown basmati rice. It wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. It had a some interesting mild flavors, but it really needed some kind of kick that was missing. And more salt.

We also had a great spring salad mix from the farmers market with Back-to-Basics Balsamic Vinaigrette (ED&BV) - my DH wants to marry that dressing.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#64 of 131 Old 05-18-2009, 10:57 PM

We had CORD - clean out the refrigerator dinner. There was garlic mashed potatoes, spinach and red peppers, carrot salad, and fried polenta.

Tomorrow will be potato rolled tacos and beans.
#65 of 131 Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 AM

Last night was roti and curry frm the Caribbean restaurant he played the night before.

We've been eating a lot of bits and bits and no real meals, since dh is at work and ds is going through some weird eating thing again.:

He's become obsessed with alphabet pasta so I'm hoping that tonight I can get him to try alphabet vegetable soup. We'll see. All depends on how long I'm stuck at dd's check-up. Her apt is at 10:30 so we'll be out about 4. Then I get to tackle the grocery store so dinner might end up being grocery store sushi

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#66 of 131 Old 05-19-2009, 02:13 PM

Tonight I am going to try the vegan spinich lasagna for Quick Fix Vegetarian. So far I this book! Everything seems to need a little extra flavor for may family, but other than that it has all been great.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#67 of 131 Old 05-19-2009, 06:33 PM

spring panzanella tonight!
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...la-recipe.html

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#68 of 131 Old 05-21-2009, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've gotten into the crockpot recently and am experimenting with recipes. So far I've made several I found on the internet.

Tonight was curried chickpeas. Okay, but not stellar.

Last night was a vegetarian stew with dumplings. Except I don't like cooked carrots so I kept those out and doubled the green beans and added dried wild mushrooms. The dumplings were a bit weird so next time I'd make it without them and serve it over rice. The baby loved the tofu. http://www.mail-archive.com/free-rec.../msg02310.html

Sunday was an amazing wild mushroom risotto. I'm contemplating/transitioning to vegan but haven't gotten there yet so we used regular Parmesan cheese. It was amazing. http://www.fatfreevegan.com/crockpot/1066.shtml

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#69 of 131 Old 05-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Tonight I attempted navy bean nuggets. We had them with salad for me and sliced cucumber and tomatoes for ds. It was good. Ds tried them at least. He ended up dipping them a bit in ketchup But at least he ate them...any one got a sugar-free healthy ketchup idea b/c I hate him eating that stuff!

#70 of 131 Old 05-21-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
Tonight I attempted navy bean nuggets. We had them with salad for me and sliced cucumber and tomatoes for ds. It was good. Ds tried them at least. He ended up dipping them a bit in ketchup But at least he ate them...any one got a sugar-free healthy ketchup idea b/c I hate him eating that stuff!
We get an organic ketchup that's sweetened with agave instead of sugar - love it! You can also make your own ketchup - I never have, but supposedly it's really easy. You could sweeten it with whatever doesn't make you crazy.

Last night we had West African Peanut Soup out of the cookbook Local Bounty. It was really good. Next time I think I would pulse the collard greens in the food processor first, because the 1" strips she called for were really hard to eat, especially for DS. But it was super creamy and delicious.

Tonight we're leaving for my parents' house (3 hour drive), so it'll be super easy spaghetti with red sauce and some Nate's faux meatballs before we hit the road. I might shred a zucchini into the sauce and blend it with my immersion blender...hee hee!

#71 of 131 Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=Keeta;13806347]We get an organic ketchup that's sweetened with agave instead of sugar - love it! You can also make your own ketchup - I never have, but supposedly it's really easy. You could sweeten it with whatever doesn't make you crazy.

What is the brand name of this ketchup? I was thinking of making my own and sweetening it with agave. Anything is better then what we have now

#72 of 131 Old 05-21-2009, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What is the brand name of this ketchup? I was thinking of making my own and sweetening it with agave. Anything is better then what we have now
The brand is Organicville (Organic Ketchup). The second ingredient is agave, but hey, it beats HFCS or white sugar!

#73 of 131 Old 05-22-2009, 02:27 AM

Probably a sandwich, a burrito, or soup and whatever else I can find. I need to eat what I have.
#74 of 131 Old 05-22-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:

I'd love the recipe for the navy bean nuggets. :

Tonight it is finally cool enough to turn on the oven, so if I can get my kitchen cleaned up in time we will FINALLY have the vegan tofu & spinach lasagna. YAY!

#75 of 131 Old 05-22-2009, 05:24 PM

I don't know if I've ever posted on this thread, but I'm a lurker I always get so hungry reading everyone's dinner plans. I wish I was a better cook!

Anyway, tonight I am making a tomato, herb, and walnut pasta. It's one of the few dishes I know I can make!

For lunch today I had a grilled cheese with sliced tomato and fresh dill. It was very yummy :

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#76 of 131 Old 05-22-2009, 05:33 PM

I am not a great cook at all but what I do is I take what we have eaten in the past (when I ate meat) and tweak it with veggies or get the fake meat and use that as a substitute. I could never have milk so I am used to cooking with the veggie cheese or soy milk. I love making stuff such as cold salads and chick'n tacos using the fake meat. Anyway I didnt really have much to post just that today for lunch I had veggie pizza and tonight it is left over spaghetti without the meat. I really like it better without meat I hated spaghetti before but without meat I will go for seconds wierd huh.:

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#77 of 131 Old 05-22-2009, 05:46 PM

Glazed Carrot Soup with Garlic, Tequila and Lime (in the soup, not on the side!!!)
Recipe found here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=gNA...esult&resnum=1

and
#78 of 131 Old 05-22-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
I LOVE Field Roast!!! : They are hands down the best vegetarian meat products in the world. The Smoked Apple Sage Sausages are my favorites - great straight or for dicing up for biscuits and sausage gravy - I think they have the most versatile flavor of all of them. The Celebration Roast is awesome, too. I like the Italian sausages ok, but the Chipotle ones are too hot for my family (and we like spicy things!). The deli slices are all good, I think the lentil sage are my favorite.
I bought the field roast today but I got the thin slices by mistake. Their the only ones I saw at whole foods but probably didn't look in the right place. I was hoping to have it for dinner tonight. Hmnnn not sure how to prepare the slices other than a sandwich. I saw a recipe for a reuben online which I think I'll try tomorrow. Maybe I'll try heating a few slices in the oven.
#79 of 131 Old 05-22-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post
I bought the field roast today but I got the thin slices by mistake. Their the only ones I saw at whole foods but probably didn't look in the right place. I was hoping to have it for dinner tonight. Hmnnn not sure how to prepare the slices other than a sandwich. I saw a recipe for a reuben online which I think I'll try tomorrow. Maybe I'll try heating a few slices in the oven.
We love making panini with the slices, some avocado or cashew cheese...or if you wanted a more hot dinner kind of meal, the first thing that sprang to mind was open faced sandwiches: slices of sandwich bread, field roast covered in veggie brown gravy. Mmm, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

We're at a(n unschooling) conference, so dinner tonight will be Chipotle.

#80 of 131 Old 05-23-2009, 12:39 AM

tonight was fettucine with fiddleheads, asparagus, and mushrooms. i am loving all the spring produce lately!

last night was a mexican lasagne, which was good but nothing to write home about.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#81 of 131 Old 05-23-2009, 05:21 AM

I've not been around much, mainly because I have been a lazy cook over the last week. My new spices just arrived from Korea, so I'll definitely be around again. Any good ideas for asparagus, btw? They are expensive here, and will be a real treat,so I want to make a nice meal out of them.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#82 of 131 Old 05-23-2009, 05:25 AM

Soup looks really nice, BaBaBa - I also like the looks of the cauliflower soup on the same page!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#83 of 131 Old 05-23-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I'd love the recipe for the navy bean nuggets. :

Tonight it is finally cool enough to turn on the oven, so if I can get my kitchen cleaned up in time we will FINALLY have the vegan tofu & spinach lasagna. YAY!
I didn't follow a recipe or really make a recipe but I'll try and rig one up. And I'll add changes for what was wrong.

-Cooked navy beans( I think I had about 3 cups. I wanted leftovers,canneds fine, I used dried, cooked them longer then normal so they would mash easily since we burnt out ANOTHER blender)
-sauteed 2 small diced onions, 1/2 bulb of diced garlic(next time I would prob just throw them in raw since the nuggets bake so long)
-Next time I would add some veggies, like a bit of grated carrot. I just wanted ds to eat them so I didn't sway from white and possibly some nutritional yeast.
-Blend all together
-Put in bowl and add spices, and flour, I think mine was *about* 1/4 c(just go little by little until its like a wet dough that you can form, mine we're prob too wet)
-Add spices of your choosing(I used chili, cumin, pepper, thyme)
-Mold into little patties/nuggets/sticks whatever
-I used a mixture of homemade ww bread crumbs, unsalted saltines, corn flour, ww flour, garlic powder(next time I would add nutritional yeast.
-I lightly rolled it in the coating then, dunked it into a mixture of almond milk, and a touch of vinegar(next time I would add dijon mustard), Then dunked it into the crumbs again.
-Lined them onto a oiled bread pan and put them into the oven at 350. I cooked them for what seemed like an hour. Next time I wouldn't make them so wet and I'd cook them at a higher temperature.
HTH

#84 of 131 Old 05-23-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I didn't follow a recipe or really make a recipe but I'll try and rig one up. And I'll add changes for what was wrong.

-Cooked navy beans( I think I had about 3 cups. I wanted leftovers,canneds fine, I used dried, cooked them longer then normal so they would mash easily since we burnt out ANOTHER blender)
-sauteed 2 small diced onions, 1/2 bulb of diced garlic(next time I would prob just throw them in raw since the nuggets bake so long)
-Next time I would add some veggies, like a bit of grated carrot. I just wanted ds to eat them so I didn't sway from white and possibly some nutritional yeast.
-Blend all together
-Put in bowl and add spices, and flour, I think mine was *about* 1/4 c(just go little by little until its like a wet dough that you can form, mine we're prob too wet)
-Add spices of your choosing(I used chili, cumin, pepper, thyme)
-Mold into little patties/nuggets/sticks whatever
-I used a mixture of homemade ww bread crumbs, unsalted saltines, corn flour, ww flour, garlic powder(next time I would add nutritional yeast.
-I lightly rolled it in the coating then, dunked it into a mixture of almond milk, and a touch of vinegar(next time I would add dijon mustard), Then dunked it into the crumbs again.
-Lined them onto a oiled bread pan and put them into the oven at 350. I cooked them for what seemed like an hour. Next time I wouldn't make them so wet and I'd cook them at a higher temperature.
HTH
That sounds great! Thanks!

#85 of 131 Old 05-23-2009, 07:23 PM

Tonight I made baked tofu marinated in tahini/lemon and other things. And scalloped potatoes all vegan. Waiting for dh to get home(atleast 3 more hours!) then I'll make a tossed salad to go with everything. Taste tested everything...not my best meal, but with some little modifications, it could be really good

Off to make dh's lunch..BAH

#86 of 131 Old 05-23-2009, 11:52 PM

Mmmm. We went out for vegan Mexican food at Pokez in San Diego and it was so good! One daughter and I had potato flautas with rice and beans, one daughter had potato rolled tacos with guacamole, my son had a plate with chips and beans and salsa and guacamole and who knows what else. Dh had a vegetable taco and a bean burrito.
#87 of 131 Old 05-24-2009, 03:06 AM

I ordered a takeaway last night . It was traditional Serbian food, which I don't normally like, but it was nice since I was very hungry. It was cheap, too. We had traditional cabbage parcels filled with veggies, bean dish, two big rolls with a traditional pepper paste, and homemade sugarless cookies, all for like $10. We'll be having it for breakfast too.

#88 of 131 Old 05-24-2009, 09:50 PM

I made traditional Chinese Fried Rice from Quick and Easy Asian Vegetarian Recipes. Instead of brown rice I subbed quinoa, and was out of mushrooms so I added zucchini, and topped it off with sliced avocado. Yummy light summery meal, and even my vegetable averse 3 yr old willingly tried it because she said it looked so yummy!
#89 of 131 Old 05-24-2009, 11:15 PM

I made a casserole with brown rice, cheese and veggies and fresh herbs from our CSA box. It was very yummy and tasted like summer.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#90 of 131 Old 05-25-2009, 12:18 AM

Well.....

It was graduation weekend and we had two college graduates. So, it was another dinner out. Buca di Beppo is not too veg friendly, is it?

And tomorrow we are taking our out of town guest to a new vegan fast food drive thru!!! Burgers, fries and shakes - all vegan. Amazing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page