how do you eat nutritional yeast? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we are vegan and i am trying to get more nutritional yeast into our diet for the b vits. (b12 to be exact, it does have b12 right?) so right now i just use it mixed with braggs (heard that makes it a complete protein, is that true?) on popcorn or pasta or rice, but this is mostly for my lo as i don't care too much for the taste of that. but that's it. somtimes if i remember i will sprinkle a little in pasta sauces right before it's served. i think i heard it shouldn't be heated or, like most food, it loses nutients. also haven't tried any of the cheeze recipies floating around that are heavy with yeast because it doesn't sound very good to me (not a huge fan of vegan vesions of meat/cheese, if i really want cheese/meat i will eat the real thing).

anyway how do you use it?

excuse the typos as i am nursing while typing with one hand
#2 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I make it into gravy. Saute some onions in canola oil, add flour and LOTS of nutritional yeast, once you have a paste slowly add milk (or milk substitute.) I love it over home made dumplings.

I don't know about losing nutrients when it's heated, but this is really yummy. Watch out for REALLY VIBRANT YELLOW pee after eating it.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 01:50 AM

We put it in our favorite scrambled tofu recipe. I have friends who sprinkle it on popcorn, although I think it makes your mouth feel funny On top of a salad is good too.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#4 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 12:36 PM

I put it on pasta, and I sprinkle it on popcorn. I add it to my tofu scramble. I also make several recipes with nooch sauce:

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=12238.0

I use that for vegan enchiladas, macaroni and chreese, broccoloi casserole, nachos, etc. It's basically just veggie broth, nooch, and some seasoning, so it's pretty good for you!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#5 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 01:41 PM

Ha-ha! I wondered why my pee was so yellow sometimes!

I use nutritional yeast in a lot of things. Like the previous posters, I do make several "cheese" recipes with it. I have also added it to soups, casseroles, scrambled tofu, tofu ricotta, tofu quiche, breading for baked tofu...and yes there is vitamin B 12 in it. And protein, and lots of other good stuff.

I recently saw a simple recipe on someone's blog...A toasted English muffin, drizzled with a bit of olive oil, nutritional yeast and sea salt. It would make a quick, easy snack.

Jade : -Writing, vegan mom of Garrett, Drew, and Grace. Into feeling:
#6 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 09:36 PM

I just started using it in a fresh veggie salad - snap peas, red pepper, olive oil, sea salt and brewers - yummy!
#7 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 11:20 PM

I put it in everything, my kids love it on simple pasta with olive oil and veggies, popcorn (add dill or chili powder, so yummy), stirred into refried beans, soups to make them creamy, hummus. I don't know, I just love the stuff.

FYI, we still take vegan multi vitamins with b12, so I don't use the yeast as our sole b12 fix.
#8 of 32 Old 05-25-2009, 03:25 PM

Location: New England (but planning a move in the next year or two...)
I make the BEST gravy with it:

1/4 c red star nutritional yeast
1/4 c ww pastry flour
1/4 c organic a/p flour

mix together and spread on baking sheet- toast in oven until slightly browned and smells toasty.

in a large saute pan add the flours/nut. yeast and about 1/4 cu olive oil or canola oil (maybe even more...) whisk until smooth and heat on med heat until bubbles. add 2 cups of water and whisk smooth. add a bay leaf, 1 tsp dried sage, 1/4 cup organic tamari soy sauce, 1/2 tsp onion powder. whisk smooth again (add more water if it is too thick). bring to a boil and then just lower the heat. remove bay leaf and serve over mashed potatoes... yum! Or over toast w/ a layer roasted toforkey slices.

*I also love nut'l yeast sprinkled over popcorn.
*add a tablespoon to soup... it adds a nice "cheesey" taste
#9 of 32 Old 05-27-2009, 12:47 PM

A nutritional yeast gravy makes an AWESOME pot pie gravy. I also sometimes make a batch of gravy and leave it in the fridge for a few days to dress up baked potatoes for quick lunches.
#10 of 32 Old 05-28-2009, 05:18 PM
rrs

I make a broth with it.

1 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp sage
1 tbsp thyme
A pinch of salt

Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor (I use the Magic Bullet for this). I just save it in a jar with a tight fitting lid. When I want to make the broth, I use 2 tbsp of the powder per cup boiling water.

Our favorite way to use this broth is for Brussels sprouts.

I heat olive oil, and some spices (whatever I feel like that day) in a deep pan. I through in a package of frozen Brussels sprouts, let them cook for a bit (and if I've really got my act together, I'll have defrosted them, at least a bit), then add the broth to cover, then cover the pan. I braise the Brussels sprouts like this until they are tender, and the liquid has evaporated. We LOVE them.

Rebecca, mama to Carter Elliot , 06 November 07, Holden Oliver, 10 November 09, and Harper Lucinda Amelie, 26 September 11 and someone new, coming at the end of September 2013.

#11 of 32 Old 05-28-2009, 08:07 PM

I put it on everything. Soups, salads, popcorn, vegetables, beans...anything savory, really. We keep it at the table and use it like salt/pepper.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#12 of 32 Old 05-29-2009, 11:06 PM

my favorite way is on popcorn.
#13 of 32 Old 05-31-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
I put it on everything. Soups, salads, popcorn, vegetables, beans...anything savory, really. We keep it at the table and use it like salt/pepper.
me too, I put it in a glass container thingy like diners use for sugar and just sprinkle it on whatever. I like the way it tastes though...
#14 of 32 Old 05-31-2009, 07:50 PM

The UnCheese Cookbook has a good grilled cheese recipe that we use a few times a month w/tomato soup.

Other than that I like to melt a little margarine over cooked pasta and throw a ton of nooch on it. Makes like a macaroni and cheese sort of dish. A dash of salt and pepper and it's soooo delicious!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#15 of 32 Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 AM

I'm another sprinkler on everythinger!

And mmmmmm cheezey sauce :

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#16 of 32 Old 06-01-2009, 04:20 PM

I put it on toasted pumpkin seeds.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#17 of 32 Old 06-03-2009, 12:06 PM

I sprinkle it on any kind of pasta dish, veggies and popcorn
Will have to try to make those mentioned sauces with it!

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#18 of 32 Old 06-12-2009, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The main way we eat it is in this pasta-and-veggie dish that we have practically every week.

On buttered or olive-oiled toast. It is particularly delicious with sliced tomato and a little dill. : That's my favorite summer breakfast!

Press the water out of firm tofu and then roll each chunk in nutritional yeast and barbecue sauce. (I like to spread the yeast on a plate and drizzle the sauce on it, then press the tofu into it on one side then the other; the uneven seasoning makes it more interesting IMO.) Bake on a well-oiled pan at 375F for 10 minutes or until edges crisp.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#19 of 32 Old 06-12-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post
The main way we eat it is in this pasta-and-veggie dish that we have practically every week.

On buttered or olive-oiled toast. It is particularly delicious with sliced tomato and a little dill. : That's my favorite summer breakfast!

Press the water out of firm tofu and then roll each chunk in nutritional yeast and barbecue sauce. (I like to spread the yeast on a plate and drizzle the sauce on it, then press the tofu into it on one side then the other; the uneven seasoning makes it more interesting IMO.) Bake on a well-oiled pan at 375F for 10 minutes or until edges crisp.
Oh my, that improved pasta-veggie dish sounds delishious! :

I tried the sauce today and loved it! (Hubby not so much -not to mention the kids - but ok, then I'll have more for myself ) I'll try it with the tomato and a little dill on fresh bread next!

#20 of 32 Old 06-12-2009, 07:57 PM

Parmezano!

We sprinkle it on everything:

1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp italian seasoning

Mix in bowl, put in parmesan cheese shaker and put it on ANYTHING! Soups, casseroles, pizza, pasta, rice, veggies, etc etc....
#21 of 32 Old 06-12-2009, 09:40 PM

I loooove nutritional yeast, I consider it a "must have" in the pantry. All of the above uses, plus when I make homemade seitan.
#22 of 32 Old 06-13-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahappymel View Post
Parmezano!

We sprinkle it on everything:

1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp italian seasoning

Mix in bowl, put in parmesan cheese shaker and put it on ANYTHING! Soups, casseroles, pizza, pasta, rice, veggies, etc etc....

Ohh.. I've never thought of combining it with other seasoning etc. (Not sure where I would get almond meal here though..)

#23 of 32 Old 06-13-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs joe bubby View Post
I loooove nutritional yeast, I consider it a "must have" in the pantry. All of the above uses, plus when I make homemade seitan.
Ohh.. Would you mind sharing your Seitan recipe, pretty please?? I've tried and failed 2x, always ending up with a spongy mess..

#24 of 32 Old 06-13-2009, 02:35 PM

I know the soggy mess well. I tried a new recipe awhile back that turned out that way. Oh, the texture is so nasty... :Puke

Anyway here's a couple of my favorite recipes. The "pepperoni" is really popular around here. :

http://www.eatmedelicious.com/2009/0...seitan_31.html

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/04...pepperoni.html
#25 of 32 Old 06-13-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs joe bubby View Post
I know the soggy mess well. I tried a new recipe awhile back that turned out that way. Oh, the texture is so nasty... :Puke

Anyway here's a couple of my favorite recipes. The "pepperoni" is really popular around here. :

http://www.eatmedelicious.com/2009/0...seitan_31.html

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/04...pepperoni.html
Thank you so much for the 2 links! I'll give it another try with the first recipe tomorrow!

Yeah, the soggy mess didn't go well, especially with Hubby whom I'm trying to move over to become more and more a vegetarian and clearly a soggy 'sponge' as he called it didn't make him look forward to giving up meat and having this type of food instead!

#26 of 32 Old 06-13-2009, 05:36 PM

i make breaded baked tofu. but i don't have a recipe i just make it up each time. it tastes sort of like fish sticks only it is yummy (i don't like how real fish sticks taste but i love breaded baked tofu)

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#27 of 32 Old 06-13-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMOmmyOf2 View Post
Ohh.. I've never thought of combining it with other seasoning etc. (Not sure where I would get almond meal here though..)
You could just put raw almonds in the food processer and blend until they are "mealy"
#28 of 32 Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 PM

I also think "Parmezano" would be good with just the nutrititional yeast (1 cup) and spices.
#29 of 32 Old 06-13-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMOmmyOf2 View Post
Thank you so much for the 2 links! I'll give it another try with the first recipe tomorrow!

Yeah, the soggy mess didn't go well, especially with Hubby whom I'm trying to move over to become more and more a vegetarian and clearly a soggy 'sponge' as he called it didn't make him look forward to giving up meat and having this type of food instead!
I've been a vegetarian for 20 years and have eaten every meat substitute I could find, just for fun, the weirder the better. Even I couldn't stomach the spongy seitan. The texture just reminded me of brains. : Good luck with the other recipe though!
#30 of 32 Old 06-13-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
i make breaded baked tofu. but i don't have a recipe i just make it up each time. it tastes sort of like fish sticks only it is yummy (i don't like how real fish sticks taste but i love breaded baked tofu)
Oh yeah that's a good one! I make southern-fried tofu with it too, the seasoning mix I make calls for about a cup and a half of nutritional yeast. I love making it for omnis, people who swore they would never try tofu will end up eating the whole batch.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page