June Veg-What's for dinner??? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 154 Old 06-27-2009, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night was tofu scramble (from VwaV), salad and rye toast.

Tonight - OMG, we have so many CSA veggies to eat, I'm going to die. Somehow when we planned to a) join a CSA and b) get pregnant this summer, I failed to remember how difficult it is to eat/cook anything when in the first trimester. Ugh. I can see a lot of bossing my DH around from the kitchen table in how to cook things.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 154 Old 06-27-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
b) get pregnant this summer, I failed to remember how difficult it is to eat/cook anything when in the first trimester. Ugh. I can see a lot of bossing my DH around from the kitchen table in how to cook things.
Oh wow, congratulations, Chessa!!!
I completely overlooked your newest signature!
Wishing you all the best with your little bean growing!

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#123 of 154 Old 06-27-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMOmmyOf2 View Post
Oh wow, congratulations, Chessa!!!
I completely overlooked your newest signature!
Wishing you all the best with your little bean growing!
Thanks Val!!! We're so excited. But I have to say, I'm looking forward to the 2nd trimester when food is something to be enjoyed again.

#124 of 154 Old 06-28-2009, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
How long do you cook the chickpea curry in the CP? I have a few recipes but never made it in the CP.

Oh.. risotto. I have a big pack of the risotto rice (forgot the proper name ) in my pantry and have yet to make it. Any hints to a risotto novice?
Here's the link to the chickpea curry recipe. It cooked for 6 hours on high. If you need to have it cook longer while you're at work, I'm sure you could set it on low for 9 or 10 hours. http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=701091

Here's the risotto recipe. I've never made it before this recipe. I guess it can be a pain to cook on the cooktop. One time I made it in my mom's crockpot and it didn't come out. I think hers cooks too high so we should have cut back the time as it ended up really mushy. Also, we had regular mushrooms and cremini so we doubled the recipe and I think white mushrooms may have more moisture in them. Not sure. However, in my crockpot at home, this has been super yummy. http://foodgoodness.blogspot.com/200...-crockpot.html

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#125 of 154 Old 06-28-2009, 02:52 PM

chessa, when you disappeared from this thread for a little while i assumed you were pregnant (since i assumed you were still trying) and i'm VERY happy to see i'm right!

last night we did blackened tofu (adapated from edbv), mashed potatoes, and fresh sauteed peas. so delicious!

tonight is grilled pizza and grilled asparagus.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#126 of 154 Old 06-28-2009, 03:13 PM

Dinners around here have been very uninspired lately. In fact we had take out fried rice, chow mein & eggplant tofu last night.

I've always planned my meals based on what veggies I have since they are usually fresh & have to be used up quickly. Lately I just can't think of what to do with the veggies. I have asparagus, green beans & snow peas that I may have to throw out soon since I just can't come up with a meal for them. It doesn't help that DS really doesn't like cooked veggies & I only cook really simple meals that generally only include 1 or 2 types of veggies per meal. Plus I am tired of making the same things over & over again.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#127 of 154 Old 06-28-2009, 03:36 PM

How about steaming all the veggies, rinse in cold water, and make a pasta salad. You could have some for dinner and pack the rest in small containers for snacks and lunches this week.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#128 of 154 Old 06-28-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn_warbler View Post
chessa, when you disappeared from this thread for a little while i assumed you were pregnant (since i assumed you were still trying) and i'm VERY happy to see i'm right!
Thanks, Robina! We are so psyched! :

Last night we made Pumpkin Curry from The Vegan Table (Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's new cookbook), over Jasmine rice. It is sooooooooooo goooooood!!! Really, really easy, too (the only chopping was for onions and garlic). It has red lentils, 2 cans of pureed pumpkin, coconut milk, shredded coconut, chiles, curry powder....it is wonderful! I highly recommend it. :

#129 of 154 Old 06-28-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Thanks Val!!! We're so excited. But I have to say, I'm looking forward to the 2nd trimester when food is something to be enjoyed again.
I can imagine! I remember the 1st tris not being fun!..
Btw, your EDD would be mine & Hubby's b-day!

#130 of 154 Old 06-28-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabysmama View Post
Here's the link to the chickpea curry recipe. It cooked for 6 hours on high. If you need to have it cook longer while you're at work, I'm sure you could set it on low for 9 or 10 hours. http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=701091

Here's the risotto recipe. I've never made it before this recipe. I guess it can be a pain to cook on the cooktop. One time I made it in my mom's crockpot and it didn't come out. I think hers cooks too high so we should have cut back the time as it ended up really mushy. Also, we had regular mushrooms and cremini so we doubled the recipe and I think white mushrooms may have more moisture in them. Not sure. However, in my crockpot at home, this has been super yummy. http://foodgoodness.blogspot.com/200...-crockpot.html
Thank you so much!!! :

Tonight we had Mac 'n Cheese from the crockpot, but it wasn't a success as I wanted it to be. Today just wasn't my/our day.. DD got hurt badly with a fall from her bike, then 1 hr later DS stubbed his toe quite badly as well (and I don't do well with seeing blood on my kids.. I was lucky DH was already home when it happened!).. and all this while the Mac 'n Cheese dish sat in the CP for too long.. I didn't have enough cheese to begin with and it turned out quite dry..: (DH still liked it with Ketchup. Gotta love him for wanting to save my dishes!)

I did make another batch of Vegan Dad's Pretzel bites for the kids (& us grownups *lol*) though (this time with veggie sausages!) and had enough dough for some bread sticks. I made half of the batch sweet w/organic sugar & cinnamon (a definite fix for a cake craving for me!) and the other half savory with garlic, onion & parmesan. (Can you tell I love carbs? )

#131 of 154 Old 06-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I did make another batch of Vegan Dad's Pretzel bites for the kids (& us grownups *lol*) though (this time with veggie sausages!) and had enough dough for some bread sticks. I made half of the batch sweet w/organic sugar & cinnamon (a definite fix for a cake craving for me!) and the other half savory with garlic, onion & parmesan. (Can you tell I love carbs? )
NM, I'm confusing you with mybabysmama and was wondering if you had a gluten free batter for the pretzel bites. sorry

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#132 of 154 Old 06-28-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
NM, I'm confusing you with mybabysmama and was wondering if you had a gluten free batter for the pretzel bites. sorry
LOL, I was just about to answer and tell you that unfortunately it's not GF. Sorry!

#133 of 154 Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 AM

Tonight it's a homemade pizza base with homemade sauce, mozzerella and fresh torn basil, mashed potato and homegrown salald from our garden. Yum!
For the kids for pudding, it's homebaked banana cake.

For breakfast this morning, the kids had freshly made welsh cakes from the griddle. They are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo delicious!

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#134 of 154 Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
Tonight it's a homemade pizza base with homemade sauce, mozzerella and fresh torn basil, mashed potato and homegrown salald from our garden. Yum!
For the kids for pudding, it's homebaked banana cake.

For breakfast this morning, the kids had freshly made welsh cakes from the griddle. They are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo delicious!
What are Welsh cakes? Is it something like pancakes?
I'm always looking for recipes for my kids' breakfasts.

Not sure what we'll have tonight... I'm a bit beside myself emotionally today ... I know, the cabbage in the fridge needs to be eaten/prepared into something (originally planned as sweet & sour cabbage..)
Any ideas what I could make otherwise with cabbage? I feel I need major comfort food...

#135 of 154 Old 06-29-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Dh is gone recording so dinner last night, tonight and tues won't be exciting.

Last night was blueberry 5 grain pancakes w grapes and almond milk
Tonight was leftover take out curry for me and ds had plain tofu, cucumber and veggie juice.

Tues we'll prob have hummus and veg. Wed here is canada day, so I'm thinking I'll try and plan something red lol maybe gazpacho with strawberry shortcakes? Who knows

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#136 of 154 Old 06-30-2009, 12:23 AM

Rice cooked in rice cooker. Nori sheets. Thinly sliced veggies and small bit of cream cheese = SUSHI! With wasabi and low sodium soy sauce.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#137 of 154 Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_y_Paz View Post
Rice cooked in rice cooker. Nori sheets. Thinly sliced veggies and small bit of cream cheese = SUSHI! With wasabi and low sodium soy sauce.
Ohhh.. with cream cheese? I never thought of that! I should make Kapa maki (cucumber) shushi again!

Today's menu is chickpea patties w/mustard sauce, baked potatoes and sweet & sour cabbage.

Last night I defrostet some eggplant parmesan and made garlic bread sticks, served together with a bit of green bean & dried tomato salad and a blueberry cobbler for dessert. :

#138 of 154 Old 06-30-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:

What are Welsh cakes? Is it something like pancakes?
I'm always looking for recipes for my kids' breakfasts.

Welsh cakes are so so so so so delicious, I'm trying to think of a way to describe them, ummmm I don't think they are particularly like pancakes, b/c the mixture is more of a dough that is rolled out and then you use a cutter to cut them out ready to be cooked in the griddle/heavy based frying pan.

So here is the recipe (I really hope you have kitchen weighing scales, we don't really use cup measurements much in the UK) :

225 g (8 oz) Self Raising Flour

pinch of salt

100 g (4 oz) Margarine

75 g (3 oz) caster sugar

50 g (2 oz) raisins

1 medium egg

Here's how you make them:

-mix the flour and salt together and then rub in the margarine with your finger tips. Mix in sugar and raisins.

-Crack the egg into the mixture, using a metal spoon, mix it into a dough. It might look like it won't go into a dough, but it will, just mix it firmly.

-Put dough onto floured surface and roll out to about 5 mm thickness. Make sure you roll the dough thin enough, don't make them too thick as they will rise when you cook them. Using a cookie cutter, cut into rounds. My cookie cutter is about 6 cm across. This mixture makes approx 15!

-Melt a knob of butter in your griddle/frying pan and cook both sides on a low heat for approx 3 - 5 mins both sides until nicely browned. Use a pretty low heat b/c you want to make sure they cook through properly.

-Let them cool a little bit, spread with butter (which all melts in and is soooooooooooooooooooooooo yummy) and eat!!! Seriously, I grew up in Wales and these were such a gorgeous treat! Please make them and tell me how you go!!!!!!!!!!

With the left overs, you can let them go cold and store in an air tight container for a couple of days. I personally prefer them warm spread with butter.

The dough freezes extremely well, so if you cut out all your rounds and don't want to cook them all immediately, simply place them on a baking tray with some non-stick paper on it, open freeze them for about an hour, stack them all into a baggie with a clip on it, freeze them, and then pull off the ones you want when you need them, let them defrost for 15 mins and cook as normal.I make double mixture sometimes especially so i can do this.

Just a note, I think it is important you use a medium sized egg not a large one b/c you don't want the dough to become too wet.

Here's a link to someone who has made them on Flickr so you know what they look like, it looks as if she has dusted them with sugar after cooking them, I never bother to do that:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zingyyellow/3316090246/

What did you do with your cabbage in the end?

#139 of 154 Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:

So here is the recipe (I really hope you have kitchen weighing scales, we don't really use cup measurements much in the UK)
Oh, thank you so much! I'll have to make them! They sound/look delish!
Luckily I do have kitchen scales for grams & kg as I am German and cook with both measurements, depending on the recipe.

Quote:
What did you do with your cabbage in the end?
I didn't make it yesterday at all but will make it today like planned as 'Sweet & sour cabbage'. You can find the recipe here: http://www.veg4health.com/sweetandsourcabbage.html
I absolutely love Nancy's recipes & menu plans! And she's such a sweet person and replies instantly when you e-mail her with questions and such.
Everything I've cooked/baked from her so far always turned out to be a hit!

The blueberry cobbler from last night is from her site too and sooo easy & yummy!
http://www.veg4health.com/Easy_Blueberry_Cobbler.html

#140 of 154 Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Oh, thank you so much! I'll have to make them! They sound/look delish!
Luckily I do have kitchen scales for grams & kg as I am German and cook with both measurements, depending on the recipe.

l[/url]
Sorry, i didn't see your location, I am so used to forum users being from the USA and I have noticed they use recipes with cup measurements in them alot!

#141 of 154 Old 06-30-2009, 11:24 AM

I just had to post here about a wonderful eating experience I had that could have been disastrous with less planning. I went to an outdoor music festival this weekend, the kind where you camp at the festival and people alternate between playing music together and listening to concerts (24 hours a day, almost!!). There are about 8 food vendors there, but it is typical "festival food," meaning fried things and meat and ice cream, basically. Last year there was a stand that sold falafel, but that was the only good veg thing.

This year, mostly due to finances, my friends and I decided to bring a lot of food with us. We really thought about it and planned carefully, and I gotta tell you, we ate like kings!!! Here's what we brought -- we had no camp stove, so everything was in coolers or hanging up around our pop-up canopy in 90 degree weather.

-salad of chickpeas, jicama, and red pepper
-orzo salad with cherry tomatoes, vinaigrette, and herbs
-big lettuce salad with all kinds of stuff in it
-2 kinds of hummus
-peanut butter
-better than cream cheese
-bread
-wasa crackers
-zucchini bread
-frosted mini-wheats
-granola
-soy and almond milks
-blueberries, strawberries, grapes, nectarines, and apples
-chocolate chip cookies
-water and seltzer
-trail mix
-sliced cucumbers
-beer (well, come on, it IS a festival!)

It was wonderful to have cold wet veggies & fruit in that hot weather, and we really enjoyed sitting down to our little picnics throughout the day. I was so glad we'd done it that way!

Since getting home, I'm pooped and haven't cooked much. Last night we had steamed broccoli, YET ANOTHER SALAD, hummus & corn chips, and a bowl of nuts and dried fruit, with popsicles for dessert. I'm waiting for my friend to send me her orzo salad recipe. Wow, was that good!
#142 of 154 Old 06-30-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Sorry, i didn't see your location, I am so used to forum users being from the USA and I have noticed they use recipes with cup measurements in them alot!
Not a problem at all, no reason to apologize! I'm honestly myself feeling more American than German and when I have the choice I go by cups/oz rather than grams
We're stationed in Italy for the next few years as Hubby is in the Navy but then it goes back to the US.

#143 of 154 Old 06-30-2009, 03:14 PM

Tonight we had homemade onion bread warm from the oven, pasta with fresh homemade tomato sauce, topped with fresh torn basil and grated cheese. Yum!
Haven't had pudding yet!

#144 of 154 Old 06-30-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Tonight we had homemade onion bread warm from the oven, pasta with fresh homemade tomato sauce, topped with fresh torn basil and grated cheese. Yum!
Haven't had pudding yet!
: Can I come over?
The onion bread sounds nice!!!

I made the Welsh griddle cakes this afternoon for the kids! Not sure if they're supposed to taste almost like cookies, but either way the kids loved them and so did DH and myself

We had Chickpea patties a la Vegan Dad with the sweet & sour cabbage, baked potatoes and mustard sauce (which I had to slightly alter by using regular yellow mustard as I ran out of Dijon, but it was still nice.)

#145 of 154 Old 06-30-2009, 08:38 PM

Fried rice tonight w/ baked tofu and a medley of (frozen) veggies. Veggie spring rolls (frozen, storebought) on the side. Honeydew melon for dessert.

I had planned to stop by my neighborhood farmers market on the way home to get some veggies for the fried rice, but apparently it's on Thurs eve, not Tues. Sigh.
#146 of 154 Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddledebi View Post
I

It was wonderful to have cold wet veggies & fruit in that hot weather, and we really enjoyed sitting down to our little picnics throughout the day. I was so glad we'd done it that way!

I'm waiting for my friend to send me her orzo salad recipe. Wow, was that good!
It sounds like you guys had a great variety of great food! I sometimes love to 'only' have corn chips, dif. hummus dishes, raw veggies and cold salads instead of 'real cooked' food.

Hey, if your friend gives you the orzo recipe, please share!

Planned dinner for tonight: Spaghetti with beanballs (a la Vegan Dad), green salad. Nothing planned for dessert, probably just some fresh fruit.

#147 of 154 Old 07-01-2009, 03:18 PM

tonight is probably going to be rice noodles with chopped "meat," mint, marinated cukes, etc. and likely a salad. i think i will end up using soy crumbles for the meat because even though i prefer to make my own seitan chopped meat, i'm feeling lazy today and also have a bunch of jam to make and veg to freeze. i think it will still be delish.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#148 of 154 Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 PM

We are going to a 'summer concert in the park' tonight so we are packing a picinic. The boys will have pb&j cuz well, that is all they seem to eat anymore. Dh & I will have an asparagus, mushroom & sun dried tomato pasta salad I threw together. I may add a can of garbanzos even though DH doesn't really care for them too much. I guess he can just pick them out. I hope it is good, I have been really screwing up alot of meals lately. I will also take some watermelon & vegan chocolate banana pudding for desert.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#149 of 154 Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 PM

I had an awesome, simple dinner tonight. I got the recipe from Vegan Express.

It is a warm potato salad with black beans, marinated artichoke hearts and red peppers. Basically you just microwave the potatoes while you prep the rest of the salad. You use the liquid from the jar of the marinated artichokes and lemon juice and that is it for the dressing. I used Yukon Gold potatoes and the recipe said to peel them after microwaving but I just left the peels on. I also did not have parsley so I just added some fresh chives to the salad.

It was so yummy! And it took me all of 15 minutes to make.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#150 of 154 Old 07-01-2009, 11:44 PM

Tonight we had BLT's (Morningstar "bacon"), corn on the cob, and honeydew. Served with strawberry lemonade mixed with raspberry iced tea. A lovely summer dinner, which we ate outside.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page