June Veg-What's for dinner??? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2009, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
I had an awesome, simple dinner tonight. I got the recipe from Vegan Express.

It is a warm potato salad with black beans, marinated artichoke hearts and red peppers. Basically you just microwave the potatoes while you prep the rest of the salad. You use the liquid from the jar of the marinated artichokes and lemon juice and that is it for the dressing. I used Yukon Gold potatoes and the recipe said to peel them after microwaving but I just left the peels on. I also did not have parsley so I just added some fresh chives to the salad.

It was so yummy! And it took me all of 15 minutes to make.
Oooh, that sounds soooo good! I've been thumbing through that cookbook hunting for things to try...I might have to give this one a go tomorrow!

Tonight we had Chilequiles (from Tofu Cookery). So easy and so good! Banana splits with coconut milk ice cream for dessert.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
I had an awesome, simple dinner tonight. I got the recipe from Vegan Express.

It is a warm potato salad with black beans, marinated artichoke hearts and red peppers. Basically you just microwave the potatoes while you prep the rest of the salad. You use the liquid from the jar of the marinated artichokes and lemon juice and that is it for the dressing. I used Yukon Gold potatoes and the recipe said to peel them after microwaving but I just left the peels on. I also did not have parsley so I just added some fresh chives to the salad.

It was so yummy! And it took me all of 15 minutes to make.
: I have everything in the fridge that I'd need for this! I think I'll make this! Thanks for sharing!

We had Spaghettie 'pie' today from yesterday's leftovers, green/mixed salad. Fresh coconut for dessert.

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
Again I don't really follow a recipe LOL. I use to buy Pitaks curry paste but the way we go throw it it just seemed to expensive...so one day I winged it and dh thought it was pitaks so I never bought it again. Here we go this is a less spicy version then we eat...you can add/or subtract the spices

1 med onion chopped
1-4 cloves garlic chopped-depending on your taste..we use a 1/2 bulb
1 inch piece ginger peeled chopped
1-2 potatoes chopped(peeled if you like)
cauliflower(as much as you'd like)
cooked chickpeas-when we use canned it's about 1/2-3/4 can

1 can tomatoes or tomato juice
1/2 cup-full can of coconut milk depending on your tastes-can use almond or soy we just really like it w coconut
1/4-1/2 c cilantro+ some to garnish-we go heavy on cilantro
1-2 tsp tumeric
1-2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp corriander
cayenne to taste
splash of lemon juice(can omit, we rarely have lemons on hand and try not to use bottled lemon juice)

I pre-boil the potatoes/cauliflower so they cook quicker.

Saute onions, garlic, add cilanto and spices until you can really start smelling them. Then tomatoes, coconut milk and lemon. Give it a good stir and let simmer. Taste test it and add more spices if needed(we add A LOT of spice). Then stir in your veg and let simmer again. Serve over rice with more cilantro

This is the quicker way...the more authentic way would be to use veggie broth, tomatoes all the spices the uncooked potatoes and let it simmer on the stove all day long until it reduces some...I do that recipe in the winter when I don't mind having the stove on/want to make big batches to freeze..though it seems the more I make the more gets eaten at dinner, not to mention every time I make curry my uncle demands I inform him so he can pick some up on his way home from work the next day

thank you for sharing this recipe! I made it tonight and it was yummy! We also usually use pitaks, but most of the time i don't have it on hand. Thanks again!
Old 07-04-2009, 10:04 AM

Leftover food for us tonight.

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.

User Tag List