What's Cooking Veg*n in July? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 110 Old 07-02-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll start this month's daily food thread!

Tonight I made my very first batch of pesto with the obscene basil overgrowth from my garden. We'll have it over gnocchi, with a big salad, steamed broccoli, and sauteed kale...and maybe I can get the whole wheat herb bread in the freezer defrosted in time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 110 Old 07-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Gnocchi and a big salad sound so good right now! What's in your pesto, if you don't mind me asking?
Today I'm having leftovers from lunch yesterday. Spanish brown rice with black beans. So yummy and so simple. :
The recipe is in my siggy.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#3 of 110 Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

The pesto was basil, olive oil, pine nuts (and some cashews, since I ran out of pine nuts), nutritional yeast, raw garlic, and garlic salt (since I also ran out of garlic). It was GREAT!
#4 of 110 Old 07-03-2009, 02:55 AM

yesterday we had a simple lentil soup, and avocado potato salad from "Vegan brunch" the night before.

hh2.gif

#5 of 110 Old 07-03-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddledebi View Post
The pesto was basil, olive oil, pine nuts (and some cashews, since I ran out of pine nuts), nutritional yeast, raw garlic, and garlic salt (since I also ran out of garlic). It was GREAT!
That sounds SO yummy! I'm really going to try and make pesto once our basil really starts going.

This week's been crazy busy. I stumbled across a great health food store yest when I went to visit my grandma-in-law. And got miso for ds(we've been out for ages and he keeps asking for soup) so last night we had miso soup with onion shoots from the garden, homemade broth, garlic and tofu. And stir fried eggplant, onion, garlic, cauliflower, celery and carrot with an apple juice/vegetarian fish sauce sauce served on rice noodles and a small salad with red lettuce, red peppers, walnuts and walnut oil apple cider dressing.
Nothing that exciting but ds was loving the soup...not to mention that the health food store had the so delicious coconut milk agave sweetened ice cream that I've been wanting to try...so ds and I split an "ice cream" sandwich for dessert...he couldn't have been happier...had to call his aunt to tell her he was eating ICE CREAM! lol

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#6 of 110 Old 07-04-2009, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm making a completely vegan "cream" of mushroom soup tonight with tofutti sour cream stuff. Right now my husband is making a fruit salad to go with it. We got white apricots at Trader Joe's. They are really juicy and taste like plums.

ETA: Soup is in the crockpot, of course.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#7 of 110 Old 07-04-2009, 10:52 PM

Today we went to a canada day bbq...on the fourth of july! LOL It was pot luck and I made veggie maki rolls-cucumber avacado and a roll with yellow beans/red pepper/carrot

There was hummus, veggies, veggie burgers it was all super yummy!

#8 of 110 Old 07-04-2009, 10:55 PM

Today we had a big southern style vegan lunch: green salad (lettuce from our garden!) with cukes and tomatoes, braised smoky turnip greens (from the garden!), cornbread, and fresh shelled peas from the CSA.

Dinner was grilled pizza.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#9 of 110 Old 07-05-2009, 01:29 PM

We had a family BBQ for the 4th yesterday so we brought Vegan Dad's Vegan Sausages : They are so awesome!! We also had watermelon, cherries, potato salad & veggies with dip. I was so proud of myself since we were in charge of bringing chips & dip I made the dip with low fat sour cream & brought a bowl of veggies so I could skip the chips. It wasn't easy but I did it! I've got to drop some weight!!

Tonight is family dinner at MIL's house so we are at her mercy. Hopefully she makes some potato enchiladas.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#10 of 110 Old 07-05-2009, 06:25 PM

Last night we had frozen cheese tortellini- with cilantro pesto for me, red sauce for DH, and no sauce for DS. Also Morningstar chick'n tenders. Frozen fruit bars for dessert.

I just got home from a big grocery shopping trip and actually made a meal plan for this week. We can't keep eating convenience foods all the time!

Tonight: veggie chili that I stuck in the crockpot this morning, corn muffins, spinach salad, and melon.
#11 of 110 Old 07-05-2009, 06:58 PM

Tonight was an almost all 100 mile..mmm...

Salad of red lettuce, cucks, tomatoes, hemp seeds
Tomatoes, onion, garlic, eggplant, beet leaves, basil, pine nut, olive, pasta

The only things not local we're the noodles, pine nuts and olives. Lettuce, basil, beet leaves we're from the garden

#12 of 110 Old 07-05-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneMom View Post
I just got home from a big grocery shopping trip and actually made a meal plan for this week. We can't keep eating convenience foods all the time!
Job well done!!!

I find the crockpot has helped me tremendously. Just another public service announcement from the crockpot fan club. (LOL)

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#13 of 110 Old 07-05-2009, 10:39 PM

I'm making honey baked lentils, corn on the cob and a salad.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#14 of 110 Old 07-06-2009, 12:25 AM

Uggg...tonight was spagetti at MIL's. Not so good, but hey she puts love in it atleast.

Tomorrow I am planning to do tofu & snow pea stirfry with brown rice & edamame.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#15 of 110 Old 07-06-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsmommy2002 View Post
I'm making honey baked lentils, corn on the cob and a salad.
Yum! How do you make these?

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#16 of 110 Old 07-06-2009, 07:46 PM

Tonight is a version of stroganoff w/fake sausage and natural (but still canned) cream of mushroom. Spinach/strawberry/goat cheese/almond salad. A nectarine for me because it smells soooo good!
#17 of 110 Old 07-06-2009, 09:51 PM

Tonight was a quinoa salad with tons of yummy herbs and veg and hemp seeds( I can't get enough!) we had sauteed egplant rounds covered in garlic powder and chives, and sauteed fake chicken...again the boys wanted fake chicken, I swear ds would live off the stuff! Thank godness for hot sauce!

#18 of 110 Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 AM

Duh, totally forgot to look for a new thread! I kept on waiting for new e-mail notifications from the June thread!

Last night we had an awesome CP curry/chickpea/veggie dish on brown rice and fudgy Brownies from the Vegetarian Times recipe. (I had to stop myself from eating those! )

Tonight we'll have some not-so-healthy mac 'n cheese that a friend of ours brought over (she knows I love hers. Talk about comfort food! Fatty, cheesy.. yum! *lol*) and DS requested 'Blondie Bites' (another VT recipe, using white chocolate).

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#19 of 110 Old 07-07-2009, 01:37 PM

Last night was tofu & snow pea stirfry over brown rice with edamame on the side. Tonight will probably be sloppy joes, if I can find a quick sauce recipe, otherwise it'll be burgers with corn & green beans.

#20 of 110 Old 07-07-2009, 09:48 PM

Tonight was stir fry with edamame, snap peas, bell pepper and corn. With fake chicken. Over coconut-lime rice.

Now I'm eating oatmeal with strawberries and some toast for "second dinner." Pregnancy turns me into a hobbit.
#21 of 110 Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 PM

black bean and brown rise burrito with salad and guac yum

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#22 of 110 Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoanib View Post
Yum! How do you make these?
If you do a search, you'll find tons of recipe posts for it!
It's really easy and yummy!

Did a quick search for you and found one link: http://happyfoody.blogspot.com/2006/...d-lentils.html

Planning a spinach quiche and a fresh green salad for tonight. Fruit for dessert.

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#23 of 110 Old 07-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Tonight we are picnicing at the park so I made a quinoa, black bean & corn salad for DH & I. The boys will probably have pb & j, as usual.

#24 of 110 Old 07-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMOmmyOf2 View Post
If you do a search, you'll find tons of recipe posts for it!
It's really easy and yummy!

Did a quick search for you and found one link: http://happyfoody.blogspot.com/2006/...d-lentils.html

Planning a spinach quiche and a fresh green salad for tonight. Fruit for dessert.
Thank you much :
I'll be making this and a big salad over the weekend.

#25 of 110 Old 07-08-2009, 08:50 PM

Boca burgers and quinoa pilaf. Strawberries and raspberries for dessert.
#26 of 110 Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 PM

I did use a convenience food tonight- chick'n nuggets (sigh). But, served them with corn on the cob, wax beans and cherries. I was going to serve the meal with canteloupe ,but the fact that the whole plate was basically the same color scheme really bothered me!
#27 of 110 Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 PM

Tonight was black bean burritos with guac and a tiny roma tomato from the garden. For some reason tonight the beans are hitting my stomach like a TON of bricks! Ugh. I usually don't have bean issues, so maybe it's a pregnancy thing?

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#28 of 110 Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 PM

Tonight I made a delicious kale and lentil vegetable soup. I used the red lentils and tons of the kale along with typical veggie soup ingredients like carrots, celery, onion, yellow squash, and zuchinni. It was sooo good. I ate way too much of it.
#29 of 110 Old 07-09-2009, 12:39 AM

Tonight we had grilled polenta, pesto and white beans with garlic and sage.
Last night was lentil nut tacos with shredded cabbage, avocado, lime, and chopped tomato.
Night before was FFV seitan ribz, with V'con apricot BBQ sauce (we made a couple big huge batches and froze them in one cup portions), coleslaw with sesame-poppyseed dressing, vegan potato salad left over from the 4th of July potluck, yellow orchid watermelon, and corn on the cob.

The 5th was a birthday party for a 9 y-o friend, where they served mac-and -cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches done on the BBQ grill, and vegan burgers. And raspberry mojitos for the adults, which tasted a bit like cough syrup, sadly.

On the 4th, we went to another party. It was awesome, there were 4 vegan side dishes, even though we were the only vegans there. We took tofurkey beer brats, potato salad, and chocolate cupcakes with white icing, blue stars and red sugar sprinkles. There was also a corn-and-basil salad, a fruit salad, and grilled veggies. And a really out of this world homebrewed non-alcoholic ginger beer. Lots of meat and jello stuff too, but plenty for us.
#30 of 110 Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 AM

After an afternoon visit to the Emergency Room, I'm more in love with my crockpot than ever.

I made a batch of tortilla soup today. All I had to do was add grated cheese and serve. The baby fell out of our bed at naptime. After some initial crying she was fine, then we went shopping. She threw up in the spice aisle. Hmmm, hit her head and throwing up. Then she got lethargic. 103 degrees or more outside versus head injury? In the carseat she was more lethargic. Went to the ER and while waiting for our pediatrician to call back, she threw up again. We got seen and everything is fine. We came home to a cooked dinner. I just shredded the cheese, threw it in the pot, and we ate. Late, but so simple compared to if I hadn't used the crockpot.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page