"Local" Produce at Safeway Stores -- NOT! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am hopping mad and thought some of you mamas could help. You can read my blog for a longer story and more details (cityblogcountryblog.blogspot.com), but the short of it is that I went to our local Safeway grocery store yesterday (it's called Dominick's around here), and they had huge signs on several produce displays, reading "LOCALLY GROWN!" I was so excited, since we only buy local produce in the summer. However, when I looked closely at the fruit under those signs, NONE of it was local. After conversations with several store employees, I learned that they are forced by corporate HQ to put up the "LOCALLY GROWN!" signs, whether the food is local or not.

Please read my blog and, if you shop at Safeway, take a look for yourself. Do they do that in YOUR Safeway? My blogging partner, a mom in rural Alaska, says they do it there too. Talk to the store manager. Send an email. This is ridiculous!

-Debi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow that really stinks. I shop at Wegman's and when they label something as local produce they always give the exact location (and often the farmer's name) of the farm. I don't see how they can just lie so blatantly.

Beth

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09

User Tag List