Cheap non bean meals ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-14-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well our fianancial crisis just got 10 times worse & I am in desperate need of very cheap meal ideas. Simple beans & rice would work great for me, but DS1 hates beans, so unless they are hidden in a veggie patty type thing he typically won't eat them. We are lacto-ovo, but too much dairy or eggs gives DH & DS1 issues.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 12:04 AM

Have you thought about quinoa? It's got lots of protein, and calcium, too.

And seitan is inexpensive - I make that a lot. There are tons of recipes out there for making it yourself...I use the one in La Dolce Vegan a lot, but the fatfreevegan website has an amazing baked seitan recipe that we love.

And I know you said your DH doesn't care for beans, as such...but lentils can disappear in many places, like marinara sauce, sloppy joes, and tacos/burritos. I use TVP for those dishes, as well - it seems to work best in anything that contains tomatoes.

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#3 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockedUpButtercup View Post
Have you thought about quinoa? It's got lots of protein, and calcium, too.

And seitan is inexpensive - I make that a lot. There are tons of recipes out there for making it yourself...I use the one in La Dolce Vegan a lot, but the fatfreevegan website has an amazing baked seitan recipe that we love.

And I know you said your DH doesn't care for beans, as such...but lentils can disappear in many places, like marinara sauce, sloppy joes, and tacos/burritos. I use TVP for those dishes, as well - it seems to work best in anything that contains tomatoes.
I've only made seitan with the FatFreeVegan seitan ribz & Vegan Dads vegan sausages. I never thought about the things you could do with a block of regular seitan. Thanks! I will look those up. Never thought about lentils in spagetti sauce either. :

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#4 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 04:24 PM

you can also use lentils as sloppy joes too!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#5 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I've only made seitan with the FatFreeVegan seitan ribz & Vegan Dads vegan sausages. I never thought about the things you could do with a block of regular seitan. Thanks! I will look those up. Never thought about lentils in spagetti sauce either. :
I use it to make Hot Wingz, lol...thus taking a perfectly virtuous, fat-free piece of protein and making it into artery-clogging Super Bowl food. But it's good in stir fries, too, or as "Chick'n Fried Steak." Not so healthy...but my kids and husband love both of these.

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#6 of 7 Old 08-18-2009, 05:07 AM

You can actually make seitan very easily at home with some Vital Wheat Gluten. That would save you even more money. When I was looking for a recipe for you, I found this $30/week vegetarian blog I thought might be helpful:

http://thirtyaweek.wordpress.com/about/
#7 of 7 Old 08-18-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockedUpButtercup View Post
I use it to make Hot Wingz, lol...thus taking a perfectly virtuous, fat-free piece of protein and making it into artery-clogging Super Bowl food. But it's good in stir fries, too, or as "Chick'n Fried Steak." Not so healthy...but my kids and husband love both of these.
DH LOVED chicken fried steak. Do you have a recipe to make it with seitan?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page