Do you feel healthier? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am trying to go vegetarian in hopes I will have more energy and feel better. Also if the symptoms of my crohn's disease subside that would be a bonus. Do you feel better and more energetic since becoming vegetarian. I am thinking about becoming a vegan but I am still considering if I should eat eggs. Dairy is definitely out of the question. I think it might be making me sick. I think meat is way too hard to break down and it might be making me sick as well.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh Yeah!!

When I went Veg 5 years ago I lost unwanted weight (about 35 lbs) very quickly and noticed that I wasn't super tired in the middle of the day anymore. Plus I hardly ever get sick and my skin has looked great.

It's not totally the same, but related.. another thing I noticed was that my higher self energy level raised a whole bunch.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 PM

[QUOTE=Lydiah;14257544]I am trying to go vegetarian in hopes I will have more energy and feel better. Also if the symptoms of my crohn's disease subside that would be a bonus.

DO IT! I had horrible IBS growing up..In and out of hospitals my entire childhood/high school days. I use to beg to become veg/give up diary and noone would listen. When I got old enough to make my own diet decisions I went mostly vegan(as in I don't have animal products in the house BUT will consume cheese/eggs OCCASIONALLY!!) and it's the greatest thing I ever did. I've never felt healthier then I do being a HEALTHY vegetarian..I'm sure if I ate a lot of "vegetarian crap" I wouldn't feel well, but sticking to a veg whole foods diet is the greatest thing!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 08-19-2009, 08:43 PM

absolutely. I switched a little more than two months ago, and i feel so much better. Before, i felt constantly ill after eating meat and dairy. I am not 100% vegan, i do eat cheese on things and bake with eggs sometimes but no milk. My energy is higher, i don't feel foggy, and i am finally losing weight again. The other day i ate traditional french toast, and felt soooo ill afterward ( i think the eggs ? ) and i was so glad that it wasn't an everyday feeling anymore.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
Old 08-19-2009, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

What is considered vegetarian junk food? What are some things I should avoid consuming too much of? TMI question. These foods make me super gassy. Will it even out after awhile?

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Old 08-19-2009, 11:04 PM

I consider junk food to be things that come packages. Breads, pastries, tv dinners, veggie burgers/chickn etc.
And as for the gas, it took about two weeks for everything to settle down for me.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
Old 08-20-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post
I consider junk food to be things that come packages. Breads, pastries, tv dinners, veggie burgers/chickn etc.
yes.. I consider veggie burgers, hot dogs, cookies, candies, etc.. junk food. There is a lot of it out there. Sticking to whole foods is the best way to go, and I do indulge in a few "junk" foods every once in a while for a special treat.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah View Post
What is considered vegetarian junk food? What are some things I should avoid consuming too much of? TMI question. These foods make me super gassy. Will it even out after awhile?
I agree on the veggie burgers/hot dogs/ sandwich meat. There are some fairly healthy options like the Amy's Brand(I LOVE the burritoes, but eating that way gets really expensive after awhile!)

The gas thing will settle down. If you cut down meat quickly, not a gradual thing, your body will prob go through a "detox", so you'll poo alot more then your use to...especially if you try and limit dairy, which I would suggest doing until your body gets use to the no-meat.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 08-20-2009, 12:11 PM

ive been vegetarian almost my whole life, but since going vegan a few years ago ive felt Fantastic! two weeks after i cut out the dairy, i felt like a new person!!
Old 08-20-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassycat View Post
ive been vegetarian almost my whole life, but since going vegan a few years ago ive felt Fantastic! two weeks after i cut out the dairy, i felt like a new person!!
You took the words right out of my mouth. I've been veg for 28 years,but I went vegan this summer and fully committed to it (after previous unsuccessful attempts) - and I feel SO GOOD! My complexion cleared up, I dropped 19 pounds, and I didn't have any cramps this cycle.

To be fair, though, I've been a healthy, whole foods, sugar free, green smoothie vegan all summer - not a french fries and veggie nuggets vegan. I didn't eat too badly before, but kicking the dairy is what made the biggest difference - for me, anyway.

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

Old 08-20-2009, 04:30 PM

It wasn't something I was really looking for and so I didn't notice right away. I guess the difference that I notice is that I feel...cleaner, I guess, is the best word that I can come up with. And even if I do eat too much (which we all do on occassion!) I feel full but not heavy, if that makes sense. Even the high fat things...guacamole, peanut stew, curry with coconut milk, don't seem to make me feel gross, if that makes sense.

Sadly, my stomach has never really gotten used to all of the beans, though soy doesn't bother me anymore. However, my weak point has always been my stomach/digestive system, so this isn't too surprising. Also, my complexion hasn't really cleared up (I'm 22) but I'm working on getting dairy out, so hopefully that will help a bit.

You know, the thing about eating, is you can always change. So try vegetarian for a few weeks, and if you hate it, go back to eating meat. Nix dairy for a few weeks, bring it back; same with eggs, etc. Just make sure to give your body about 3 weeks to adjust at least. And if it doesn't work for you, or some parts do and some don't, it's fine! Good luck! ::: lol

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 08-20-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockedUpButtercup View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth. I've been veg for 28 years,but I went vegan this summer and fully committed to it (after previous unsuccessful attempts) - and I feel SO GOOD! My complexion cleared up, I dropped 19 pounds, and I didn't have any cramps this cycle.

To be fair, though, I've been a healthy, whole foods, sugar free, green smoothie vegan all summer - not a french fries and veggie nuggets vegan. I didn't eat too badly before, but kicking the dairy is what made the biggest difference - for me, anyway.

Holly
This is me too, except I've lost 30 pounds and still losing. I eat only whole plant foods. Wish I'd discovered this lifestyle years ago.

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
Old 08-20-2009, 05:04 PM

I was a vegetarian for 6 years. When I first became a vegetarian, I felt so much healthier. I lost weight and just felt like I had more energy. However, over the years that sense slowly dissolved. By my 4th year of vegetarianism, I was regularly craving meat. I finally started reintroducing meat into my diet a few years later, and I did feel that it gave me more energy and made me feel less tired.

It's pretty clear to me that my body needed different things at different times in my life.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

What about TVP? is that stuff healthy?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:33 PM

Wow, sorry op, not trying to high jack. But I got to ask.....what motivated you all go go vegan? I really need to lose 10 lbs......before it gets worse.

Quote:
KnockedUpButtercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassycat View Post

Holly
Quote:
ambereva
Quote:

This is me too, except I've lost 30 pounds and still losing. I eat only whole plant foods. Wish I'd discovered this lifestyle years ago.
Thanks for sharing

Anna
Old 08-21-2009, 02:25 AM

I read the book Skinny Bitch. I had no idea what I was stumbling on to but it really opened my eyes. Talk about tough love. lol. :

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:11 AM

Thanks Pookiemom

Quote:
PookieMom I read the book Skinny Bitch. I had no idea what I was stumbling on to but it really opened my eyes. Talk about tough love. lol.
I'll look for it. I need something.

BTW I use to live in MO, in TX now.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Lydiah
Do you feel healthier?
To answer your question, I've been veggie for over 3 yrs. The first thing I noticed was my joints feel better. My hips use to hurt early in the am. Not any more.

Good luck on your journey. :
Old 08-21-2009, 04:47 PM

Giving up dairy pretty much eliminated my chronic gall bladder pain (went from happening several times a week to 2-3 times a year) and stopped a lifelong pattern of chronic sinus headaches and infections.

I actually gained some weight, though, mostly because I had to try every single vegan cookie recipe I could find in the first months. I lost it again, though.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 PM

I recommend reading "Controlling Chron's Disease" by Virginia Harper. She talks about helping her illness by modifying her diet.

Good luck!

User Tag List