Quick! Ideas for raw vegan camping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-09-2009, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all! I need some input from high-raw mamas about what to take and eat while on an uncoming camping trip. We will only be taking a couple of coolers total for all our food (my fam eats more ''typically'' than me), and obv. not appliances like juicers and blenders (I wish, haha!). This elimminates the daily green/carrot juice, green smoothie, cod liver oil, and big ole salad. I obv. can't take as many fruits and veggies I'd normally eat which would need refridgeration. I have a couple of ideas: young coconut, apples, dried fruits (of course), nuts and seeds, gogi berries, beyond that I am kind of stumped. I am not completely vegan nor completely raw, but I feel best at high raw and I don't want to feel crappy the whole trip. Should I make my own fresh carrot and greens juices and just pack it in ice (though the idea seems kind of yucky) to drink throughout? I know the nutrient content won't be as high as when it was JUST juiced, but it would still be better than pretzels, right? Normally I would not worry so much about this, but I have a chronic injury as well which is greatly helped by eating high raw, fresh. Any ideas?? TIA!
~Blu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-10-2009, 01:08 AM

Do you have a dehydrator, can you make some dried veggies?

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#3 of 6 Old 09-11-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

nope!
At this point, I am counting on eating 1-2 cooked meals a day out of all my meals and snacks (not that much, bc I eat every few hours normally), and snacking on easily transportable (carrots, apples, cukes, bananas) fruits and veggies, spouts, seeds/nuts and dried fruits the rest of the time. I don't normally do wheat, but I have some ezekial bread to try out as well. Wish me luck!
#4 of 6 Old 09-12-2009, 01:27 AM

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#5 of 6 Old 09-14-2009, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Camping was GREAT!
I maintained a moderate raw for the weekend while there, about 50%. It was really chilly so I ate more cooked then I had planned too. Plus everything just tasted sooooo gooood over the open fire! Yum! ...For raw I ended up eating bananas, apples, plums, goji berries, raw sunflower seeds, raw energy bars (1 per day), mushrooms, bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, cucumbers, carrots, and lots of blackberries. We found wild blackberries right near our campsite, literally more than you could pick. We picked about 8-9 pints by best estimate, and only got maybe half of them. That was def. a highlight of the trip!!!
#6 of 6 Old 09-15-2009, 04:40 AM

Sounds tasty! :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page