Why are you a vegetarian - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 10-27-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just curious of why everyone choose to be a vegetarian?

The main reason I am is the environmental impact of the meat industry. It is not sustainable at all. Not eating meat or eating a lot less would have such a huge positive impact on sustaiabilty. The amount of energy, land and water that is wasted to raise animals is absurd. I also do not like the cruelty involved in the meat industry. I terrible how we treat sentient beings. I never get how people are horrified that people eat dogs in other countries when we eat pigs and they are more intelligent than dogs.

I like the health benefits and think humans are meant to be mostly vegetarian like monkeys. I think vegetarians live longer life. I don't think our brains developed from eating meat but rather the tools we used when we started eating meat. I admist this isn't my main reason though. I wouldn't be a vegetarian for health reasons alone especially since the low fat versions are not bad for you. I also don't mind the fact that an animal died more in the way they were treated before hand. I am not against hunting since there is no cruelty or environmental aspects associated with it.

Whhat aboout everyone else?

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#2 of 39 Old 10-27-2009, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
The environmental impact of the meat industry.

The inefficiency of feeding grain to animals to make meat instead of feeding the grain to people. ONE-SEVENTH of the world's population does not have enough food.

My digestion is smoother, gums are healthier, menstrual cramps are reduced, and sweat odor is less troublesome when I don't eat meat.

Meats are the riskiest foods in terms of food poisoning and other infections. The sanitary precautions necessary for cooking meat myself are annoying to me, and I worry about trusting restaurants to keep me safe.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#3 of 39 Old 10-27-2009, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have only been a strict vegetarian for a couple months. My first reason was health. I read about Dr.McDougall and I was desparate to get my crohn's under control. My DH finds this diet is good for him too. He has struggled with weight his whole life. He loves that a mostly vegan diet lets him eat as much as he wants without gaining weight. I think its very good for my DD too. I am so lucky she will eat anything. Who knows, maybe it will prevent her from getting crohns someday too.

I guess I like that it gives me a clean conscience. I know that this lifestyle brings less suffering to the planet and that feels good.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#4 of 39 Old 10-27-2009, 07:34 PM

I love animals and don't want to eat them.
I think the meat industry is cruel and disgusting.
Health reasons.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#5 of 39 Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 PM

First reason was health/disgusted by the look/taste/idea of eating meat

Once I looked into it more it became an environmental/ethical reason. I can't justify eating 1lb of meat that could provide someone with up to 16lbs of grain...who am I to believe that thats ok?

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#6 of 39 Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 PM

I am first and foremost veggie for ethical reasons. I do not think it is right to take sentient life when I do not need to. Modern animal agriculture is a moral abomination that I will never support, as well as other methods of animal slaughter and exploitation.

The second reason is environmental.

The third is health, for body and spirit.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#7 of 39 Old 10-27-2009, 10:24 PM

I love animals.
Animals feel pain, they are the most defensiveless creatures on Earth.

IMA there is no justification that animals need to suffer for taste choices.

Vegmum:Hedding::: treehugger::
#8 of 39 Old 10-28-2009, 02:34 PM

In order:

The environment
The Ethics of eating animals
Health

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#9 of 39 Old 10-28-2009, 02:42 PM

I'm flexitarian now, but was vegetarian for 10 years.

My main reason was because I cannot tolerate the living conditions of the animals. I also do not like killing the animals, but to me their lives were even worse than their deaths.

Environmental factors is also a concern to me, but secondary to the above.

Health was never a reason for me. I never believed there were inherent health benefits to being vegetarian. Nor do I believe there are any inherent health benefits to eating meat. I just mean I've seen both good and terrible vegetarian diets, and same with omni diets.
#10 of 39 Old 10-28-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashells View Post
I'm flexitarian now, but was vegetarian for 10 years.

My main reason was because I cannot tolerate the living conditions of the animals. I also do not like killing the animals, but to me their lives were even worse than their deaths.

Environmental factors is also a concern to me, but secondary to the above.

Health was never a reason for me. I never believed there were inherent health benefits to being vegetarian. Nor do I believe there are any inherent health benefits to eating meat. I just mean I've seen both good and terrible vegetarian diets, and same with omni diets.
Hi Seashells!
Never heard of this. What do flexi's eat?

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#11 of 39 Old 10-28-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoanib View Post
Hi Seashells!
Never heard of this. What do flexi's eat?
I hadn't heard of it either until a couple of weeks ago! A flexitarian describes one of those semi-vegetarians that used to, until the advent of the word, pass themselves off as vegetarians (either out of ignorance or out of a desire to not describe ad nauseum how they are mostly but not totally vegetarian).

In my case, I now limit meat consumption to occasional purchases from my local farm that pastures its animals. This is a veg*n board, so I'm not selling that, maybe I shouldn't have even answered the thread but I found the topic interesting and I was indeed vegetarian for a full decade. I disclosed being flexitarian just for, well, full disclosure.
#12 of 39 Old 10-28-2009, 11:14 PM

I love animals and don't want to eat them.
It's also not nearly as healthy. Read the China Study!
The meat industries (and dairy and eggs!) have a huge negative impact on our environment.
The inefficiency of feeding grain to animals instead of feeding grains to humans who are starving.
The huge political industries are corrupt and all in each other's beds.
#13 of 39 Old 10-29-2009, 12:01 AM

I am vegan because I do not want to partake in the suffering of another being, or be the cause of cruelty.

mischievous.gif
#14 of 39 Old 10-29-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashells View Post
I hadn't heard of it either until a couple of weeks ago! A flexitarian describes one of those semi-vegetarians that used to, until the advent of the word, pass themselves off as vegetarians (either out of ignorance or out of a desire to not describe ad nauseum how they are mostly but not totally vegetarian).

In my case, I now limit meat consumption to occasional purchases from my local farm that pastures its animals. This is a veg*n board, so I'm not selling that, maybe I shouldn't have even answered the thread but I found the topic interesting and I was indeed vegetarian for a full decade. I disclosed being flexitarian just for, well, full disclosure.
Oh, I see. Thanx Seashells!

#15 of 39 Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 PM

I will only eat something I am personally willing to kill.

Yes, I have personally torn those poor carrots up out of the ground with my own hands, and you should see me mowing the grass, it's completely brutal.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#16 of 39 Old 10-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Mostly I'm wanting to eat the diet with the lowest possible environmental impact.

I don't particularly like meat. I've always thought eating chunks of dead animal was a pretty gross thing to do, even when I did it anyway.

I've also got a REALLY strong family history of colo-rectal cancer.
#17 of 39 Old 10-30-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
I will only eat something I am personally willing to kill.
^^This is why I am a vegan.

This, and because until I raise hens myself, and see how they are treated and what they eat, I cannot pardon the horrible lives egg chickens lead. Because as a breastfeeding mother who's experienced thrush, I can't imagine being a dairy cow with mastitis (I saw on Dirty Jobs--someone actually has the job of taking a torch to cow's udders to stop them from bleeding from being milked by the machines.) And because in my own spirit, there is just no excuse for supporting the animal product industry.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#18 of 39 Old 10-30-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
(I saw on Dirty Jobs--someone actually has the job of taking a torch to cow's udders to stop them from bleeding from being milked by the machines.)
Actually, they were just giving them a quick swipe with the flame-thrower to burn off the peach fuzz on their udders which tends to hold bacteria. The cows didn't feel a thing, although some of them were startled by the bright light. Standard procedure. And cows cannot bleed while being milked, it would contaminate the entire supply. They have many safeguards to prevent this.
#19 of 39 Old 10-30-2009, 07:31 PM

I Googled. It is called "flame-clipping." I get how it probably isn't inhumane, as long as it is done properly. (Certainly there are other much less humane practices in dairy farming!) But it still makes me cringe. Hey, I wonder if flame-clipping the hair on my legs would be a good substitute for shaving.

I object to the use of the term "peach fuzz" though. Silly rabbit, peach fuzz is for peaches! And there was no peach fuzz in the pictures I saw on websites intended to teach dairy farmers how to flame-clip. Let's avoid cute euphemisms and call it what it is: udder hair.
#20 of 39 Old 10-31-2009, 06:45 PM

I caught the show in passing, so maybe should have paid more attention. Flames to nipples just makes me cringe regardless of the reason. I also have read about a certain number of pus cells allowed in the milk, etc, so I would think blood would get in there too.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#21 of 39 Old 10-31-2009, 06:58 PM

Back in 2002 I saw a show on pbs about chickens. It wasn't skewed either way, but it did show some factory farming that was just horrible. That was the end of eating meat for me, so I would have to say ethical reasons. I switched over to free range eggs and went vegan for a few months, but I've been vegetarian for almost 8 years now and I can't foresee myself eating meat ever again.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#22 of 39 Old 10-31-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbarin View Post
The cows didn't feel a thing
Maybe the cows shown in that particular episode didn't mind, but I still don't see how you can claim this. From my quick research, I read about many burns and accidents from flame-clipping. Although it can be painless, it isn't always..

(also, I highly doubt they would have aired a cow who was accidently burned, I'm sure the advertisers would have a brick)

mischievous.gif
#23 of 39 Old 11-01-2009, 04:14 AM

for me it started as health reasons- I was pre diabetic after having a gestional diabetic insulin dependent pregnancy and with alot of research a low fat vegan diet was my best chance to reverse it. And it did. I still get it when pregnant but it saved my health.

but it never was NOT about the ethics to me either. I just don't believe I have a right to torture an animal just so I can enjoy the taste of something. And I have always felt this way because I come from a family of hunters. It has been drilled into me that animals deserve respect and are to be treated humanely. That just doesn't gel with factory farming. In fact before becoming strict vegetarian for years my husband and I only ate venison that came from either my father or him. My husband still occasionally eats hunted game but myself and our children will not till they are old enough to understand the gravity of what eating meat really means.

so when I feel like slipping due to ethics the health part of me takes over. When I am like F it with the health the ethics take over. And I am super stoked its better for the enviroment too but I wouldn't say its a reason why I am.

oh and I am also a nutrition nut. I flirted with the idea of having that be a career actually. So pumping us full of whole grains and veggies is like a wonderful hobby to me. I am no junk food vegan, and wouldn't ever be if that is what it took. We are a whole foods advocates first and foremost.

:Retro Mommy to Viv 5/14/04 and my little Bam-Bam Hank 5/16/08 and wife to my electric and electrician hubby Justin: Proud Vegetarian Homeschooling Hippie Freaks!::
#24 of 39 Old 11-03-2009, 06:00 AM

It makes me physically sick to think of eating a dead animal. I wouldn't eat my dogs. In fact, if my dogs died, I would be absolutely inconsolable and heartbroken. Therefore, it makes no sense to me to eat dead animals just because they aren't my pets. I have never seen those PETA scare-tactic videos, nor will I ever. For me, being a vegetarian is a huge sacrifice. I love meat. Not eating meat limits my diet, since I am a very picky eater. However, it is a sacrifice that is well worth it. I have to say, the thing I miss the most is pepperoni. I used to eat that turkey pepperoni as a snack. I have tried the veggie pepperoni, it tasted like rubber.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#25 of 39 Old 11-03-2009, 11:20 AM

By not eating meat I am:

Preventing disease and illness

Saving lives

Helping the planet

That's the short version. Best to keep it simple.
#26 of 39 Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 PM

My decision to stop eating meat was a long and gradual process over a period of about 5 years. Different meats started grossing me out until I was only able to eat organic free run chicken and turkey. It was a texture thing for the most part... grissle, fat, bones... Ugh... Not good. Then at Thanksgiving dinner 2008 I decided that was going to be my last meat, and I haven't touched it since.

I'm an octo vegetarian, I don't eat dairy (currently on an 8 month cleanse and may or may not resume eating dairy at some point... but only organic local sources if I do) or soy (allergies). Eggs gross me out too, but I find I really need the protein in the mornings or I'm famished and grumpy all day. Protein drinks just don't cut it. :/ I try not to look at them while they are cooking, but once they are cooked I'm fine... :

Interestingly, after becoming vegetarian, I started seeing more animal cruelty cases in my own neighborhood. The worst was seeing hundreds of live chickens being shipped from a chicken farm in tiny cases stacked on top of each other, pooping all over each other. The stench was so intense I dry heaved when I drove by. Very sad...

As for the health aspect, I haven't really noticed any difference there.
#27 of 39 Old 11-04-2009, 11:07 PM

My journey of veg*nism started years ago when I became really sick with a virus and my body started violently rejecting meat and animal products. I've toyed around with it off and on over the years, but recently I witnessed something that absolutely broke my heart and made me really resolute not just about being vegetarian but gave me that extra push to become a vegan,

Warning......not for the faint of heart or overly hormonal

1) I was watching Iron Chef and watched a live lobster struggle to save itself while a chef unceremoniously shoved it into a pot of boiling water

2) I was driving behind a semi truck that was hauling cattle when a little baby calf stuck it's sweet little nose out and was sniffing around and looking straight at me. It was the most beautiful little thing I've ever seen aside from my own kids and it devastated me that it was being hauled somewhere in the back of a semi truck. At best it was taken away from it's mom who is a dairy cow, at worst it is now veal. I started crying and knew then that I could not ever again eat meat or cow dairy products. I'm done participating in that. I figured since I'm not eating meat or dairy, I might as well be kind to chickens and bees and just become straight vegan.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#28 of 39 Old 11-06-2009, 10:21 AM

I object to torturing and killing sentient creatures. Especially since becoming a mother, all I can think of when I see a glass of milk is that there's a mama cow out there somewhere who just wanted to snuggle and nurse her baby (just like I did) but instead they were forcefully separated and she was hooked up to machines that didn't care if she got mastitis or anything else.

The health benefits and environmental benefits are certainly very nice side effects, but for me the ethical reasons reign highest.
#29 of 39 Old 11-06-2009, 01:55 PM

I've been vegetarian for 23 years. Stopped eating meat at 17 because I was old enough then to make my own choices about what to cook and eat (in other words my parents were no longer in charge of those choices), and from the time of being a small child had not liked meat or the idea of eating a dead animal.

I'm aware off the environmental impact, factory farming, etc. But the real base reason-and the reason I think that it's never been a struggle for me--is that I simply don't like it.

#30 of 39 Old 11-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Primarily for the animals, followed closely by for family's health, followed closely by for the environmental impact, followed closely by because it's icky.

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page