Your fave vegan cookie recipe? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 20 Old 12-09-2009, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I volunteered to make vegan cookies for an event. I am veg, but not vegan. Please spam me with your favorite vegan cookie recipes! No nuts, please.

Also,what is a good vegan margarine for cookies?

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 12-09-2009, 01:15 PM

This recipe is my new "go to" crowd-pleaser cookie recipe:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/02/dining/021frex.html

It's from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's new cookie cookbook.... I've made them with just the chocolate chips (add a little extra than what the original recipe calls for) and no walnuts and they still turned out great.

Earth Balance margarine is what I use in my baked goods.... I've never had a problem with it!

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#3 of 20 Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 AM

+1 on Earth Balance

#4 of 20 Old 12-10-2009, 04:02 AM

+2 Earth Balance!

I made some crazy good chocolate chip flax cookies one time. Maybe google a recipe for flax cookies? You use the flax as an egg replacer but it adds a really good flavor.
#5 of 20 Old 12-11-2009, 02:59 PM

These might just be the best cookies I've ever had. EVER. And they're vegan to boot.

CHOCOLATE CHIP & PEANUT BUTTER OAT COOKIES*
Ingredients:*
1 ½*cups unbleached flour
½ cup rolled or old-fashioned oats
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 cup light brown sugar
¼ cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup peanut butter (natural style works fine)
1 Tbsp. egg replacer powder (Ener-G egg replacer works well)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup chopped vegan bittersweet chocolate (or chocolate chips)
½ lightly toasted pecans, chopped*
Directions:*
1) Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Beat brown sugar, shortening, and oil with electric mixer until smooth and fluffy. Add peanut butter, and beat until well combined. Stir together 5 Tbsp. water and egg replacer powder in measuring cup. Beat egg replacer mixture and vanilla into brown sugar mixture until smooth.*
2. Add flour mixture into wet mixture, mixing only until incorporated (do not overmix).* Add chocolate chips and pecans and gently mix until combined. Scoop rounded Tbsp. dollops of dough onto ungreased baking sheet, spacing about 3 inches apart (so cookies have room to spread). With damp fingers, gently flatten dough balls into ı/2-inch thick rounds.
3. Bake 12 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown and dry on top. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
#6 of 20 Old 12-11-2009, 07:25 PM

We Dreena Burton's Homestyle Chocolate Chip Cookies! So easy and yummy yummy yummy!

ETA: Earth's Balance is the bees knees! (Although the above recipe doesn't use any, the addition of a 1/4 tsp molasses gives it a buttery flavor. So good!)

Kimber vegan natural birthing RN mama to Harper 3 1/2 and proud Navy wife to Rory
#7 of 20 Old 12-11-2009, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Personal opinion--cookies need margarine, not oil. IMHO, the oil leaves them kind of flavorless. But you'll find your own tastes.

I have successfully baked ovo-lacto cookie recipes by substituting vegan margarine for butter and soy flour mixed with a little water to replace the eggs.

By the way, another vote for Earth Balance.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud member of #teamvaxchoice
#8 of 20 Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 PM

Another vote for Drenna Burton's recipe for chocolate chip cookies. I have her cookbook and her cookie recipes are EXCELLENT. My skeptical DH still doesn't believe they are vegan.

Earth Balance is awesome! We use it here as well. I have successfully substituted applesauce or flaxseed for eggs many times to make a recipe vegan.

Good luck!
#9 of 20 Old 12-11-2009, 11:08 PM

I really like the Chocolate-Chocolate Chip-Walnut Cookies from Veganomicon as does my very picky 3 year old. She won't even most sweets but she loves these cookies. Although, I substitute the white sugar for brown and the oil for organic applesauce.
#10 of 20 Old 12-12-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelinifer View Post

Earth Balance margarine is what I use in my baked goods.... I've never had a problem with it!
I use Earth Balance for everything, but I found out the hard way that the buttery sticks and the tub margarine EB makes act very differently from each other in baked goods.

Once I tried to make whipped shortbread with the tub margarine. Worst decision ever. I ended up with oily, floury puddles of crystalized sugar that had to be peeled off the cookie sheet. I have since then successfully made these cookies with the EB sticks (which have a lot less salt in them too).

The Joy of Vegan Baking doesn't make a distinction between the two types of EB margarine, which I was really surprised about because the two types cannot be used interchangeably.

If you want to make sure your cookies don't spread out too much or become really flat during cooking, I recommend sticking with the EB buttery sticks. You can leave the sticks out on the counter to warm up a little before using (and this will make it easier to cream the margarine if your recipe calls for it).

I would also recommend the EB buttery sticks in pie crusts and pastries - you'll get a much flakier, lighter result.

Trying for our first vegan babe!
#11 of 20 Old 12-12-2009, 05:35 PM

subbing will post a recepie later.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#12 of 20 Old 12-15-2009, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing...
and we use Earth's balance too and everyone likes it

Life Learning SMC to DS18, DS17,DS10
planning an UC

#13 of 20 Old 12-17-2009, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ginourmous peanutbutter cookies are yummy (vegan with a vengance, I will post the recipe later...)

and Deenas chocolate chip cookies are yummy also.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#14 of 20 Old 12-17-2009, 12:20 AM

THESE ARE THE BEST!!!! and so easy!

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=196

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#15 of 20 Old 12-17-2009, 12:32 AM

Dutch Oat Cookies, time: ca 7-10 minutes, costs: ca 2$

Melt 250g Coconut Butter, 3 Teaspoons of Almond Milk, 1/2 cup sugar (natural or siffed) and 1 Teaspoon of Cacao until sugar is melted

Add ca 1 cup of Oats, until a cohesive mass is formed.

Place dough in units of 1 teaspoon on baking tray for drying.

Enjoy

Vegmum:Hedding::: treehugger::
#16 of 20 Old 12-17-2009, 01:53 AM

Looks like you have plenty, but here's my fave:
(from vegweb.com. Not sure of the link because I'm too lazy to go find it.)

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 cup cold vegan buttery spread
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 bag vegan chocolate chips (about 6 ounces)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Stir the vegan buttery spread around in a medium sized mixing bowl to soften it up. Add the 1 cup sugar, and stir the two ingredients together very well. It will look creamy.

Add the brown sugar, stir together again. Add the applesauce and vanilla, and (you guessed it!) stir together once more.

Now add all the dry ingredients, excluding the chocolate chips, at once and mix together quickly. Try not to over-mix. If the dough is too soft, add a bit more flour (around 1/4 cup). Mix in the chocolate chips and plop tablespoons of dough onto an ungreased baking sheet. You can flatten the dough balls slightly. Make sure to space each cookie at least an inch apart, because these actually spread when baking!

Bake for 9-11 minutes at 375. Let cool slightly on the baking sheet, and then remove and let cool completely on wax paper.

Notes: If you bake these at 375 for about 9 minutes, they turn out soft and chewy. They won't really look all that done, and if you touch the top of one it should yield slightly. If you bake these at 350 for 11 minutes, they'll turn out more chewy and have a "crispy-ier" outside. They'll be a bit brown around the edges when they're done.

Of course, I'm the only one who can really tell the difference between the two baking times...so it may just be all in my head! In any case these are the ONLY vegan chocolate chip cookies I serve to omnis--they taste much more sinful than other recipes. (Could it be the 1 cup vegan buttery spread?!)

Serves: 50 cookies

Preparation time: 10 min + baking

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#17 of 20 Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber47 View Post
We Dreena Burton's Homestyle Chocolate Chip Cookies! So easy and yummy yummy yummy!

ETA: Earth's Balance is the bees knees! (Although the above recipe doesn't use any, the addition of a 1/4 tsp molasses gives it a buttery flavor. So good!)
+1 We LOVE these cookies! I even got my non-veg mom to make them and she said they were hands-down the best chocolate chip cookies she'd ever made! Soooooo good. And the molasses is really the key, IMHO.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#18 of 20 Old 12-21-2009, 03:01 PM

OK I made the most fabulous cookies for our friends birthday party today. I made Dreena Burton's ch chip recipe, without the chocolate chips, because the mom is so allergic to soy even the tiny bit of lecithin, and i didn't have any unsweetened chocolate. To make up for it, I made vegan buttercream, a little on the stiff side, sandwiched two together and rolled the sides in sprinkles. I put a stick in the middle, and tied curly ribbon on the bottom. They are seriously cute I can't wait to test them on tons of bad eating kids lol
#19 of 20 Old 03-02-2010, 12:18 PM

Any idea where this recipe is from? We tried these a while back and loooved them! I'm getting ready to make them again. Thank you for sharing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsforfun View Post
These might just be the best cookies I've ever had. EVER. And they're vegan to boot.

CHOCOLATE CHIP & PEANUT BUTTER OAT COOKIES*
Ingredients:*
1 ½*cups unbleached flour
½ cup rolled or old-fashioned oats
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 cup light brown sugar
¼ cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup peanut butter (natural style works fine)
1 Tbsp. egg replacer powder (Ener-G egg replacer works well)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup chopped vegan bittersweet chocolate (or chocolate chips)
½ lightly toasted pecans, chopped*
Directions:*
1) Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Beat brown sugar, shortening, and oil with electric mixer until smooth and fluffy. Add peanut butter, and beat until well combined. Stir together 5 Tbsp. water and egg replacer powder in measuring cup. Beat egg replacer mixture and vanilla into brown sugar mixture until smooth.*
2. Add flour mixture into wet mixture, mixing only until incorporated (do not overmix).* Add chocolate chips and pecans and gently mix until combined. Scoop rounded Tbsp. dollops of dough onto ungreased baking sheet, spacing about 3 inches apart (so cookies have room to spread). With damp fingers, gently flatten dough balls into ı/2-inch thick rounds.
3. Bake 12 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown and dry on top. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#20 of 20 Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 PM

Now, I know you asked for cookies, not brownies, but seriously... these are the absolute best brownies in the universe.

Vegan Brownies
(Adapted from Peter Berley’s Modern Vegetarian Kitchen)

½ cup organic maple syrup
½ cup organic canola oil
¼ cup unsweetened soymilk
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup King Arthur whole grain white flour
1/3 cup Ghirardelli’s Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa
2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate chips or 60% dark chocolate chips
½ to 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 square pan with Baker’s Joy. Mix first 4 ingredients (wet ingredients) until well blended. In a separate bowl mix flour, TJ’s Sipping Chocolate, salt and baking powder (dry ingredients). Add dry ingredients to wet, and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips or pieces. Fold in walnuts. Spread batter in pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool. Devour. They’re even better the next day... if you have any left, that is...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page