time for a New Year's RAWsolution thread! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 86 Old 01-08-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In Victoria Boutenko's books "Green for Life" and "Green Smoothie Revolution", she recommends rotating greens...I think at least one different green for each day of the week. Obviously more variety is better, but even just having say, baby spinach, once a week, would be fine for avoiding oxalic acid problems or whatever. I'm no expert, but it sounds sensible to me.

We have a big green smoothie every day, so far this week my greens were:

-parsley
-chard
-spinach
-sunflower sprouts
-lettuce and mint
-kale

going to the farmer's market tomorrow to scrape together a few winter greens!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 86 Old 01-09-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post

We have a big green smoothie every day, so far this week my greens were:

-parsley
-chard
-spinach
-sunflower sprouts
-lettuce and mint
-kale

going to the farmer's market tomorrow to scrape together a few winter greens!
Yum! I have used spinach, lettuce, and kale in smoothies but not parsley, chard, sunflower sprouts or mint. Could you share your recipes?

On Day #9 of my 30 day juice fast. I had some detox symptoms early on but now I feel better. I have lost some weight, my skin has cleared up (broke out after all the Christmas junk), and I have better color in my face. It really hasn't been that difficult so far. I'm actually enjoying it.

Mama to DS 7/23/08.
#33 of 86 Old 01-09-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusblossom9 View Post
On Day #9 of my 30 day juice fast. I had some detox symptoms early on but now I feel better. I have lost some weight, my skin has cleared up (broke out after all the Christmas junk), and I have better color in my face. It really hasn't been that difficult so far. I'm actually enjoying it.
Isn't it cool? I've found that my cheeks are rosier and softer, and it's only been a week-and-a-half. I actually look a bit younger! I wasn't expecting anything like that so soon. I've lost a bit of weight in my face and neck (that's where I lose wight first), and I feel more energetic. I have been sleeping a lot, and I'm wondering if that's a detox symptom. But, when I'm awake, I'm more *up*.

It's kind of fun to see the changes happening so quickly....

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.

#34 of 86 Old 01-11-2010, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC EcoMaMa View Post
I especially liking some of the raw flat breads and crackers.
I am going to attempt this one this week.
http://www.rawmazing.com/recipes/raw-flat-breads/

Peace,

Jo
This sounds amazing! I am gluten free. Any suggestions for subbing the wheat?
#35 of 86 Old 01-11-2010, 11:13 AM

I wonder if Teff grains would work? I may even try that once my Teff grains come in. I only have the flour right now for making Injera.

I suppose any grain that is okay or non toxic in sprouted form would be fine.

Teff is somewhat sweet, so you may want to mix it up with another grain. I mix mine with wheat when I make Injera. We don't have any gluten issues.
Can you have Barley? I know it has gluten, but it is very different from that of wheat.

Peace,

Jo

Happy Mum, Adored Wife, Loyal Friend, Triangle API Leader, Proud Vegetarian, Peace Loving, !
#36 of 86 Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
This sounds amazing! I am gluten free. Any suggestions for subbing the wheat?
Alissa Cohen has a similar-looking flat bread using buckwheat. I think she calls it Pizza Bread. We're gluten-free at the moment, too.

#37 of 86 Old 01-11-2010, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yum! I have used spinach, lettuce, and kale in smoothies but not parsley, chard, sunflower sprouts or mint. Could you share your recipes?
I don't really have recipes, but let me tell you...parsley makes a delicious green smoothie! and I put a lot in there! flat or curly leaf both work...i prefer flat. actually, all of the greens i listed are tasty...especially when mixed with banana, mango and a bit of fresh OJ and water. the mint i only add in a small bit with other greens, usually lettuces as I think it makes a fresher taste.

i could live on green smoothies! maybe I'll do a green smoothie feast...

#38 of 86 Old 01-12-2010, 12:09 AM

Hello raw friends. I just finished a 5 day juice fast. I think now I will do 100% raw with juices (mainly green juice and veggie juice) for a while. I also really enjoy citrus juice and my hot lemon water instead of coffee in the AM.

I'm wishing I had a dehydrator, or even had room for one.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#39 of 86 Old 01-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Alissa Cohen has a similar-looking flat bread using buckwheat. I think she calls it Pizza Bread. We're gluten-free at the moment, too.
ooo, do share!
#40 of 86 Old 01-12-2010, 04:48 PM

Hubby just made a great "green" smoothie this morning - 1/2 beet, bunch of beet greens, an orange, an apple, a handful of blackberries and 1/4 cantaloupe. Kiddo and I had a bit of honey with ours, but hubby drank his straight. It was yummy (and *very* red)!

#41 of 86 Old 01-12-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
ooo, do share!
Ok, here's a blog that lists the recipe. It's actually called Calzone Dough, not pizza bread as I originally typed. It can be used for anything, though, totally versatile. You'll have to scroll down a bit. Lots of other good looking recipes listed on this blog, too!

http://thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.c...en-part-2.html

Today's recipes were beanless falafel (Alissa Cohen) and cole slaw (Jennifer Cornbleet)...yum. I've also got Alissa's nacho cheese recipe ready for the dehydrator, too. After that's finished, almond butter cookies go in.

#42 of 86 Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

here's a photo from a few days ago (i couldn't resist) of the first raw pizza I've ever made. well, what was left of it! even my 7 year old loved it, which surprised me.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4023/...6699834a_b.jpg

I used Alissa Cohen's pizza recipe.

#43 of 86 Old 01-13-2010, 05:29 PM

Has anyone read Raw Food, Fast Food? I'm just sticking to super fast raw foods, no exotic ingredients.

I need to try cutting out the higher sugar foods. I know I can't do apple juice. Does anyone have a link to a good list of high sugar raw foods to avoid?

#44 of 86 Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post
Has anyone read Raw Food, Fast Food? I'm just sticking to super fast raw foods, no exotic ingredients.
The idea of the book sounds wonderful to me, but I wasn't able to find out much about it online. There don't seem to be any reviews or sample recipes....

#45 of 86 Old 01-14-2010, 12:44 AM

Hi! I would like to join. I am thinking of eating raw as much as possible for breakfast and lunch, and then a light, cooked dinner. I am going to start things with a short fast, probably just a week, but have to get through my course of antibiotics first.

I was inspired to move toward a more healthier diet/lifestyle after months of colds and infections following placing my dd in daycare. I am just finishing treatment for an ear infection, bronchitis and sinus infection. I have GREAT hope that eating more consciously and healthfully will help me with a lifetime of upper respiratory illness and allergies.

Thank you so much for this support group, and I look forward to hearing about everyone's journeys!
#46 of 86 Old 01-14-2010, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplesugar View Post
Here is a quote from Gabriel Cousin's book, Conscious Eating:

Organic oxalic acid, defined as that which occurs in nature in its raw form, can actually be beneficial to the system. Once foods containing oxalic acid are cooked, according to the dean of juice therapy and author of Raw Vegetable Juices, Dr. Norman Walker, the oxalic acid becomes dead and irritating substance to the system. He feels that in its cooked form it binds irreversibly with the calcium and prevents calcium absorption. An excess of cooked oxalic acid may also form oxalic acid crystals in the kidney. In the live organic form of oxalic acid, Dr. Walker claims oxalic acid stones and calcium blockage do not occur because the organic oxalic acid can be metabolized appropriately. according to Dr. Walker, oxalic acid in its raw form is one of the important minerals needed to maintain tone and peristalsis of the bowel.

So it seems from my research that greens containing oxalic acid are only dangerous in their cooked form. I read somewhere that the oxalic acid actually helps with calcium absorption, there again only in the raw state. Most greens such as chard and kale have a lot less oxalic acid than spinach, so as long as we vary the greens and don't cook them, they are fine to consume in quantity. Fine and very benificial.
I love Dr Norman Walker's books. Especially the one on juicing-really keeps me inspired. I totally agree w his info. Thanks for posting that. I also have Gabriel Cousin's book-great book.
#47 of 86 Old 01-15-2010, 03:31 PM

What are your favorite toppings for salads/veggies? I'm looking for new dressing recipes ... I'm currently doing a chopped tomato/jalapeno/lime salsa sort of topping with cilantro ...
#48 of 86 Old 01-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Hi Raw Foodies!!
I haven't had time to look thru the threads yet
I want to start incorporating more raw foods into my diet. I feel like I'm being drawn into this, something outside of my control.
Let me start with a little background and maybe you guys can help me out.
I have several chronic health problems (chronic urticaria (hives), dermographism, migraines, benign multinodular thyroid nodules). I am feeling like I need to get this under control before I get any older (I'm about to turn 33 in April).

I was a vegetarian for 7 years. From about 1998 to 2005. Well I ate dairy, eggs, and seafood occasionally. So pescoovo, blah blah blah....
I got prg w/dd in 2005 and my body told me I needed some meat. So I started eating fowl. I still do not eat pork or beef or other red meats. Dd is 3 now and I still fish/fowl/dairy.

In an attempt to get a hold on my health, I went "primal" for a while, lots of meat, no grains, etc. I lost weight but after a while I started to feel disgusting. I mean, grossed out by the amount of meat I was eating.

Wheat still does not agree with me, makes me very bloated and gives me indigestion. I try to avoid it.

I'm been eating raw for my first and second meals of the day and then eating a cooked meal and I've been feeling pretty good. I really want to learn more about RAW eating. In my early research, I'm already confused.

Here is my main question about raw foods: High fruit or low fruit? Low fat, high fat, etc? I've read that high fruit is the way to go and then I've read that lower fruit, more veggies is the way to go. Which do you guys do?
Question B: If I just eat what I feel like having for breakfast and lunch (raw) and then a veggies based dinner will I get all my nutrients (protein, fat, vitamins, amino acids)?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond!!! :

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#49 of 86 Old 01-15-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post
Here is my main question about raw foods: High fruit or low fruit? Low fat, high fat, etc? I've read that high fruit is the way to go and then I've read that lower fruit, more veggies is the way to go. Which do you guys do?
Question B: If I just eat what I feel like having for breakfast and lunch (raw) and then a veggies based dinner will I get all my nutrients (protein, fat, vitamins, amino acids)?

Hi, Welcome!

Well, I'm certainly no expert, but instinctively I feel drawn to a lot of fruit. I think this makes a lot of sense, however, I'm not convinced that supermarket fruit would sustain a person long term...so I don't know how realistic it would be for everyone. But my instincts tell me, fruit and greens. A lot.
I don't know about the fat issue in terms of how much. Perhaps our bodies eventually self-regulate this with cravings, etc. I do think that avocados, coconuts and olives are healthier sources of fats than say, nuts. I've recently started using a LOT more nuts and I feel super gross. blah.

Hope you find some answers!

#50 of 86 Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:

I'm been eating raw for my first and second meals of the day and then eating a cooked meal and I've been feeling pretty good. I really want to learn more about RAW eating. In my early research, I'm already confused.

marimara~
There is a lot of conflicting information about eating a raw vegan diet. I have tried high fruit, low fruit, low fat, high fat, you name it. I have found that eating the way Dr. Doug Graham suggests in his book, The 80/10/10 Diet, is the best way to eat (for me). I highly recommend it. I wish I had known about it when I first started experimenting with a raw vegan diet! This way of eating has really helped my health. Dr. Graham also has videos on YouTube.

Mama to DS 7/23/08.
#51 of 86 Old 01-16-2010, 09:51 AM

I feel that fats are really important, especially in the cold weather. My skin sure gets dry if I don't get enough fats.

For fruit, I go on what I am feeling. I don't avoid it all all though.

I wanted to share some raw food meals we have been having (note,I am trying to maximize my meals with nutrient dense foods):

Smoothies with handfuls of greens, rotating everyday, raw fruit, nut milk (I may use raw dairy if the goats are getting fresh grass), chia seeds, and a splash of maple syrup.

Herbal infusions, not letting the infusion water get too hot to kill all the nutrients, but still steeping for about 4 hours. (my kids love this stuff)

For breakfast we are having sprouted quinoa with nut milk and berries, with a splash of maple syrup. All raw (except for the syrup of course).

Veggies juices, with carrot as a base.

We are trying to have something raw with every meal. My dh loves hearty full filling meals, so this is really a trial to switch all raw. We are doing less raw since it is so nice to have hot soups in the winter. In the summer we may go 100% raw. And I have a gluten free sourdough starter that makes excellent soured cakes/breads.
#52 of 86 Old 01-16-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Ideally I would do something like an 80+% raw diet. With 10% nuts/seeds, 30% fruit and 60% veggies. I believe if you follow your food cravings and are mostly raw you will get all the nutrition you need.

#53 of 86 Old 01-20-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

So what's everyone eating these days?

I'm still having a big green smoothie late morning. Today I had a bowl of Gazpacho (recipe from Natalia Rose's book) and blood oranges for lunch. Still doing half raw at dinner. tonight is a Dahl recipe (cooked) with a big salad.

I've laid off the dehydrator for now. It was fun while it lasted. Man, if I make a batch of flax crackers or something, I have to try hard not to scarf the whole lot of it. Doing stuff mostly for the kiddos now.

#54 of 86 Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 PM

Big green smoothies in the morning and at night. We make a lot of dips/spreads/pates. I just finished up the zucchini/avocado hummus with some salsa on lettuce wraps - yum!

Found a raw foods cafe the other day and tried out an avocado sandwich on onion bread - it was wonderful. I'll have to try dehydrating some of my own pretty soon. Hubby had spiralized yam noodles. They were good, but very firm. I think we might like zucchini noodles more. Son had a kale and cashew cheeze enchilada. He wasn't impressed, but hubby and I ate it right up.

#55 of 86 Old 01-22-2010, 06:10 PM

What do you use to make your yam noodles? I got a veggie spiralizer a while back but the texture it makes isn't very noodle like. I am still hoping to find some of the sea tangle noodles. Has anyone had those and where do you get them?

I've been doing a 90% raw thing and feeling great. I eat a lot of fruit, tons of grapefruit. I've been craving dark green leafy salads. Anyone have salad topping suggestions?

#56 of 86 Old 01-22-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
marimara~
There is a lot of conflicting information about eating a raw vegan diet. I have tried high fruit, low fruit, low fat, high fat, you name it. I have found that eating the way Dr. Doug Graham suggests in his book, The 80/10/10 Diet, is the best way to eat (for me). I highly recommend it. I wish I had known about it when I first started experimenting with a raw vegan diet! This way of eating has really helped my health. Dr. Graham also has videos on YouTube.
I second this. I never tried the dehydrating/soaking/nutty/etc. way of raw eating, since it always seemed like too much work to me. Raw should be easy and natural. What's more natural than picking some fruit off of a tree/bush, and grabbing some greens to chew on?

I need to get back to it actually. I've been gorging myself on bread lately, and I feel so bloated. But I just had a banana smoothie and some cherries for dinner, and they were just what the doctor ordered.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#57 of 86 Old 01-23-2010, 09:49 AM

I def. don't want to be in the kitchen all the time or buying new appliances (trying to simplify my life). I don't want to get a dehydrator or a food processor. I'm not sure if making raw "bread" "tortillas" "buns" is all that exciting to me. On the other hand, I'm also not sure that eating mostly fruit is the best thing either, since fruit is quickly broken down to simple sugars in the body, when you eat mostly fruit your blood sugar remains high constantly and you have to eat constantly to maintain that blood sugar. I read on some website that one woman needs to eat like 8-10 lbs of fruit a day to stay full. That's insane and not what I can do. For now, until further research indicates otherwise , I am eating fruit/nuts/nut butter for breakfasts, and salads for lunch. Dinners will be most likely cooked and have some protein in it (I eat fish and fowl or beans, but not red meat).

Maybe someone here can help me understand the mechanics behind the fruitarian way. I do know that I feel my best when I eat the way I said above, raw until dinner. Even then, dinner might be shrimp w/veggies (quickly seared in a wok, so they are still like raw, very crunchy and a tad bit of rice).

Thanks for everyone offering their opinions and advice! I'm continuing down this path somehow

#58 of 86 Old 01-23-2010, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Maybe someone here can help me understand the mechanics behind the fruitarian way.
I'm currently reading "The 80-10-10 Diet" just because I want to know for myself what it's all about. He explains in quite a lot of detail about fruit and blood sugar. He makes it all seem very simple and intuitive...but i suppose one just has to try and see how it makes them feel. I'm considering eating this way (i don't know...call it a "cleanse") for a few weeks to see what happens. It's basically ripe, raw fruits, tender greens and a very little bit of fat from olives, avo, seeds, nuts etc. And plenty of exercise, sunshine, sleep etc...

I remember a few years ago when I was eating high raw consistently, I went on nutridiary.com and plugged in my daily food intake and I was shocked at how over the top my raw fat consumption was! And I'm sure it's worse now! Although I never gain weight...I don't digest the fats well. A bit of avocado or olives is ok, though.

#59 of 86 Old 01-23-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I remember a few years ago when I was eating high raw consistently, I went on nutridiary.com and plugged in my daily food intake and I was shocked at how over the top my raw fat consumption was! And I'm sure it's worse now! Although I never gain weight...I don't digest the fats well. A bit of avocado or olives is ok, though.
Same here. I used to eat a ton of fat (mostly nuts and olive oil) and had a lot of difficulty digesting it. I've been doing 80/10/10 for about 23 days. Today I ate a high fat raw meal and felt awful afterwards!! Back to 80/10/10 tomorrow.
#60 of 86 Old 01-24-2010, 10:39 AM

That's interesting...hmm I'll see if my library system has the book. I know I eat a lot of fats, as I've been eating mostly Traditional Foods with the main focus on whole foods. I've been feeling drawn to eating less meat lately. I'll check it out, thanks!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page