time for a New Year's RAWsolution thread! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 01-24-2010, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
8-10 pounds of fruit? Wow. I really doubt I eat that much. I fall towards fruititarian naturally. I WAS pre diabetic and had issues with blood sugar for years but being fruititarian stopped all that. I monitor my blood glucose at home. I don't eat melons, pineapples, pears or apple juice though; too sugary for me.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#62 of 86 Old 01-27-2010, 04:14 PM

Hi everyone, I found some great books at the library and now I understand SOOO much more! I learned about the enzymes that are destroyed when we cook food. How soaking nuts gets rid of the enzyme inhibitors on them. I feel like my brain has exploded in the last few days.

I have been eating more and more raw. About 60-75% daily. Yesterday I made a green smoothie for breakfast (and it was awesome!!), a salad for lunch, and guacomole and salsa with (cooked) beans and rice.

Today I ate cantaloupe for brkfast, apple for snack, green smoothie (w/avocado) for lunch-then I caved and a bowl of potato chips , I think I have PMS, I'm due any day now, not that that's any excuse but I normally have cravings and such during PMS time. I was wondering if maybe the avocado made me crave more fat, esp. since I didn't add any other greens? (all out, need to go the market).

So far I've devoured, I mean read , 12 Steps to Raw Foods, Living Raw Food, and Carol Alt's Raw Food book (which is the only one I bought, and unfortunatley don't like). Today I got 2 vegan books from the library, of which I'm afraid to read. I mentioned earlier in the thread, I was a vegetarian for 7 years but I did try vegan once and I lost so much weight I got dizzy when I stood up, so I added back in eggs and dairy.

Anyways, I feel like this is one of those things in life, that once you meet, it changes you forever. Kind of like yoga did for me years ago, I've never been the same since.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#63 of 86 Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post
I mentioned earlier in the thread, I was a vegetarian for 7 years but I did try vegan once and I lost so much weight I got dizzy when I stood up, so I added back in eggs and dairy.
Just make sure to keep your calories up...one of the most enjoyable ways is just to eat more fruit!

Another thing is to do more physical activity. This is my new *shift* as I am now certain that diet alone isn't enough for me...and while I am a long way from sedentary, I don't really work out either. I want more muscle!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#64 of 86 Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Hey there! I'm not much for reading this section anymore but wanted to swing by and say hello to the raw foodies! I've been raw or mostly raw for almost 3 years now! Still starting our mornings with a big green smoothie...the base is fresh oj and some water, hemp oil, 3-4 handful of greens, couple celery stalks, 1-2 scoops vitamineral green, frz bluebs/pineapple, and I add banana for the boys. Divine! And it lasts us a while. We are also big on pumpkinseed milk at the moment. I find that high fat doesn't feel so good to me, but it felt good during pregnancy.

Hope everyone is well and enjoy! Mary

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#65 of 86 Old 01-29-2010, 04:46 PM

Hey everyone. Just found this thread. I hope it will stick around. I am starting raw on Feb 1st. I'm going 100%. I think it will be difficult, but I am so excited. I am currently reading 12 Steps to Raw Foods by Victoria Boutenko. I am really enjoying it. Just wanted to say hi.

Tanya

Tanya
#66 of 86 Old 01-29-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Mary and Tanya!

#67 of 86 Old 01-31-2010, 10:08 AM

Does anyone here feeds their kids mostly raw too? My dd is 3 and Loooves fruit, cashews, juice, cucumbers, cooked carrots, almond butter, peanut butter and that's about it for raw. She likes milk (drinks organic whole milk), occasional cheese, eggs, french fries () peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, she does NOT like to eat meat (she will eat prepared turkey meatballs or chick fil a chicken nuggets, like 3 of them ).

The biggest hurdle I face is that she won't eat anything difficult to chew, because she's afraid of choking. She won't eat lettuce, spinach, raw carrots, tomatoes, etc.

She also won't drink my green smoothies anymore. She really doesn't like fruit smoothies either for some reason.

Any ideas to help my whole family eat more raw?

#68 of 86 Old 02-01-2010, 04:05 PM

My kids eat mostly raw. They have been fully raw before, but it's hard to keep cooked food out of a 4yr. old's experience, imo. My 4yr old lives to eat fruit. He eats a lot of it. He still likes smoothies, but not everyday. When I make him guacamole (which is almost every day, thankfully he rarely tires of avocados) I put some green powder in-just a little. I also put green powder in the chocolate I make. He looves desserts-coconut creme pie, ice creams, etc. Desserts are a big hit around here. Oh, one thing you can do if she likes fruit is blend up frz raspberries with mango and a little honey, or skip the honey. Add some green powder or vegan dha if you want and it's amazing!! Like a slushie!

What about nut milks? Ds1 is a fan of vanilla almond milk. We make it together, he loves to strain it. Brazil nut milk and pumpkseed are great too, I usually add carob and cacao to those, although brazil milk is great plain. Dh loves nutmilk with dates, cacao, and ice, like shake.

We do a lot of hemp too, just add hempseed to salads, milks, or your cooked meals too! It's good on pasta if you do that. Or oh my, has anyone been to Kristen Suzanne's blog? She has an awesome cheesy hemp nacho sauce. Holy crap it's so good!

Okay, one more thing. Chia crackers. If you have a dehydrator, you've got to check out Kristen Suzanne's blog for her choc chia cracker recipe. We make choc ones and also a cinnamon/carob version. We all LOVE these crackers. Fantastic with almond butter!

That's all I've got! Hi Calynde! Mary

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#69 of 86 Old 02-01-2010, 04:29 PM

Wow thanks for some great ideas! I'm glad I do have fruit on my side, she loves fruit

#70 of 86 Old 02-01-2010, 04:51 PM

My ds is not a meat eater either. He was always high raw until he hit about 6 and started acting picky. I always keep lots of cut up fruits and veggies available for snacking. Will she eat raw applesauce, raw soups or raw squash pasta?

#71 of 86 Old 02-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post
My ds is not a meat eater either. He was always high raw until he hit about 6 and started acting picky. I always keep lots of cut up fruits and veggies available for snacking. Will she eat raw applesauce, raw soups or raw squash pasta?
I haven't tried any of that yet. I don't have a food processor, only a regular blender and an immersion blender. This morning she ate kiwi and mango for breakfast (after she ate a Kashi bar and milk ) This picky stage just started with her, she's 3. She used to eat whatever I gave her. I'll keep trying.

#72 of 86 Old 02-02-2010, 09:48 PM

No food processor required. I only have a cheap blender.

#73 of 86 Old 02-03-2010, 11:14 AM

I have a great raw applesauce recipe. It tastes JUST like cooked applesauce (like homemade cooked applesauce, so wayyy better than store bought stuff). I put like 4 apples and 1 pear and a small handfull of raisons in the blender. Well actually I put 2 pears, a handfull of raisons, and then fill the rest of the blender up with apples and 1-2 cups of water. The pears make it smoother and creamier than just blending up apples and the raisons give it more flavor, more like a cooked applesauce. It helps to blend it for at least a minute to really break down the apple fiber. It's quite filling too. I like to sprinkle raisons on top. My son loves it. It also freezes well if you make a couple of blender fulls at a time, then you can just take it out of the freezer, into the frig and have a meal already prepared for the next day.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#74 of 86 Old 02-03-2010, 02:45 PM

Thanks for that recipe, sweetpeppers, I will try that and see if it works in my standard blender

#75 of 86 Old 02-22-2010, 01:53 AM

How are all the raw foodies?

Right now I'm lucky if I hit 50% raw. I need to get away from family. They have horrible eating habits and they're always inviting us out to eat. Also, I don't have a car so getting fresh produce every 2-3 days is impossible. Things will change soon though!

#76 of 86 Old 02-22-2010, 11:21 AM

I'm also lucky (very lucky) to hit 50%. Ds and I are still doing a green smoothie every night (approx. 32 oz. each), but we're having awful financial troubles and have reverted to mostly dry beans and rice for a while. Hoping to be 90%+ soon, though!

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#77 of 86 Old 02-23-2010, 12:58 AM

I had a discovery yesterday. I've heard of raw foods and juice fasting doing some deep healing. I just realized that all my scar tissue in all my piercings is gone! I used to have large balls of tissue in all of them. So strange! It really makes me want to get back to 100%.

#78 of 86 Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM

I've been playing with raw food for over three years, but have always felt hungry but still drawn towards eating mostly living food. Recently I started eating more traditionally, including grass fed beef and our raw goat milk and raw cheese. I don't feel hungry when I eat that way and I haven't gained (or lost!) any weight. Does anyone eat a balance of raw and traditional foods? I find when I concentrate on traditional foods my produce intake is too low, also I miss all that fun uncooking! I'm thinking of keeping some raw dairy because I'm not a vegan and eating mostly raw again.

Loving my four beautiful children in all their various stages (17,14,3 &2), aspiring to be a graceful wife to one hardworking man
#79 of 86 Old 02-24-2010, 03:40 PM

We do traditional and raw foods in the home. Mostly the traditional is for DH and DD who are the meat eaters plus I was trying some traditional with ds for his cavities. I like to do a lot of homemade stock soups with lots of veggies, kale etc. I'm trying to balance dd out with traditional plus lots of raw fruits and veggies. I've done raw milk/eggs/beef with her too. Plus she eats green smoothies and kombucha. DS does plenty of kefir plus raw fruits and veggies. You might try doing 1-2 meals traditional and 1-2 meals plus snacks raw.

#80 of 86 Old 02-24-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by see mama run View Post
I've been playing with raw food for over three years, but have always felt hungry but still drawn towards eating mostly living food. Recently I started eating more traditionally, including grass fed beef and our raw goat milk and raw cheese. I don't feel hungry when I eat that way and I haven't gained (or lost!) any weight. Does anyone eat a balance of raw and traditional foods? I find when I concentrate on traditional foods my produce intake is too low, also I miss all that fun uncooking! I'm thinking of keeping some raw dairy because I'm not a vegan and eating mostly raw again.
I think I would try raw til noon (fruit or green smoothie or whatever), then half of each of the other 2 daily meals raw veg. Like half the food on the plate traditional and the other half raw produce. Wouldn't that be splendid?

Hi everyone...I'm still here as well!

I'm only hitting around 50% right now, too. It must be the February doldrums. I'm hoping the arrival of strawberries will kick things up a notch.

#81 of 86 Old 04-09-2010, 09:49 PM

what happened to everyone??

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
#82 of 86 Old 04-10-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

are we all cooked now or is it the old, tired thread title?

maybe it's time to start a fresh one...doing it now!

#83 of 86 Old 04-10-2010, 05:22 PM

I've been doing so bad lately. I went on vacation and still drank my green smoothies every morning (brought my blender) but sort of had a free for all with everything else but after I get this move behind me (moving this weekend) I hope to get back on track and back in my routines

#84 of 86 Old 04-10-2010, 08:28 PM

I've been nearly 100% raw for about 5 months now. I've had ups and downs, but am loving it My newest find... I made kale chips this week in the dehydrator. They were so yummy that I ate two bunches of kale worth in one day!
#85 of 86 Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 AM

So I have another question for the experienced raw foodies out there:

I've been reading more and more about the possible calcium blocking effects of the oxalic acid in raw spinach and about the thyroid suppressing qualities of the raw crucifers (broccoli, cabbage, and kale). I'm worried because I eat raw spinach or kale in a green smoothie 7 days a week. I have a goiter and nodules on my thyroid but my levels have always been normal. I haven't had my thryoid levels checked recently but I feel so tired and I'm wondering if it's the cruciferous veggies.

Any input???

And any other ideas for good tasting green smoothies that don't have oxalic acid or thyroid suppressing qualities?

I've tried parsley and it was nasty. I've tried collards and it was nasty (I like collards cooked but it was gross in my raw smoothie). So far the only ones I like are kale and spinach. I still plan on adding them about 2x a week but I really like my smoothies in the morning. Maybe I'll just go all fruit in my smoothies 5 days a week.

I guess, bottom line is, I need to get more creative overall in my raw foods. I'm getting a new blender and food processor soon so maybe that will help things a bit. I'll admit, I've been relying on my green smoothie in the morning to "cover" my bases for green veggies.

#86 of 86 Old 04-15-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Marimara!

A new thread has been started here:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1213887

Would you mind if we take it over there now? Two threads gets confusing.

I'll reply over on that thread a bit later!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page