Going vegan for the new year - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 01-04-2010, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Do you mean, which brand of rick milk is healthiest, or which between soy, almond, and rice?

We drink some cheaper brands of Rice Milk...not sure what they are or if they're organic, but they say that they're not GMOd and that's what really matters to me.
Oh I mean which type of milk is healthiest between soy, almond or rice.
they appear to me to all be enriched the same. I was also wondering if it is necessary to buy rice milk in organic which I have not found. I was wondering if rice is heavily sprayed with pesticides and chemicals like soybeans can be.
I have been drinking organic skim milk for 5 years now so this is all new to me. I do really like the rice and almond milk. Rice is not a food I have heard about as being important to buy organic version, like apples or soy products.
I have a 3 and a 6 yo girls and they prefer rice milk over soy and almond. I am just afraid like anything else that there is some information out there I am missing that states Rice milk is bad for you and we should have been drinking almond or organic soy.

Thanks,

Michelle
#32 of 49 Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 AM

I'm sure everyone will have a different opinion on that. Coming from my background in raw foods, even non-raw almond milk is the best choice of the 3. My family steers clear of soy, as we feel it's not a healthy option at all and I've read many articles about it causing girls to get their periods prematurely...because of the extra estrogens. Again, everyone has different opinions here, so you have to go with what feels right to you. But soy is a very processed food, unless you're eating straight up edamame or the soy bean itself. Whole foods are always a better option.

That said with the almond milk being healthiest, my family drinks rice milk b/c we buy the unsweetened, and the unsweetened almond milk doesn't taste good to us.

Mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09)
#33 of 49 Old 01-04-2010, 01:16 PM

Thanks Raene, I am going to stick with drinking the rice milk too because it is the only one my kids like. I just wanted another opinion from a vegan mama. It is not like I can ask my doctor. LOL!
#34 of 49 Old 01-04-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSamMom View Post
It is not like I can ask my doctor. LOL!
Isn't that the truth!!

#35 of 49 Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 PM

I prefer soy. It's the highest in protien, and the most economical. I don't find the claims that soymilk is unheathful to be credible, but I don't knock those who believe otherwise.

In Sacramento, the Natural Foods Co-Op and the Gluten Free Specialty Store are planning to carry Daiya. The owner of Pieces pizza is also looking into the possibility of offering it on their pizzas (they currently have a cheeseless pizza that is excellent, and usually have several vegan desserts). I don't know about Elliots. I haven't talked to the folks at Whole Foods, but I bet they'll get it eventually.
#36 of 49 Old 01-04-2010, 11:10 PM

Have you tried hemp milk? I really like it a lot, although it is pricier than anything else out there. My kids are opposite of yours, lol. They love the almond milk and detest the rice. I think in the end you have to go to what people are willing to eat.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#37 of 49 Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh I came down with a stomach bug so eating vegan has been no problem. I've barely been able to eat anything!

I'm so torn on the milk issue with DD. I nurse but have to supplement and am taking meds to make the milk I do. I plan to stop the meds soon so will have to supp more. We have donor milk left for a couple months and then I plan to use up the formula we have in the cubbard...but then I am so torn...continue formula, use cows milk or use soy or something else? I hate the idea of giving her cows milk but I think my mind will also feel like she is getting all the nutrients that way too. I can't help feeling like the other milks might be missing something vital to a little one that doesn't eat all that much.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#38 of 49 Old 01-05-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
Have you tried hemp milk? I really like it a lot, although it is pricier than anything else out there. My kids are opposite of yours, lol. They love the almond milk and detest the rice. I think in the end you have to go to what people are willing to eat.
I have not tried hemp milk. I have never seen it before in the supermarket. I will look for it at whole foods to try. I went to whole foods last month and spent like $350 trying out all the milks, soy, almond, rice, unsweetened and vanilla. I bought fake lunchmeat (yuck) fake ground beef (yuck) lots of tofu, tempeh, seitan. I have not cooked the seitan and tempeh yet, but the tofu is good with basic stir frys. We have been eating soup for the last week due to all of us are sick. After more research I have decided I dont want to over due the fake meats but am going to have to do some to please the family. I cannot wait to get my vita mix and make the hurry up alfredo sauce in the vegan Yum Yum blog. I guess the sause is so good you can put it over veggies for picky kids. I can't wait to try it! Oh and green smoothies. My vita mix should arrive by the end of the week!
#39 of 49 Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post
Ugh I came down with a stomach bug so eating vegan has been no problem. I've barely been able to eat anything!

I'm so torn on the milk issue with DD. I nurse but have to supplement and am taking meds to make the milk I do. I plan to stop the meds soon so will have to supp more. We have donor milk left for a couple months and then I plan to use up the formula we have in the cubbard...but then I am so torn...continue formula, use cows milk or use soy or something else? I hate the idea of giving her cows milk but I think my mind will also feel like she is getting all the nutrients that way too. I can't help feeling like the other milks might be missing something vital to a little one that doesn't eat all that much.

Cindy
Don't beat yourself up. Babies need milk. Since donor milk is hard to get, we do the best we can. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

And going off the meds MIGHT NOT impact your supply. It didn't for me-once the supply increased, the demand kept it up, even once I stopped the Domperidone and all the herbs.
#40 of 49 Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks catnip! I'm not too optimistic about stopping the dom since my supply did drop when I only dropped 2 pills! But I plan to add in shatavari instead and take that until we are ready to try for another baby. You don't have to wean off the shat and hopefully it will offset some of the decrease from the dom.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#41 of 49 Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 PM

Vegan Princess good luck! I've been vegan for 5 years now, had a vegan pregnancy and now raising a little vegan. Hope the transition back to veganism is smooth for you!

Greek Vegan wife to a vegan hippie farmer : and mama to an amazing little bean born in May 2009.
#42 of 49 Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks veganfox! So far so good. I did have a piece of cake at a friend's house that probably wasn't vegan but otherwise I haven't slipped at all. Baked goods have always been my downfall!! I'm baking a vegan carrot cake (with tofutti cream cheese frosting) for my daughter's early b-day celebration this weekend so I can enjoy too. I'm thinking I'm going to order a vegan cake from an awesome baker here for her real b-day.

Cindy

#43 of 49 Old 01-24-2010, 01:08 PM

Cindy,

I am reading Dr. Fuhrman book Disease-Prood Your Child (he also wrote Eat to Live). I remembered your post about being torn about feeding your daughter milk once yours runs out. He recommends soy or almond milk around age 1-2 and to get most of the fats from avacados, nuts and seeds. I bought his book used from amazon it is an excellent resource.

Michelle
#44 of 49 Old 01-24-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Jamsammom: Thanks for thinking of me! I'll definitely have to run on over to amazon and order a copy!

How is everyone doing? We had the most amazing vegan cheese fondue w/daiiya cheese last night followed by dark chocolate fondue. Divine! No sacrifices here being vegan.

Cindy

#45 of 49 Old 01-24-2010, 03:58 PM

Hi Cindy,

I love my vita mix it has made being vegan so much easier. I made the vegan enchiladas Raene posted last week and they were outstanding! I have the polenta from Catnip's post cooking today in my crockpot. I could not find the daiiya cheese at whole foods here but maby they were out of it. I will keep looking. I made the Hurry up Alfredo from the vegan yum yum blog and it is also outstanding!

Hurry Up Alfredo
Makes 2-3 Servings

1 Cup Soymilk
1/3 Cup Raw, Unsalted Cashews
1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
3 Tbs Low-Sodium Tamari or Soy Sauce
2 Tbs Earth Balance Margarine
1 Tbs Tahini
1 Tbs Fresh Lemon Juice
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 tsp Paprika (smoked is awesome)
1 Pinch Nutmeg
2-4 Cloves of Garlic, optional
Black pepper, to taste

Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. This may work best in a high-speed blender (like a Vita-Mix), but you can definitely make it in a regular blender. Just blend extra-long, or perhaps strain if if you want it perfectly smooth. Tiny bits of cashews won’t hurt anyone though!

If you’re making this sauce for pasta, drain the pasta and return it to the hot empty pan. Pour the sauce over, place on medium heat, and stir until heated through. Serve with lots of fresh cracked black pepper. I love it with steamed broccoli added in!

I pretty much eat a smoothie for breakfast, salad and soup for lunch, salad soup for dinner followed by a whole grain in the rice cooker with beans, veggies and a side of friut. I cook on the weekends and make extra so I don't have to cook during the week. My 6 year old keeps bugging me to go to mcdonalds or burger king as we drive home from daycare which is always fun at the end of the day. I was going to allow regular cheese and some processed snacks for the kids but after reading Dr. fuhrman's book I am deciding to have them go vegan. I am trying to figure out what my DD 6yo. will eat at school to compete with the hot lunches at school. I will pack fruit and soup for now. Thanks for the support!

Michelle
#46 of 49 Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSamMom View Post
I made the vegan enchiladas Raene posted last week and they were outstanding!
Yay! And thanks for that recipe..we'll definitely be trying it soon!

#47 of 49 Old 06-15-2010, 11:03 PM

So how is everyone doing? I have fallen off the Vegan wagon. My husband came home from Afghanistan in March and He wanted to go to outback steak house because they came and served the troops dead cows fed at grain lots chicken pop and corn! He said the chicken poop and corn make the cow meet taste better...He He I have been eating cheese because my kids loves cheese and the dyaina is not at whole foods in charleston, sc. whole foods said it was a problem because not every food is sold in all stores. I think california is setting the standards and we need to catch up. No one at whole foods knew what daiya cheese its. My kids eat cheese and crap at daycare and don't want me packing them vegan lunches. I have too many cook books but nothing my kids really want to eat, they hate satien and tempeh....bought at whole foods. I eat green smoothies, salad soup and for dinner I try to make something we will all eat. So sometimes I sub chicken for tofu for my family and sometimes I eat chicken too because I am hungary and tired and need to buy more tofu. Any sugestions on kid/family pleasing cookbooks or meal recipes. Thanks in advance! Oh Raene any more good recipes like the vegan enchilidas? Those were outstanding and I make them once a week!
#48 of 49 Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

I crashed and burned too. Stayed vegan for a week or two. I know I could easily do it if I really set the intention but I just don't fully have the desire to now...even though mentally I know all the reasons why I shoud. I am also trying to get pregnant again and I know that I'll be eating dairy while I'm prego so I suppose there is no point right now in starting. One day I will for sure be vegan again! I swear!

Cindy

#49 of 49 Old 06-16-2010, 12:37 PM

Cindy,

I think you are right, I will just do my best for now and be more of a flexaterian than a Vegan. I have to keep reminding myself it is progress and not perfection! Cutting back to once or twice a week to eat meat and not eating out would be a wiser step for now. My kids love cheese and it is too far and expensive to drive to Whole Foods every week. I am not as committed as I would like to be due to lack of family support. I do not have the self control yet to not eat food in the house. I know most people would say not to buy the food in the first place but I have to respect the wishes of my family. So we will cut back for now and just eat clean. I have a hard time with fast food when I am starving so I got the raw revolution bars for on the go and they actually taste great! Good luck with with baby making!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page