Considering going back to meat.... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 02-06-2010, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post
Tonight, I had veggie soup and store bought cornbread for dinner (my hubby is still trying to eat a vegetarian diet so I'm attempting to accommodate him to an extent) and felt like CRAP after eating it. In fact, my head is back to feeling fuzzy and I have a headache. I really think I'm going to go for lots of protein, fats, and veggies, with little to no carbs/grains.
Two things --

One, veggie soup & cornbread doesn't sound like a balanced meal. Vegan or not, you need some protein in there! Unless there were beans in the soup? But anyway... I'm not into vitamins & supplements, I think we need to get most or our nutrients directly from whole foods. I do use nutritional yeast in a lot of my cooking though. I consider it more a food than a supplement. But I notice when I have lots of quinoa & nut. yeast I feel great the next day. I think the extra protein & amino acids help out or something? Anyway, my point is, you can have a high-protein, lower-carb vegan diet. You don't need to eat meat to do that. I need lots of protein and not too much sugar (fruits, processed foods, etc.) because I'm hypoglycemic. I think you need to try to plan your meals better & you may notice a difference.

My other thought -- could you have an allergy or intolerance to certain grains? That could definitely cause some of the fogginess etc. & explain why you felt better on a low-carb diet.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#32 of 42 Old 02-08-2010, 03:22 PM

Since you seem to be committed to a compassionate diet, I suggest you look into eating some meat alternatives. There are a wide variety available these days and virtually all are healthier for you than meat. They'll give you the high protein and convenience that you desire from meat, without the guilt.

I suggest checking out http://meatalternatives.org/
#33 of 42 Old 02-10-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
My other thought -- could you have an allergy or intolerance to certain grains? That could definitely cause some of the fogginess etc. & explain why you felt better on a low-carb diet.
That's exactly what I thought when I read your last post about feeling crummy when eating grains. If your vegan diet has relied heavily on grains and been too low in protein for your needs, perhaps that is part of the problem.

I will admit that I have been vegan for 21 years including through two pregnancies. It is, obviously, working well for me, but you may need some tweaks in your diet.

Like someone suggested earlier, how about trying a higher protein veggie diet that minimizes or eliminates grains and includes eggs? Or have you made a decision to continue eating fish?
#34 of 42 Old 02-13-2010, 06:15 PM

Perhaps coconut oil could be a replacement for cholesteral in a vegan's diet if there is concern about a cholesteral deficiency.
#35 of 42 Old 02-13-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
I'd love to read that article on soy, if you have a link!
http://www.vegfamily.com/health/vega...nformation.htm
#36 of 42 Old 02-13-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
They said that low cholesterol was linked to depression, cancer, etc.
I had someone tell me that about cancer as well when I had my fasting cholesterol done last. My total # was a bit below 120 with quite a bit more than half being HDL. The dieticians at the hospital where I work told me that there was no link btwn low cholesterol & cancer.
#37 of 42 Old 02-13-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaN View Post
I had someone tell me that about cancer as well when I had my fasting cholesterol done last. My total # was a bit below 120 with quite a bit more than half being HDL. The dieticians at the hospital where I work told me that there was no link btwn low cholesterol & cancer.
I didn't believe it either. I think they were just looking for an excuse to charge me more money.

I remember at the time finding some information that suggested that if your cholesterol was low, despite consuming cholesterol that might indicate a problem, but for a vegan who does not consume added cholesterol to begin with, a low number was perfectly normal. It just made me mad that my numbers were being compared with people who ate lots of cholesterol.

It is also interesting that my husband who eats the exact same things as I do, has HIGH cholesterol (259). Totally genetic. IIRC, his mom's was above 300, which is probably where he would be if he ate the SAD.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#38 of 42 Old 02-14-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
It is also interesting that my husband who eats the exact same things as I do, has HIGH cholesterol (259). Totally genetic. IIRC, his mom's was above 300, which is probably where he would be if he ate the SAD.
Have to agree with the bolded part. I come from a long line of individuals with high cholesterol. We've all been very thin and have had pretty good diets. In fact, people (doctors) are often taken back by my high cholesterol levels because I've been marathoning vegetarian/vegan for many, many years and am not in the camp of people who would generally have high cholesterol due to diet. My DH and I eat the same exact things. He has low cholesterol, I have high.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#39 of 42 Old 02-14-2010, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaN View Post
THANK YOU! Can't wait to read it, I'm beginning my own thorough research on soy for an article I plan to write, and this will definitely be a great resource. =)

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#40 of 42 Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplesugar View Post
Perhaps coconut oil could be a replacement for cholesteral in a vegan's diet if there is concern about a cholesteral deficiency.
didn't work for us. We consume a gallon every other month and dd's was still below 80. maybe it would for others, but not for us. We had to introduce animal products to her. Regardless I tend to be in the camp of numbers don't mean as much as a person's experience. She wasn't doing well. Had she been I wouldn't have been so concerned. That tends to be the missing piece for so many....blood tests are a snapshot that need to be taken in context of the whole.
#41 of 42 Old 02-14-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susumama View Post
Humane meat & dairy????? You believe that?
Not all farmers mistreat their animals. I come from a family of farmers on both sides, so I have seen animals raised humanly. So it is possible to find a source for meat and dairy where the animals are not mistreated. The slaughter house is a different story though, I understand that.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#42 of 42 Old 02-15-2010, 10:27 PM

Hello!

I am returning this following some edits. We do not host debate in N&GE. Please do not post to criticize a certain diet in that forum.

Thanks!

Not all those who wander are lost 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page