Considering going back to meat.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 42 Old 01-01-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
 
ihugtrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I became a vegetarian in 2007, as a New Years Resolution, but was very unhealthy. Finally, in 2008, I started modifying my diet, and then in September of this year, I became vegan. First of all, I am extremely burned out on the vegan diet to begin with, I will acknowledge that. It's impossible to eat out. I have great difficulty eating 'snacks' because when I'm hungry, like yogurt or granola, I don't want sweet stuff-I want a substantial meal with lots of protein--salty, savory. That is what I crave. Since I am breastfeeding, I'm hungry CONSTANTLY. I find myself putting off eating because I don't feel like cooking, but at one point, I was cooking three full meals a day, and snacking in between on whatever--that is the only point at which I felt satisfied as a vegan. But I'm sick of all that cooking--all that chopping, all the dishes I have to wash. I'd probably still have that if I went back to meat, though...

But when I started to think about it this week, I realized I actually have felt pretty horrible in general since going vegan. I expected to be exhausted as a new mom, but thought after my daughter (7 months) settled into more of a routine and slept more at night, I'd feel better. We cosleep and she wakes once, maybe twice at night to nurse, and I feel like I'm getting plenty of sleep. I get enough protein, and eat a ton of vegetables...usually start out my day with a green smoothie with flax oil...the only boxed food item I even eat is pasta and brown rice, or cous cous, quinoa, etc--still not a ton...the mainstay of every meal is protein and vegetables....I supplement with B12 (I had a serious deficiency at one point), and also take Vitamin D and a prenatal vitamin. I don't exercise a lot, not purposefully, but I'm active...I do a good deal of walking as well as babywearing, and baby lifting every day.

I have had issues with depression my entire life, which are no worse since being postpartum, until recently...which could hinge a lot on weight I can't lose, self esteem I can't bring up...but it doesn't help that I have NO energy, always feel exhausted, and my mind feels EXTREMELY foggy. I have so much trouble remembering things, concentrating on things..I forget what I am going to say or what I am doing 100 times a day and feel like an idiot. Diet has such a huge impact on my mental health, and I remember the time in my life when I felt the absolute best was in 2006, when a doctor told me I was borderline diabetic, and I needed to go on a high protein, low carb diet. I ate a ton of meat, and tons of vegetables, and almost no carbs (granted, no fruit either. Still plenty of dairy, fats, etc.) I remember feeling euphoric the entire time I ate that way, and my mind was so clear! I could actually THINK, versus now, where I feel like I have to go through a maze in my head to form even one complete thought. I also lost 25 lbs in 3 months.

The Paleo/primal diet I read about sounds so right to me, but I hate the idea of eating animals again. I hate the idea of the suffering and cruelty, and know I could never kill an animal myself, so I feel like a hypocrite. I also am unsure what impact grassfed, organic meat animals have on the environment, but that was the main reason I went vegan.

Has anyone else been through this?

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

ihugtrees is offline  
#2 of 42 Old 01-01-2010, 01:33 PM
 
ambereva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you should talk to a doctor! I had all those symptoms and it turned out to be a wicked case of post partum depression. I didn't feel sad, so didn't think I was depressed, kwim?

I also think you should get some regular strenuous exercise into your routine, something that gets your heart rate up and keeps it up for at least 30 minutes several times a week. Exercise was what turned my life around. All the dietary changes and medications I tried barely made a dent, until I started exercising. I was active too, walked and chased my toddlers, etc, but it didn't get my heart rate up, that is key.

Ultimately eating meat may be part of the answer for you, but it sounds like you don't really want to, and there are other avenues you can explore before resorting to that.

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
ambereva is offline  
#3 of 42 Old 01-01-2010, 04:15 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never been veg*n but I am wondering if it has to be an all or nothing thing? I myself am becoming more of a flexatarian, eating meat/animal products only a few times per week rather than every meal or even every day. Some days I really don't need it, or days I feel I do. I feel this is the best answer for myself health wise, environmental wise, cost wise, etc.

Ultimately we all should listen to our own bodies.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

nicolelynn is offline  
#4 of 42 Old 01-01-2010, 04:22 PM
 
Sayward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would consider adding a DHA supplement to your regimen. DHA is so important for mood, energy, and especially to fight brain fog and depression. It's also important for your little one's breast milk!

You can get veg*n DHA supplements at larger health food stores or online. Just look for microalgae-derived DHA.

Good luck mama! I'm so sorry you're going through this, but this sounds a lot more like a case of PPD than something that just eating meat would 'cure'. Anyway, I hope you figure it out and I wish you the best of luck!

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
Sayward is offline  
#5 of 42 Old 01-02-2010, 12:28 AM
 
sprouthead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
I would consider adding a DHA supplement to your regimen. DHA is so important for mood, energy, and especially to fight brain fog and depression. It's also important for your little one's breast milk!

You can get veg*n DHA supplements at larger health food stores or online. Just look for microalgae-derived DHA.

Good luck mama! I'm so sorry you're going through this, but this sounds a lot more like a case of PPD than something that just eating meat would 'cure'. Anyway, I hope you figure it out and I wish you the best of luck!
YES!!! You have a lot of symptoms of an omega 3 deficiency!!!

Ground flax seed is a great vegan source of omega 3s, but some people have trouble utilizing plant sources.. if that's the case you may want to look into fish oil or maybe just adding fish to your diet a few times a week?
sprouthead is offline  
#6 of 42 Old 01-02-2010, 01:07 AM
 
KimL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New England (but planning a move in the next year or two...)
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well, if you don't want to eat animals you don't. It's really that plain and simple! Excuses can go on and on and on. Just like ANSWERS can!!! If you want to have a kinder diet- do it. Get cooking! Having your own hands making your own delicious and nourishing food, well there's nothing like it! The internet makes it IMPOSSIBLE to say you cannot find your own way and answers... there's no excuse!
KimL is offline  
#7 of 42 Old 01-02-2010, 01:38 AM
 
eepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: growing in the Garden State ............
Posts: 9,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why not go back to being a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I know it's not as perfect as being a vegan, but perfection isn't necessary to live a better life.

I've known a lot of failed vegans, but very few failed LO veggies. I myself have been a LO veggie for over 2 decades, and these days it's easy.

I happen to currently be on a very very low dairy diet (I'm very lactose intolerant and it's gotten worse recently) so I know just eliminating dairy puts a huge additional burden on finding foods when eating out etc. I think I'd go insane with out those occasional bits of dairy I have (while taking a handful of lactaid.)

I'm pretty sure I've stopped a lot more animal suffering in 22 years of LO veggieness than I would have in 2 years of veganness.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
eepster is offline  
#8 of 42 Old 01-02-2010, 04:18 AM
 
craft_media_hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: I'm diggin for fire!
Posts: 1,863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I posted on your thread in the TF board as well, but decided to move over here because I didn't want to incite any TFers.

I just wanted to say that if you're worried about getting enough fats (which you didn't say in your OP but someone else brought up), then you don't have to eat meat to get that---avocado, coconut, and nut butters give you yummy calorie dense foods.

I guess an occasional meat craving is not unusual for vegetarians. It didn't sound like you were craving it all the time, and coming from the veg side, having an occasional craving is very different from wrapping your mouth around chewing up and swallowing meat.

Happy and in love with my family!
craft_media_hero is offline  
#9 of 42 Old 01-02-2010, 05:19 AM
 
Sayward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
YES!!! You have a lot of symptoms of an omega 3 deficiency!!!

Ground flax seed is a great vegan source of omega 3s, but some people have trouble utilizing plant sources.. if that's the case you may want to look into fish oil or maybe just adding fish to your diet a few times a week?
The problem with plant-derived omega 3s is that you can only get ALA from plants (like flax, canola, walnuts, etc). But the body needs DHA and not everybody can assimilate ALA into DHA (a healthy body will make the conversion from ALA-->DHA, but some people cannot).

DHA is the usable omega 3 found in fish oil, but it's also found in microalgae. Studies have shown algal DHA to be just as bioavailable and usable as fish-derived DHA (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18589030).

Anyway, point being you do NOT have to eat fish to get your DHA! Yay! =D

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
Sayward is offline  
#10 of 42 Old 01-02-2010, 10:58 AM
 
NC EcoMaMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Udo's has a vegetarian blend DHA oil that is one of the best! I had severe depression after having my son.
I also had an iodine deficiency as well as thyroid trouble. I started adding Iodine and vitamin A to my diet and Woohoo! I felt fantastic! Within a week I saw results. More energy and much happier. (Also weight loss)

I also agree about the healthy fats. When I am having that craving, I make myself a lentil salad with a bit of avocado in it.

I am working on being vegan. I do have the occasional cheese, and right now while I am working on losing my IVF weight, I am avoiding it as much as possible. I try not to eat it at all because of the withdrawal symptoms I have each time I do have it and then go without again. Casein is very addictive for some people.


Peace,

Jo

Happy Mum, Adored Wife, Loyal Friend, Triangle API Leader, Proud Vegetarian, Peace Loving, !
NC EcoMaMa is offline  
#11 of 42 Old 01-02-2010, 12:44 PM
 
ambereva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post
Well, I posted on your thread in the TF board as well, but decided to move over here because I didn't want to incite any TFers.

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
ambereva is offline  
#12 of 42 Old 01-02-2010, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
ihugtrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC EcoMaMa View Post
Udo's has a vegetarian blend DHA oil that is one of the best! I had severe depression after having my son.
I also had an iodine deficiency as well as thyroid trouble. I started adding Iodine and vitamin A to my diet and Woohoo! I felt fantastic! Within a week I saw results. More energy and much happier. (Also weight loss)

I also agree about the healthy fats. When I am having that craving, I make myself a lentil salad with a bit of avocado in it.

I am working on being vegan. I do have the occasional cheese, and right now while I am working on losing my IVF weight, I am avoiding it as much as possible. I try not to eat it at all because of the withdrawal symptoms I have each time I do have it and then go without again. Casein is very addictive for some people.


Peace,

Jo
A question about the algae DHA...my husband has done a lot of research on it (while I was pregnant and newly postpartum I took fish oil DHA) and claims the algae is not as 'good' as the fish oil (I do need to ask him more about that to find out what exactly he means by that. He is very informed and knowledgeable so I know he has a good reason for thinking that--and he's also a stricter veghead than I am!) Also, I've read a lot of reviews on different fish and algae oils, and many people said they were burping fishy burps all day. Maybe TMI, but I have acid reflux or something like that, I believe, because I burp up foods a lot (and sometimes get acid from that.) Burping up an algae taste all day would make me sick, I think---I love veggie sushi but sometimes that seaweed taste all day discourages me from eating it at all. When my hubby wanted me to take the fish DHA, he researched reading reviews forever to find these strawberry flavored ones that didn't give you fish burps...and it never did. I am pretty worried about trying something new, especially because DHA is SO expensive.

I did start taking the flax oil because a vegan writer I follow said that you convert omega's into DHA any way, so that's good to know that some bodies don't...)

And, to be honest, I am a little bit on the Michael Pollan side of things when it comes to nutrients and supplements...he talks in his books about how we dissect foods down into nutrients, and so we fortify things with vitamins constantly (think, baby formula, which constantly changes)...for example, milk with DHA or granola bars with fiber, etc...but we really have no way of knowing if its THAT nutrient that causes the effect, or the whole food. There's a lot we don't know, you know? My daughter's pediatrician tried to get me to take these veggies-in-a-pill thing, and I asked her, "Why?? I eat several servings of vegetables with every meal. Isn't it better to get it from a source instead of taking a pill??" I just don't trust supplements, and I already spend a lot of money on the ones I am taking because I was told I 'have to.' I guess I'm just feeling disillusioned with the idea that being vegan is such a healthy diet, but you have to supplement with all of these different things in order to feel okay?

As for good fats...I eat one avocado a day, and lots of beans/legumes (are beans a good source of fats?)...I also cook everything in a high quality olive oil, and sometimes use coconut oil or different nut oils. Do you think that is a good amount of fat?

Thanks so much for the replies, and keep them coming...I want to make an informed choice, and you ladies here on MDC are always such a great source of information!!

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

ihugtrees is offline  
#13 of 42 Old 01-02-2010, 04:45 PM
 
Sayward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post
A question about the algae DHA...my husband has done a lot of research on it (while I was pregnant and newly postpartum I took fish oil DHA) and claims the algae is not as 'good' as the fish oil (I do need to ask him more about that to find out what exactly he means by that. He is very informed and knowledgeable so I know he has a good reason for thinking that--and he's also a stricter veghead than I am!) Also, I've read a lot of reviews on different fish and algae oils, and many people said they were burping fishy burps all day. Maybe TMI, but I have acid reflux or something like that, I believe, because I burp up foods a lot (and sometimes get acid from that.) Burping up an algae taste all day would make me sick, I think---I love veggie sushi but sometimes that seaweed taste all day discourages me from eating it at all. When my hubby wanted me to take the fish DHA, he researched reading reviews forever to find these strawberry flavored ones that didn't give you fish burps...and it never did. I am pretty worried about trying something new, especially because DHA is SO expensive.

I did start taking the flax oil because a vegan writer I follow said that you convert omega's into DHA any way, so that's good to know that some bodies don't...)

And, to be honest, I am a little bit on the Michael Pollan side of things when it comes to nutrients and supplements...he talks in his books about how we dissect foods down into nutrients, and so we fortify things with vitamins constantly (think, baby formula, which constantly changes)...for example, milk with DHA or granola bars with fiber, etc...but we really have no way of knowing if its THAT nutrient that causes the effect, or the whole food. There's a lot we don't know, you know? My daughter's pediatrician tried to get me to take these veggies-in-a-pill thing, and I asked her, "Why?? I eat several servings of vegetables with every meal. Isn't it better to get it from a source instead of taking a pill??" I just don't trust supplements, and I already spend a lot of money on the ones I am taking because I was told I 'have to.' I guess I'm just feeling disillusioned with the idea that being vegan is such a healthy diet, but you have to supplement with all of these different things in order to feel okay?

As for good fats...I eat one avocado a day, and lots of beans/legumes (are beans a good source of fats?)...I also cook everything in a high quality olive oil, and sometimes use coconut oil or different nut oils. Do you think that is a good amount of fat?

Thanks so much for the replies, and keep them coming...I want to make an informed choice, and you ladies here on MDC are always such a great source of information!!
For the DHA, I linked to this article up there ^^ but here it is again.

This (peer-reviewed journal) article shows that the effect of taking DHA from algae, and the effect of eating salmon, are the same on DHA levels in the body :http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18589030

This (peer-reviewed journal) article shows that preterm infants fed a formula using algal DHA actually thrive better (weight, length, etc) than those fed formula using fish DHA : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15812447

I'm a pregnant vegan so I've *definitely* done a ton of research on DHA (I've also read 'Defense Of Food' and am familiar with Pollan's arguments, but that's another discussion). I am totally convinced that algal DHA is not only equivalent to fish DHA, but is actually superior because as we all know fish are sponges for environmental toxins like mercury, etc, which are then stored in their FAT - where the oil comes from!

Anyway, I'd show these to your hubby and definitely I urge you to do your own research.



.

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
Sayward is offline  
#14 of 42 Old 01-02-2010, 08:43 PM
 
BunnySlippers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fluffierville
Posts: 2,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey,
I could have written your post; minus the new mom part.

I went complete vegetarian at 14ish, then later added chicken, fish and dairy.
When I became preg. I went back to complete vegan (animal products smelled and tasted like 3-day old roadkill). After dd was born I went back to modified vegan? diet.
Past two years I have felt like I was going to starve death, the feeling rarely left. I ate and ate and ate. I would see steak in the grocery store and want to cry because I couldn't have it. I finally gave in. I now eat red meat a few times a month. It has helped with the cravings, but my years of being veg make me uncomfortable with the meat and my vegan daughter glares at me and my meat, making me feel guilty.

I came here to find some good meal ideas to try and satisfy the cravings so that I can go back to vegan or vegetarian, but still feel full and have energy (and not loose weight).

I think you have to choose what is best for you and eat for your health.
I personally don't think eating meat is wrong (most of the time), I do have huge issue with how the animals are treated and slaughtered.

Decluttering 500/2010
BunnySlippers is offline  
#15 of 42 Old 01-02-2010, 11:35 PM
 
sprouthead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post
And, to be honest, I am a little bit on the Michael Pollan side of things when it comes to nutrients and supplements...he talks in his books about how we dissect foods down into nutrients, and so we fortify things with vitamins constantly (think, baby formula, which constantly changes)...for example, milk with DHA or granola bars with fiber, etc...but we really have no way of knowing if its THAT nutrient that causes the effect, or the whole food. There's a lot we don't know, you know? My daughter's pediatrician tried to get me to take these veggies-in-a-pill thing, and I asked her, "Why?? I eat several servings of vegetables with every meal. Isn't it better to get it from a source instead of taking a pill??" I just don't trust supplements, and I already spend a lot of money on the ones I am taking because I was told I 'have to.' I guess I'm just feeling disillusioned with the idea that being vegan is such a healthy diet, but you have to supplement with all of these different things in order to feel okay?
I agree with this, and what I think is the most confounding is that different people react to/absorb nutrients/tolerate things differently (which, I think, has to do with our own nutritional stores and our heritage).. So I don't believe that there are right answers to a lot of your questions.. We just have to figure out what works for us. It sounds like you have tried fish oil, algae-derived oil, and flax seed? Did you notice any improvements with one over the others? As far as fats, I think it depends a lot on how your body is able to utilize what you put in to it, as well as what your nutritional stores are like.. it sounds like you're on the right track as far as healthy fats go, but i think it'd be hard for someone to say whether or not it's "enough".. kwim?

Because you mentioned acid reflux, I think it's worth looking into what is causing that.. It could be low stomach acid, which would benefit from probiotics (again, preferably whole foods like fermented veggies or kombucha or something, if you're not doing those already) and zinc, or it may be being caused by a gluten intolerance.. i bring this up because either of those problems could be affecting how you digest your food- and in that case no matter what you eat, you're not going to get as much nutritional benefit from it..

and finally, as far as tf goes- i think that there are things that you can incorporate from tf into your diet that will help with your nutrition, w/o specifically eating meat (in fact, I'm reading wap's book now trying to figure out how he looked at all of these healthy cultures who ate meat sparingly and then jumped into recommending high protein and high fat diets for everyone....) but if you're not doing them already- things like soaking grains will help your body digest them, pairing certain foods together to help them release more vitamins and nutrients, probiotics to aid digestion, etc. The book "The Jungle Effect" does a great job summarizing key points from various traditional diets to maximize nutritional intake..

good luck!
sprouthead is offline  
#16 of 42 Old 01-03-2010, 10:24 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 12,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
(in fact, I'm reading wap's book now trying to figure out how he looked at all of these healthy cultures who ate meat sparingly and then jumped into recommending high protein and high fat diets for everyone....)
He didn't. The WAPF, founded after his death does. Very different. They totally bastardized his findings IMO.
Panserbjorne is offline  
#17 of 42 Old 01-03-2010, 11:31 PM
 
ambereva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post

And, to be honest, I am a little bit on the Michael Pollan side of things when it comes to nutrients and supplements...he talks in his books about how we dissect foods down into nutrients, and so we fortify things with vitamins constantly (think, baby formula, which constantly changes)...for example, milk with DHA or granola bars with fiber, etc...but we really have no way of knowing if its THAT nutrient that causes the effect, or the whole food. There's a lot we don't know, you know? My daughter's pediatrician tried to get me to take these veggies-in-a-pill thing, and I asked her, "Why?? I eat several servings of vegetables with every meal. Isn't it better to get it from a source instead of taking a pill??" I just don't trust supplements, and I already spend a lot of money on the ones I am taking because I was told I 'have to.' I guess I'm just feeling disillusioned with the idea that being vegan is such a healthy diet, but you have to supplement with all of these different things in order to feel okay?
I'm on the Michael Pollan side of things too. I don't take ANY supplements (except turmeric, which I consider a food) and I'm healthy and full of energy and feel so good in my skin. Again, I think your issue may not be nutritional. I took an antidepressant for a while to 'reboot' my system, and now I rely on daily exercise to keep my mood stable.

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
ambereva is offline  
#18 of 42 Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 PM
 
sprouthead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
He didn't. The WAPF, founded after his death does. Very different. They totally bastardized his findings IMO.
thank you! that's what i was starting to assume but i figured i hadn't yet done enough research to come across the link.. does the wapf have documentation of how they make the recommendations that they do?

ps- op, sorry to hijack!
sprouthead is offline  
#19 of 42 Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 PM
 
catnip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Posts: 2,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It kind of sounds to me like what you need isn't meat, it's clever meal planning and a good freezer stash.

Batch cooking is your friend. For example, I get 4 dinners out of a double batch of enchilada sauce - I freeze half, and use half right away in a casserole that will feed us for 2 nights. I routinely plan leftovers for lunches. I make big batches of chickpea salads for sandwiches, and double batches of marinara to make spaghetti on wednesday and stuffed shells on friday. We make big batches of things like veggie burgers, homemade sausages, barbecue and pizza sauce. Mondays we always make veggie loaf, which gives us a couple of days of cold loaf sandwiches for lunches.

And make double dinners for the freezer when you can. It's a great burnout remedy to be able to heat and eat a delicious home-cooked dinner.
catnip is offline  
#20 of 42 Old 01-04-2010, 10:04 PM
 
NC EcoMaMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Catnip, I think I may raid your freezer! Sounds so yummy.

Peace,

Jo

Happy Mum, Adored Wife, Loyal Friend, Triangle API Leader, Proud Vegetarian, Peace Loving, !
NC EcoMaMa is offline  
#21 of 42 Old 01-05-2010, 12:07 AM
 
Sayward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post
It kind of sounds to me like what you need isn't meat, it's clever meal planning and a good freezer stash.

Batch cooking is your friend. For example, I get 4 dinners out of a double batch of enchilada sauce - I freeze half, and use half right away in a casserole that will feed us for 2 nights. I routinely plan leftovers for lunches. I make big batches of chickpea salads for sandwiches, and double batches of marinara to make spaghetti on wednesday and stuffed shells on friday. We make big batches of things like veggie burgers, homemade sausages, barbecue and pizza sauce. Mondays we always make veggie loaf, which gives us a couple of days of cold loaf sandwiches for lunches.

And make double dinners for the freezer when you can. It's a great burnout remedy to be able to heat and eat a delicious home-cooked dinner.
Veggie loaf recipe??? =D

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
Sayward is offline  
#22 of 42 Old 01-05-2010, 12:12 AM
 
~Heyokha~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: planting seeds and singing songs
Posts: 1,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dont have much time.... But I just wanted to chime in.

I was a long time veg and about 6 months ago I started eating meat for a lot of the same reasons that you listed. I'm now preparing to go back to a veg diet.

I feel like crap eating meat. Honestly. Complete crap and it didn't help at all. So now I'm back at square one (well negative 1 since I'm eating meat and feeling more crappy,lol.)

I'll try to come back and create a more concise, informative post but I have children in the background making loud noises so its hard to concentrate
~Heyokha~ is offline  
#23 of 42 Old 01-05-2010, 12:40 AM
 
Purple*Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fluffyville
Posts: 5,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
Past two years I have felt like I was going to starve death, the feeling rarely left. I ate and ate and ate. I would see steak in the grocery store and want to cry because I couldn't have it. I finally gave in. I now eat red meat a few times a month. It has helped with the cravings, but my years of being veg make me uncomfortable with the meat and my vegan daughter glares at me and my meat, making me feel guilty.
Every time I see your name I think it is me Anyhow, can you find a local source of grass fed meat? When I eat meat that is where it comes from. I feel better at least knowing that the cow was ethically treated in a family farm type environment.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
   
Purple*Lotus is offline  
#24 of 42 Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
 
BunnySlippers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fluffierville
Posts: 2,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
Every time I see your name I think it is me Anyhow, can you find a local source of grass fed meat? When I eat meat that is where it comes from. I feel better at least knowing that the cow was ethically treated in a family farm type environment.
so funny cause I do the same, and I think 'I wrote that when?' , then I see 'flakes'

I drive past a farm on my way to work that has a sign advertising organic pasture fed beef and poultry, but there are so many in one field and they are always camped out around a mouldy round bale of hay that I bet the meat probably isnt all that healthy, nor the animals all that happy.
All the places I see advertised in mags and online are so far away. I think if I had a freezer going great distances to bring back a larger quantity would be worth it.
Someday i will have a farm and I will see how I feel about the meat issue then.

Until know, so long as I get myself prepared (love the many meals at once idea) I thope I will be able to satsify my cravings with being vegetarian as much as possible.

Decluttering 500/2010
BunnySlippers is offline  
#25 of 42 Old 01-05-2010, 05:24 PM
 
smallmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree that it sounds like you are missing something nutritionally (although I don't feel educated/qualified enough to say what it is - whole nuts rather than oils? Spirulina or other algae? Sunshine for Vit D? Exercise? More calories in general?). Whatever it is, I feel that it is something you can still get from a vegan diet.

I just wanted to comment about this:
Quote:
but it doesn't help that I have NO energy, always feel exhausted, and my mind feels EXTREMELY foggy. I have so much trouble remembering things, concentrating on things..I forget what I am going to say or what I am doing 100 times a day and feel like an idiot.
Is it possible this is just "mommy brain"? Lord knows I felt the same way with a 7 month old (and still do sometimes now that he's 3, although it has improved), and I was an omni at the time. The first year or so of motherhood is just hard, physically and mentally. Hang in there!
smallmama is offline  
#26 of 42 Old 01-05-2010, 05:31 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 12,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallmama View Post

I just wanted to comment about this:


Is it possible this is just "mommy brain"? Lord knows I felt the same way with a 7 month old (and still do sometimes now that he's 3, although it has improved), and I was an omni at the time. The first year or so of motherhood is just hard, physically and mentally. Hang in there!
IT is common, but I don't think it's normal. I think that we've just come to a place of acceptance about it and there is a spectrum, certainly. However excellent nutrition can have a major impact on how we experience so many things. Just my two cents.
Panserbjorne is offline  
#27 of 42 Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
 
ihugtrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
IT is common, but I don't think it's normal. I think that we've just come to a place of acceptance about it and there is a spectrum, certainly. However excellent nutrition can have a major impact on how we experience so many things. Just my two cents.
Thanks for all the input, everyone. It is possible I could be suffering from depression, or from mommy brain. As for depression, I've struggled with it my entire life, and am familiar with it (have also tried meds, supplements, and counseling, none of which have worked much). These seems to be something more on top of that. As for mommy brain, I guess that could be it...We are sleeping great around here 98% of the time (we cosleep so I don't even really notice when my little girl wakes up at night to nurse) and I *feel* as if I have gotten things together. For sure, the first 3 months or so were very hard, but after that, I felt like I was all right. I guess there's just something in me telling me to eat meat.

As for the DHA, I talked more with my husband and he says his only reason against it was that it costs twice as much, and we are on such a tight budget already. He said he did read in his research that fish oil is not better than the algae one, although I could've sworn he told me it was...

Yesterday I bought some organic salmon and shrimp from our co-op, as well as some free range eggs and non-homogenized milk. I've eaten next to no grains/gluten/carbs yesterday and today, and have noticed a difference for the better. Tonight, I had veggie soup and store bought cornbread for dinner (my hubby is still trying to eat a vegetarian diet so I'm attempting to accommodate him to an extent) and felt like CRAP after eating it. In fact, my head is back to feeling fuzzy and I have a headache. I really think I'm going to go for lots of protein, fats, and veggies, with little to no carbs/grains. I'd also prefer to do raw milk if I'm going to do it--although the non homogenized organic grass fed stuff sure tastes better than any other milk I've ever had. The great news is that in 3 weeks I am moving to Washington, and have already found local, humane sources for all of those items If it turns out in a few months that I still feel like crap, I guess I'll start back at square one!

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

ihugtrees is offline  
#28 of 42 Old 02-05-2010, 04:09 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 12,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
while I agree with the sentiment that the WAPF is kinda a sham, and truthfully haven't read what they have to say on this issue there is a very medical and documented link between low cholesterol and depression. You can't make the neurotransmitter seratonin without adequate cholesterol. Some people require it dietarily.
Panserbjorne is offline  
#29 of 42 Old 02-06-2010, 07:09 AM
 
susumama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post
The great news is that in 3 weeks I am moving to Washington, and have already found local, humane sources for all of those items
Humane meat & dairy????? You believe that?

Peace loving VEGAN Crunchymumma to praying for another real soon!
Wake up! There's a slice of VEAL in every glass of milk!
susumama is offline  
#30 of 42 Old 02-06-2010, 09:37 AM
 
CaraboosMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree w/ the Michael Pollan mentions...I was a vegetarian for 12 years (but to be fair - I was not a HEALTHY vegetarian. I eat far more vegetables now) I think there are some good things to be gleaned from WAPF and Sally Fallon, but you need to take it all with a grain of salt & do your own reading. Nina Planck has written some great things about Real Food.

I think from an environmental standpoint - wild game meats are the best way to go, but you might not feel comfortable with that from a Animal Lover standpoint (Makes me a little sad/uncomfortable). If the veg label isn't super important to you - you could always include a few meat meals a week (from ethical sources) and still eat mostly plants This is what we do...Meat isn't a staple at dinners -- and it's rare that we have it @ breakfast or lunch (unless leftover soup/stew).
CaraboosMama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off