Vegetarian Preschooler Meal Ideas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4yo is in FT childcare, and we substitute a veggie option for the entree each day. They will accept a ready-to-heat option but it's a PITA to coordinate, so we try to send cold or room temp meals. We're in a serious rut of cheese sticks or soy butter & honey sandwiches.

Any thoughts on how to change it up?

Thanks, mamas!

Mother, Wife, Worker Bee. Mama to Clara (10/05) and Ophelia (12/09)
#2 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 PM

My kids will eat lentil burgers cold.I also make tofu with a splash of soy sauce, some garlic powder, mixed veggies & rice. It takes about 30 second to heat up, but again, I've had it cold before and it's still good. Rice salad you can make in a big batch and freeze. Falafal? Chummos sandwiches? Hard boiled eggs? You can also do things like french toast sticks & pancakes.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#3 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 AM

Hummus, either with pita to scoop it or as a sandwich.

PB&J if you're allowed to do peanut butter.

Cold soba noodles with sesame seeds and nori. And a hard boiled egg cut into quarters with soy sauce (this is my 3 3/4 yo DS's favorite.)

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#4 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 10:54 AM

i need ideas too, but one another thing we do is spread leftover black beans on toast.......
#5 of 10 Old 01-10-2010, 03:46 AM

My DD in particular prefers some things cold that I wouldn't eat cold. This was my meal list for DD to choose from for summer camp lunches- no heating available:

Edamame-cooked, salted, chilled
Hard boiled egg
Cheese quesadilla
Jelly sandwiches-kept 3 kinds of jelly as these were pretty frequent here
Fast Pasta salad-chilled pasta with broccoli lemon juice, olive oil and parm cheese
Mini bagels and veggie cream cheese
Veggie hot dog, no bun

She doesn't like hummus (she did 2 years ago, then suddenly no), but hummus and baby carrots would be easy/fast.

With any of these, I would add crackers, fruit/veggie cheese stick.

When it was a camp where she could take nuts/nut butter, we added mixed nuts or apple slices/pear slices and peanut or almond butter in a little container with a spreader.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#6 of 10 Old 01-10-2010, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
They make this stuff called pea-butter and its peanut free. That would be good for snadwiches and you can make ants on a log with it or put it on crackers. Oh my new favourite lunch is a chickpea salad sandwich. You mash some chickpeas with a fork, add a bit of mayo, mustard and relish. Its so good and a perfect replacement for egg/chicken salad sandwiches.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#7 of 10 Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 PM

We have to bring our own food to daycare too. Our regular (though boring I admit) for meals is:

cheese or pb and homade jam sandwhich with carrots and ranch with a couple mandarins or grapes

left over pasta, yogurt and fruit

left over soup and crackers (as long as I blend any soup, he pretty much eats it)

hummus and rice crackers, yogurt and fruit

veggie nuggets, carrots with ranch or sweet potato fries with ketchup and fruit

quinoa pilaf, yogurt and fruit

I also tried a cold black bean burger this week and he ate about half of what I sent...so that seems like a new option we have now.

Thats about it..I know it can be a bit boring, but he eats about all of that at least. Ds is almost 3 and a fairly picky eater. I am in nursing school and work part time..so I don't have a lot of time to invest in meals! I try to utilize left overs as often as possible though as that saves on time and is usually pretty healthy.

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#8 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 AM
klt

I check this blog out time to time, and will use it more once I need to pack a lunch for my little one.
http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

Check out her posts from several years back when her child was younger to get ideas for your child's age! Enjoy!

Single mom, raising a spirited boy (6yo) superhero.gifin the middle of the farms outside the city.
#9 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 09:38 AM
klt

Hey Gator-mom-
I'm in Nursing school too! Just subscribed to Veg & Veg Living thread! See you around here & best of luck!! Karen

Single mom, raising a spirited boy (6yo) superhero.gifin the middle of the farms outside the city.
#10 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 PM

How about something you heat up before you leave and drop into a thermos? Then you have the option of sending whatever you happen to have on hand in terms of leftovers rather than being forced to come up with a meal. They don't have to reheat it either. Add a piece of fruit or cheese and you're done.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page