Vegan friendly salve for a new mama? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-09-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this forum tends to be food-centric.... but I could use some suggestions on some good non-food vegan products. All of the salves I've found to heal cracked nipples or babies rashy butts have had beeswax or lanolin in them, which I do not use. Anyone know of good vegan-friendly salves/balms I can stock up on while I wait on my LO's arrival? We're cd-ing the babe too, so the behind-balm would have to be cd-friendly. TIA!

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#2 of 11 Old 01-09-2010, 09:13 PM

I LOVE coconut oil! My lactation consultant recommended it when my nipples where cracked and it worked wonders for me. I also use it for dry skin, chapped lips, as a massage oil...and you can eat it.
I use this one: http://www.vitacost.com/Nutiva-Organ...onut-Oil-15-oz

For diaper rash I have found Merry Hampsters hemp salve the best: http://www.vitacost.com/Merry-Hempst...y-Herbal-Salve

Mama to DS 7/23/08.
#3 of 11 Old 01-09-2010, 09:58 PM

The brand Earth Mama Angel baby makes a nipple butter and a diaper cream, among others. They are an AMAZING company, vegan, and then only company (last I heard) to have their entire product line receive a '0' on the Skindeep website. I highly, highly recommend them!

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#4 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 01:56 PM

We've used shea butter and coconut oil for cracked skin. I might go more for the coconut oil on your nipples since I'm not as certain that you can eat shea butter and the baby may ingest some.

I found that steeped and cooled black tea bags left to rest on my bare nipples also helped when dd#1 was a baby.
#5 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Anything from Motherlove.

Happy Mum, Adored Wife, Loyal Friend, Triangle API Leader, Proud Vegetarian, Peace Loving, !
#6 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 02:25 PM

I was also going to suggest the Earth Mama Angel Baby. I used their nipple butter and loved it.

Here.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#7 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC EcoMaMa View Post
Anything from Motherlove.
Unfortunately, their nipplecream and diaper rash cream both have beeswax although they don't use lanolin.
#8 of 11 Old 01-10-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
I was also going to suggest the Earth Mama Angel Baby. I used their nipple butter and loved it.

Here.
I have a bath and body product addiction of sorts.... and this company will totally be feeding it! So much fun looking stuff to try on there... Thank you to all for the recommendations and links to this site!

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#9 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
The brand Earth Mama Angel baby makes a nipple butter and a diaper cream, among others. They are an AMAZING company, vegan, and then only company (last I heard) to have their entire product line receive a '0' on the Skindeep website. I highly, highly recommend them!
I second that! Earth mama Angel baby rox! they are very vegan friendly. We have the baby bottom balm, and their mama bottom balm was great post-partum for me. oh, and I love the nipple butter!!! We also use their shampoo for our DS and it smells so nice. I highly recommend it!

Greek Vegan wife to a vegan hippie farmer : and mama to an amazing little bean born in May 2009.
#10 of 11 Old 01-14-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganfox View Post
I second that! Earth mama Angel baby rox! they are very vegan friendly. We have the baby bottom balm, and their mama bottom balm was great post-partum for me. oh, and I love the nipple butter!!! We also use their shampoo for our DS and it smells so nice. I highly recommend it!
Thirded the Earth Mama Angel Baby line! I have almost their entire baby/post partum line and I love it!

Also, you can use their diaper balm for lots more than bums! It's good for rashes, scrapes, cradle cap, and lots more! Just use a different container for the bum :P
#11 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
This is all we use for my kids and me when we need some soothing. The nipple butter and bottom balm are both great!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?

Tags
Earth Mama Body Butter 8oz , Earth Mama Body Butter 4oz , Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter 2 Fl Oz 60 Ml , Earth Mama Angel Baby Labor Ease Massage Oil 30 Ml Oil , Earth Mama Angel Baby Postpartum Recovery Bath Herbs , Earth Mama Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm 2 Fl Oz 60 Ml , Earth Mama Angel Baby C Mama Healing Salve , Earth Mama Angel Baby Organics , Earth Mama Angel Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page