What to do with bulgar wheat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-18-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought some on a whim, and all i can find is tabouleh, and i don't think my family will eat that. Any other suggestions?
#2 of 7 Old 01-18-2010, 11:02 AM

I've used it in chili. I've also used it along with other things like rice, oats, etc... to make a crockpot breakfast.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#3 of 7 Old 01-18-2010, 01:23 PM

You can use it (as tabouleh) for another style of grain salad (like something normally made with cooked rice). Also pretty good tossed in soups, and I've seen it used in veggie-burger-type patties.

My FAVE is fruit tabouleh, I pretty much exclusively use it for this:

*soak 1c bulgur wheat with 1c juice overnight (usually orange, apple is good too, maybe a pinch of cinnamon and honey or maple syrup if you like).

*in the am, cut up a variety of fruits - I do something like an apple or pear, grapes or berries, maybe a mango or mandarin oranges, and usually toss a handful of golden raisins in. Chopped fresh mint is great too, but you can do it without (I love using our garden mint for this during the spring/summer).

*Then mix the fruit with the juice soaked bulgur. It makes a heartier fruit salad, tasty with a dollop of yogurt (or not).
#4 of 7 Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 PM

A few ideas from my Lebanese MIL--

--make mujadra (usually brown lentils and rice topped with carmelized onions), but substitute the bulgur for the rice. Use generous amounts of olive oil. It is SOOO good! Much better than using rice, IMO.

--make "potato kibbe"--cook potatoes, mash together with the bulgur, add salt, flatten on a plate and top with olive oil. Eat with a spoon or pita bread

--Tomato and bulgur http://www.mediterranean-food.net/in...3588&Itemid=26
#5 of 7 Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 PM

Dh is from Turkey. We basically use it in the place of rice. Just about anywhere you find rice, you can use the bulgur instead.
#6 of 7 Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions. I cooked it half/half with brown rice last night and it was awesome!
#7 of 7 Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 PM

I'd like to second the chili suggestion. It sounds a little weird, but tastes great!

I also love bulgar topped with steamed chard or beet greens, roasted root veggies, and a sauce made from miso, tahini, and lemon juice.

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page