Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Peanut-Free, Egg-Free Protein Sources? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I'm new to this forum and really looking forward to getting to know you all!

I'm hoping you guys have some suggestions for me, as I am really at a loss for protein ideas for my DD, 15 months. She has soy and dairy allergies, possibly eggs and nuts (we're holding off on those right now). Clearly this really limits her sources for protein. She still nurses at least 4 times a day, so I'm not too worried, but obviously as she nurses less it will be more important that we provide her plenty of sources of protein. She loves her fruits, veggies, and any carbohydrate I put in front of her.

The only sources of protein she eats regularly are oatmeal, whole grain bread and pasta, the occasional Quorn product (though I try to limit the processed meat substitutes), lentils and beans. I need to start preparing brown or wild rice for her. Am I missing anything? I've only made quinoa once, and it was awful. Her solids intake is still pretty low overall.

Thank you!
#2 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 03:03 AM

You don't want to do Quorn if she has an egg allergy. There is egg in Quorn. Some of the Quorn products have dairy too.

It sounds like you are down to lots of beans, seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, hemp, chia), and whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat bread, quinoa, barley, millet, etc). Seitan too.
#3 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 08:06 AM

allergies suck huh.

lentils, especially red ones are pretty easily digested, so a good bean choice for little ones.
chickpeas (garbanzo in the US right?) are a favourite of ours too - mashed up with lemon juice and olive oil to make hommous.
#4 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you can find it, red rice has way more protein than brown. I found it at the italian center. I tastes good to me and I make sloppy joes with it and kidney beans.

Hemp powder has a lot of protein and it hides well in a smoothie.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#5 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 01:03 PM

Millet is also relatively high in protein, grain wise, and more rice-tasting than quinoa. Millet porridge (like oatmeal - but cooks longer) is good, and it's easily added to soups or served like rice.

I'm thinking buckwheat flour is higher in protein, as is chickpea flour (which is very tasty).
#6 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rice protein powder is free of all those allergens and is vegan, but it's also a very highly processed food. I keep some on hand for "too busy to eat" days, but in general it's best to stick with whole foods. If you're not planning to feed her any meat or fish (which are perfectly safe and appropriate for dairy and egg allergic people, but obviously not vegetarian), then I'd suggest offering lots of beans- maybe even bake with a combination of bean and grain flours so that she'll get balanced protein even if she fills up on muffins or cookies.

It's also important for you to avoid her allergens, so there won't be any traces of them in your milk.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#7 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
It's also important for you to avoid her allergens, so there won't be any traces of them in your milk.
Yup, I am following the same restrictions.
#8 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googy View Post
You don't want to do Quorn if she has an egg allergy. There is egg in Quorn. Some of the Quorn products have dairy too.
Cooked eggs seem to be okay, thankfully. Though for ethical reasons I'm moving toward entirely vegan for DD and myself. We use the dairy-free Quorn.
#9 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm trying to get a good idea of what to be moving toward as she gradually eats more solids. I'm so glad she is still nursing. With all these limitations, it's especially awesome. Hopefully she continues to BF a lot until we get testing done and know officially what is okay!

I'll have to check out other threads for ideas on using some of the foods you guys suggested. Thanks again.
#10 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 03:38 AM

Just a note on the quinoa, you need to rinse it extremely thoroughly before you cook it or it will taste nasty.

It has naturally occurring saponins (detergent-like molecules) on it, so when you start rinsing it (use a very fine-mesh sieve) you will see some bubbles/lather coming off it. Keep rinsing until you don't see that any more.

If you don't rinse it enough it will taste very bitter. Prepared properly it has a very neutral flavor and a bit more texture than rice.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#11 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 03:42 AM

Oh, you also might want to try some hemp milk and see if she'll take it.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#12 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM

I agree with the quinoa! Rinse rinse and rinse some more!

Hemp seeds are great. Ds will eat hemp seeds on everything! So we use "sprinkles" on pasta, in smoothies, even his roasted potatoes get a sprinkling of hemp seeds. He loves them.

I would try beans as finger foods, you could also make bean patties as a change or soups high and beans.

I don't envy you! My ds has a milk intolerance/gluten intolerance and thats hard enough, full blown allergies I'd lose my mind

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#13 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 01:34 PM

I bought some sunflower based veggie burgers when I was dealing with those same allergies in my son while trying to maintain my 20 years as a vegetarian. I thought they were pretty gross, but I do like sunflower seed butter. You won't like my answer, but I ended up going back to eating chicken and fish for 3 years while nursing him, and have gone back to being a vegetarian in the last 3-6 months.

My son has outgrown his milk, egg and corn allergies, still has peanut and soy allergies, but we can't get him to stop eating chicken.
#14 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedteacher30 View Post
I bought some sunflower based veggie burgers when I was dealing with those same allergies in my son while trying to maintain my 20 years as a vegetarian. I thought they were pretty gross, but I do like sunflower seed butter. You won't like my answer, but I ended up going back to eating chicken and fish for 3 years while nursing him, and have gone back to being a vegetarian in the last 3-6 months.

My son has outgrown his milk, egg and corn allergies, still has peanut and soy allergies, but we can't get him to stop eating chicken.
My husband has been encouraging me to go back to eating chicken and fish, but DD wants to eat everything I eat, and neither of us want her eating meat. Sigh. This is a lot of work. I'm a newer vegetarian, so being committed to keeping myself and DD vegetarian was going to be enough work. It's so much worse without dairy, soy, eggs or nuts! Oh well. I've been losing weight, and my migraines have almost entirely disappeared, so that's a nice reward!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page