Help! DD wants to go vegan and I am scared.... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 02-08-2010, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a huge picky eater, and since becoming vegetarian, my food palate has expanded incredibly. I've tried more new foods in the past six months than I have in the prior 19.5 years. So, keep optimistic! After a month of beans, peanut butter and fake meat nuggets, she'll be so bored she'll be dying to try something new. Amazon.com offers some great vegan cookbooks too. I eat dairy and eggs, but my favorite of all my cookbooks is vegan. I actually find myself cooking vegan pretty regularly. You should be so proud for encouraging and supporting her. It sounds like this is really important to her.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#32 of 50 Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 AM

While it might not mesh with my personal beleifs, I think it is great of you to support your daughter in developing her beliefs. It sounds like you have a good plan to start exploring this with her.

I do have to say that if she cannot/will not do the work/learning to make sure that she is meeting her nutritional needs, then I would work very hard to find a way to keep her ovo-lacto, until she is mature enough to meet those needs. while you can be slightly picky and laisez-faire about food and nutrition when you eat plenty of eggs and dairy, you could quickly become deficinent in many nutrients when first starting out as a vegan (I imagine it eventually becomes second nature). 11 is old enough to make food choices for sure, however it is not old enough for all kids (some, probably) to make the effort to make sure their diet is balenced. I would suggust helping her keep track of her diet, and if she can't keep it balenced enough, help her find a way that she can fit ovo-lacto with her ethics. If she can, that's great.

(and if you have some small farms, it is possible to visit them, even it doesn't seem common.)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#33 of 50 Old 02-08-2010, 10:42 PM

Try this site:

http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVega...tegory=Staples

It's called "I can't believe it's vegan." and it lists a ton of foods and pantry staples that are readily available in normal grocery stores.
As for the rest of your concerns, discuss them openly with her. If she's old enough to make the choice to go vegan then she's old enough to assume some responsibility for it ( ie cooking vegan meals when you have an omni meal planned for the family, cleaning up her mess, doing the research to ensure she gets a balanced diet, etc...)

forgot to add that she should look at the Vegan Lunchbox blog and consider getting the cookbooks. There are a lot of really kid friendly recipes there.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#34 of 50 Old 02-08-2010, 11:19 PM

In addition to all the other great resources suggested, I'd suggest that you and your daughter both read the Vegetarian Starter Kit. It's not long, is straightforward, and has lots of useful health and nutritional information as well as recipes. You can download the whole booklet as a PDF or order a print copy.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/

ETA: Thanks for being a supportive mom!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#35 of 50 Old 02-08-2010, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

-I have no idea where she is going to get the iron, calcium, B12, and the protein she needs. I have no idea what it will do to her, physically, if she does not get the nutrients she needs.
any advice?

Help!
Enriched rice milk It's good btw, I have no need to ever drink cows milk ever again (and I'm not vegan or a vegitarian, yet)

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#36 of 50 Old 02-08-2010, 11:25 PM

I think it is great that you are supporting her. She is not going to eat meat even if it is the only thing you ever serve. She is after all a teenager. So just that you are willing to work with her on this will go miles and miles towards making sure she gets the nutrition she needs.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#37 of 50 Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
Enriched rice milk It's good btw, I have no need to ever drink cows milk ever again (and I'm not vegan or a vegitarian, yet)
We have it. I was very happy to see all the B12 and Vitamin D in it! She thinks it tastes sweet - but is palatable. She thinks it will go great in cereal.
#38 of 50 Old 02-09-2010, 12:39 PM

Best of luck to you - I think it is wonderful that you are working with your daughter to come up with a solution that works for both of you. I'm currently transitioning to vegan myself and have a 5 year old who wants to go vegetarian (after being omni), so I'm enjoying all of the links that others have posted, too.
#39 of 50 Old 02-09-2010, 02:40 PM

My favorite book on veganism and children is Joanne Stepaniak's Raising Vegetarian Children.

http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Vegeta.../dp/0658021559

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#40 of 50 Old 02-09-2010, 03:44 PM

It's nice to see that you are trying to support your daughter as she discovers her own set of personal ethics. I was an 11 year old vegetarian and later a teenaged vegan in a family of adamant carnivores. My Dad and step-mother would often serve a meat main dish and I would be left with a pretty nutritionless iceberg lettuce salad for my dinner (luckily my mom was more considerate of my nutritional requirements). When I was that age I did not have the cooking skills or sophistication to shop, plan, cook, and do the necessary research to fend for myself in a way that would really meet the needs of a growing child.
Perhaps you could challenge her to try one new dish with beans/lentils per week. You could make it fun, get vegan cookbooks out of the library together, pick a yummy sounding recipe, cook and clean up together and enjoy the new dish as a family. Some cookbooks for yummy, familiar and easy vegan recipes are "How it all Vegan", anything by the authors of "Vegan with a Vengance"/ "veganomicon"
In the mean time, you could try some foods that have hidden beans/legumes as a part of her every day diet. Some ideas: Ezekeil bread (I like sesame, cinnamon raisin, and that brand's english muffins. You can find it in the freezer section of whole foods and some other grocery stores) is very yummy for toast and sandwiches and high in protien. It is made with whole grains and lentils. She might like soy yogurt, another source of beans. You could also try tempeh bacon (light life brand) BLTs with ezekiel toast, veganaise and dijon mustard (you could have yours with turkey bacon or regular bacon) She might also enjoy smoothies. The possibilities are endless and she could easily make them ( and clean up) herself. She could add silken tofu, peanut butter, even kale. When I was 11 and didn't like tofu that much I loved it deep fried in chinese food, then later liked it in many other forms but that might be a good start. Your whole family might also like "vegan dad" sausages, just google that blog for the recipe. They are pretty easy to make, high in protien and have "hidden" beans. They are also considered yummy by meat eaters. Over time as she grows and her palate gets used to the new flavors I bet she will start to eat all kinds of healthy stuff. She may just need your patient support and encouragement. As she enters her teenage years you could use this as a way to strengthen and maintain your attachment. Trying new foods together, researching recipes and nutrition, being supportive of her definition of who she is.
HTH.
#41 of 50 Old 02-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
She is not Ok with "traces of". She feels that if she has a bit of milk or eggs, she might as well go full throttle (or that it is a slippery slope to full throttle).

She has been a rigid lavo-oct vegetarians. Once upon a time I was vegetarian, but I did not concern myself with things like rennet, gelatin, or whether the sugar was passed through bones. She does. I have also spoken with her about how reducing items may be more realistic than complete avoidance - no dice.

I am not sure whether this desire to completely avoid any traces of animal procducts is because she is young and things are quite black and white (it may have a tsp of milk in a huge batch and is therefore unacceptable) or if it is part of her personality. I do confess the rigidity of her beliefs do concern me, but that may be another post. I am trying to stay positive, and know it is very possible that going vegan, (which from the outside seems a restricted diet) may actually force her to eat a more varied diet to pacify her mothers concerns about nutritional requirements, lol.

We are starting at the beginning and we will see where the journey goes....
i just wanted to point out that "traces of milk products" (or egg etc) just refers to the fact that the product is made in a facility where it may come into contact with these items. it is actually a liability factor because these are common allergens. if the products actually contains milk or eggs as part of the recipe, it will include it in the list of ingredients. if it only lists it on the end, it only means that it was prepared on the same equipment or in the same facility. often, smaller companies can't afford their own equipment, so have their products made at larger factories, or it's a product that is accidently vegan made by a non-veg company... most adult vegans i know (including myself) buy these products without any qualms. maybe if i could choose between two similar products, one without the "traces of" labelling and one with, i might choose without, but it's not an animal rights issue, its more about supporting 100% vegan companies. so yeah, your bread is probably just fine.

i'm glad you're being cautiously supportive... i know it must be hard for you. being vegan at such a young age can be an exhausting endeavour... your food supply is essentially controlled by other people, and it can be hard to learn how to balance your pasionate views with still being social/polite. a lot of young vegans and vegetarians get burnt out just because it is hard to constantly be vigilant about something that is so important to you, while other people seem so oblivious... gosh... it's hard as an adult too, but at least i can retreat into my happy vegan bubble. i'd encourage you to continue to encourage her. even if it's not a cause you personally believe in, a young person showing such dedication and caring for her fellow living creatures can only be a good thing!
#42 of 50 Old 02-16-2010, 12:00 AM

hey! its been a little while. Just wondering how things have been going....

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#43 of 50 Old 02-16-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Things have been going pretty well. She has been a vegan for a bit now, and I think it has had ramifications beyond nutritional.

For one, I think she has learned she does not have to tell everyone she is vegan. Veganism seems to stir a lot of emotions in people, and her food choices are personal, so if she does not feel like discussing it she does not have to. It is helping her to work on boundaries.

Food wise, she is doing great

We have veggie soup with garbanzo beans in the fridge and tofu, broccoli stir fry in the freezer. DD made a mac and cheese (soy cheese, margarine, rice milk) and ate a lot of it yesterday and froze some.

We have done some baking - I am noticing that vegan baked goods seem to have a lot of sugar. She made killer muffins but they had one cup of sugar in them! She brought one to the coffee house the other day to ensure she had a treat while the rest of us were eating doughnuts.

Overall she has been a lot less picky. I think she wants to be vegan more than she wants to be picky. It has been very good for her.

I have not yet asked her to keep a food log to check if she is getting her nutritional requirements. I will, but not for a few weeks. I will let her find her footing with Veganism first.

We have had a few hiccups with finding food. The local grocer does not stock whey free margarine (but one in the city near my DH's work does) and the bread we usually buy has a mystery ingrediant in it that may be whey or may be molassess . I wish labels were more specific! Yes, I can and will call the company.....

Kathy
#44 of 50 Old 02-16-2010, 01:04 PM

That's great Kathy!!

I think that vegan goods are sweeter because the soy/rice milk is also sweetened, so I always cut back the sugar when I use sweetened milks.

And I've also noticed that some people get really emotional and defensive when they find out we are vegan, I'm not sure why that is, but it happens sometimes.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#45 of 50 Old 02-16-2010, 01:18 PM

I'm so glad that the transition is working out so well for you and for her. You're doing great!
#46 of 50 Old 02-16-2010, 07:42 PM

yeah, I have noticed the massive amounts of sugar in the vegan treat recipes I have. but I would rather have that than nasty healthy versions I want a chocolate chip cookie that tastes like a friggin cookie. I am on a diet now so am not baking but I have noticed my sugar intake is just high. my dietition said not to worry about it right now so long as I am losing weight...a little extra sugar isn't going to kill me in light of my very healthy diet.

#47 of 50 Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
We have had a few hiccups with finding food. The local grocer does not stock whey free margarine (but one in the city near my DH's work does) and the bread we usually buy has a mystery ingrediant in it that may be whey or may be molassess . I wish labels were more specific! Yes, I can and will call the company.....
Just FYI, if something happens to be certified "Pareve" then it is dairy-free (it may still have eggs or fish products in so you still have to check the label). Sometimes that helps me with questionable ingredients.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#48 of 50 Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 PM

Also if it has cholesterol in it, it's not vegan. I was surprised to learn this. It's kind of an interesting tidbit

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#49 of 50 Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 PM

I didn't read PP (sorry!) but just my .02...

It's so cool you're open to this!!

I'd just suggest a good, whole foods vitamin supplement for extra insurance. I'm vegan myself, and I know that nutritionally it's important for everyone to have a good variety of different foods - so picky eaters should probably take a vitamin.

Always encourage her to stand up for what she believes in! My parents did not when it came to animal compassion, and it made the whole thing very hard for all of us. And hummus is delicious! Consider buying garbanzo beans in bulk to make hummus from home. You can do different dips with different beans too.
#50 of 50 Old 02-17-2010, 11:50 PM

I also wanted to add how awesome and mature I think your DD is You are very lucky to have such a great DD, she will go far in life because she has strong convictions and she is really working this new lifestyle

And you are a fabulous Mom for being so supportive!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page