gluten free vegan menu ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-12-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HELP! I need some serious idea help... it seems like I make the SAME things over and over, and if i don't have leftovers for lunch - I usually end up not eating. The gluten free world is new to me... the vegan world is more familiar, but I've always been pretty lax about it (I don't actually call myself a vegan irl - i'm avoiding gluten, dairy, eggs, obvious soy (wheat free soy sauce is ok, tofu is not)...

dh would love to be a meat and potatoes guy, 1 son is a seperatist (prefers different foods dont touch)... and i only want to cook 1 meal...

right now i have - and i do change each one up a tad... but whether its green beans or broccoli - sweet potato fries/mashed potatoes/sicilian fries ...its really still the same:

-brown rice pasta in a white wine/cashew cream sauce with asparagus and red onion (i do change up the veggies sometimes but i think it works best with those)
-massaman curry w/ potattoes, broccoli, mushrooms, cashews over brown rice (ill occasionally add shrimp for dh)
-sun burgers (or ill make my own), sweet potato fries, and green beans
-socca crepes or polenta and creamed spinach
-tacos with refried beans and salsa

on the weekends i go out to get at least 1 box of veggie sushi...but i need some new ideas!!!!! please help!

thanks!
anyone have any good recipes
#2 of 10 Old 03-12-2010, 04:23 PM

Hmmmm well, I'm kind of like you, I wouldn't call myself vegan irl, but that is mostly how I eat, so I'm on this board:-D I am also gluten free. We do a lot of curries, stir fries, rice pasta's. What else? Lots of rice/bean dishes. Like I just made a "key west' salad:: 2 cups each of rice and black beans, 1 1/2 cups chopped cilantro, , some chopped onion, dressing of 1/4 c lime juice, 1/2 c olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, some salt and pepper. That is lunch. For dinner tonight I'm making the potato and kale enchiladas from Veganomicon, but I'm substituting corn tortillas for the flour. Basically that is what I do....I make regular vegan or vegitarian meals (like I said, we do occassionally have fish) and I just substitute things for anything that contains wheat....hth!

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#3 of 10 Old 03-12-2010, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This lasagna (made with rice noodles) is good. The pine nut ricotta is also good on pizza (I use www.buckwheatpete.com pita recipe for the crust; it costs money for the recipe, but not much, and for me, it was worth it for a pizza crust recipe).

This macaroni & cheese from Gluten Free Goddess is really good.

Black beans & rice
Chickpea-zucchini fritters (ds likes to dip his in spaghetti sauce)
Stir fry over rice (I use "Coconut Aminos" as my soy sauce)
vegetarian chili over baked potato

Rice pasta with different sauces
dd1's favorite: sauteed garlic and crushed red pepper
my favorite: sauteed garlic, black & green olives, and diced tomato
spaghetti sauce (throw in some mushrooms to liven it up)
mushroom - red wine sauce

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 10 Old 03-12-2010, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And there's veggie soup and black bean soup if you like soups as a change once in a while. And sometimes we do breakfast for dinner (buckwheat waffles and home fries).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 10 Old 03-13-2010, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I love the recipes from this The Gluten-Free Vegan by Susan O'brien. We're not really vegan, but my kids are gluten, dairy, egg free, so a whole bunch of these recipes fit the bill.

#6 of 10 Old 03-13-2010, 07:53 PM

Some things we like:

-rice, corn or quinoa pasta with tomato sauce or "cheeze" sauce or olive oil/garlic/veggies
-quinoa with garlic & onions & roasted veggies
-sweet potato soup, or chili, lentil soup, mixed bean soup (we love soup )
-shepherd's pie (DH has an awesome recipe, it's something like mashed potatoes w/ coconut milk over corn/peas/onions/beans with spices)
-veggie/bean enchiladas
-stir-fried potatoes/mushrooms/onions/kidney beans with polenta
-pizza on GF crust

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#7 of 10 Old 03-14-2010, 08:36 AM

We are gluten free and vegan expect for when DH insists on meat. So some of our meals are:

Lentil soup. Mushrooms make such a lovely broth flavor and add a little dried seaweed strips for nutrients, and of course a bay leaf for that amazing flavor

Beans a rice. Sounds plain, but try different beans, and sub rice with quinoa on occasion. Mung beans are great and we love black eyed peas.

Breakfast for us is GF grains like teff or amaranth. So yummy with berries and maple syrup. And we will switch it up with GF pancakes.

Smoothies!!
#8 of 10 Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 PM

Black bean chilaquile is really good. Imo, it's better without cheese (I never add it), and with rice as the bottom layer instead of tortilla chips.

This three sisters stew recipe is really good too.

I also make a lot of veg*n minestrone and chili.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#9 of 10 Old 03-16-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
Black bean chilaquile is really good. Imo, it's better without cheese (I never add it), and with rice as the bottom layer instead of tortilla chips.

This three sisters stew recipe is really good too.

I also make a lot of veg*n minestrone and chili.
That stew looks amazing!
#10 of 10 Old 03-17-2010, 11:59 PM

i like the following blog, most recipes are vegan, all are gf;
http://meghantelpnerblog.com/recipes/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page