Anyone use chia seeds? recipes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-15-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These things are so healthy but I have no clue what to use them for. Please share.

xoxoxox

#2 of 7 Old 03-15-2010, 01:51 PM

I've never eaten them because i can't find them anywhere around here, and i don't want to buy in bulk before i try them.
I've read recipes where they are added to oatmeal, or smoothies.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#3 of 7 Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 AM

I use chia seeds everyday as I feel they are an important part of my diet and my kids. I make a gel up of 2 1/4 cups water and 1/4 cup chia seeds and wisk together sit for 15 min and whisk again. I keep this gel in the fridge and use whenever I need.

I add it to smoothies, oatmeal (we use amaranth, teff, and other GF grains), baked goods and sometimes put water to drink throughout the day as it boosts energy (the kids don't usually go for this last method though)
#4 of 7 Old 03-17-2010, 08:11 PM

#5 of 7 Old 03-19-2010, 06:58 PM

My two year old loves chia so much, she will eat the gel with nothing else added! When I make it for myself I add a little honey. I also really like it mixed with buckwheat hulls and hemp seeds. I also ate some super delicious raw crackers at a restaurant in Sedona, AZ that were made with just pumpkin seeds, chia and I think a mild jalapeno. Mmmmm...if you have a dehydrator, this would be a great option too!

Mama to 2: 2twins.gif 12/7 and 9/10
#6 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM

I use ground chia seeds in my dd's oatmeal.  I just add some in while the oatmeal is cooking, and even add some in afterwards.  I also add vanilla action whey protein powder, raw milk, and organic blueberries.  She loves it and i know it is very good for her.

I also add chia to pancakes, smoothies, etc.  It is also good mixed in to ground beef for tacos, hamburgers... obviously not vegetarian, but full of omegas!

#7 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 11:58 AM

I make a "pudding with almond milk and chia seeds, then sometimes mix in a little applesause or other fruit puree, and my 13mo loves it with breakfast (she'll either let me feed it to her with a spoon or eat it with her hands - it can be pretty thick so that's messy but not too bad). I improvise with the proportions but something like a spoon for 1/4 cup maybe. I also add it when I remember to my breakfast cereal, but you have to eat it fast if you want added crunch instead of gel!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page