What's cooking veg*ns April 2010 Thread? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 83 Old 04-26-2010, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

Last night was a total disaster - baby was screaming so I turned over the reins to DH halfway thru making VeganDad's Cheezy Chickpea Shepherd's Pie - and he burned the everloving #&%# out of the filling! UGH! So much food waste.

Tonight was ethiopian night - spicy red lentils, collards, and lima & cabbage stew. There was no way I was making injera, so we had it over the mashed potatoes that were supposed to top the pie last night! We just bought 15 lbs of potatoes from the farmer's market, so I think every meal for the next few weeks will incorporate them somehow.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#62 of 83 Old 04-26-2010, 11:11 PM

Tonight we're having lemony roasted potatoes from Veganomicon (there's a potato idea for ya!), greek salad and sauteed beet greens. I had wanted to do the mediterranean lima bean recipe from Veganomicon but I wasn't going to have time to let the beans soak so that will have to wait for another day.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#63 of 83 Old 04-26-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post
Tonight we're having lemony roasted potatoes from Veganomicon (there's a potato idea for ya!), greek salad and sauteed beet greens. I had wanted to do the mediterranean lima bean recipe from Veganomicon but I wasn't going to have time to let the beans soak so that will have to wait for another day.

Cindy
Oh, yeah, those are on the menu for Friday! LOVE those potatoes!!!

The rest of the week's plan:

Tues: Chickpea and Veggie Curry over brown basmati rice. salad
Weds: Either poached eggs or broiled tofu w/ hollandaze sauce, hashbrowns and sauteed greens
Thurs: Black Bean Soup (frozen) and Cornbread
Fri: Broiled tofu, lemony roasted potatoes, broccoli

#64 of 83 Old 04-26-2010, 11:55 PM

Do you have to cook your potatoes way longer? I left mine in for 50 minutes covered then 30 minutes uncovered versus the 35 and 20 the recipe calls for and they still weren't as done as they could be. I'm wondering if it's my oven??

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#65 of 83 Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Do you have to cook your potatoes way longer? I left mine in for 50 minutes covered then 30 minutes uncovered versus the 35 and 20 the recipe calls for and they still weren't as done as they could be. I'm wondering if it's my oven??
Yeah, I've seen this problem mentioned on other forums, too - they need to cook at least an hour in my experience and sometimes longer. They're worth it though!

#66 of 83 Old 04-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post
I did a lime-infused cashew cream, lettuce, toasted pumpkin seeds and avocado.
All of it looks delicious, Catnip! but the cashew cream most definitely intrigued me even further!! do you just 'butter' the cashews add lime and seasonings??

thanks for sharing! you've given me plenty to make this week!

(and my family, i know, already appreciates it!)
i.

ilse, happy mama to Emma and Max
:

#67 of 83 Old 04-27-2010, 07:35 PM

I've got southwestern vegetable soup simmering on the stove on what will hopefully be one of our last rainy days. Sourdough bread to go with.

Cindy

#68 of 83 Old 04-28-2010, 01:24 PM

We had a thai style curry (using carrots, yukon golds, onion, mushrooms and fresh local asparagus!) over brown basmati last night.

#69 of 83 Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 PM

My computer had decided to crash...so I haven't posted

Keeta-We're huge fans of buying 50, yes 50LB bag of potatoes from the farmers market..and we can usually get through them with maybe 3 going bad

I'll post what we've ate since Fri

Fri was-I worked so dh made a pasta casserole w soy cheese, which was delicious but I had such a headache I only got a few bites in

Sat was-Both dh and I worked so it was red lentil/carrot/coconut soup in the slowcooker w fresh bread and a corn/avocado/tomato salad, carrot and cuke slices

Sun was-dh got the craving for soy sausages so we had those on buns, with homemade oven baked french fries, fresh picked fiddle heads sauteed with garlic and portabello mushrooms, and carrot sticks

Mon was-ds's choice so we made alphabet soup w kidney beans

Tues was-Jambalya w the leftover kidney beans and the soy sausages. With carrot sticks, cukes, and brocoli and hummus

Wed-pasta with leftover tomato sauce from Mon and Tues meal, with eggplant and hemp seeds prob

Thurs-Ds has been asking for mashed potatoes-so we're having lentil loaf, wasabi mashed potatoes, brocoli, mushroom gravy(in the freezer)

Fri-Prob lentil soup w the leftover lentils in the slow cooker

Sat-Im unsure, my fam is coming for Maple Fest in town...they want take out, I don't want to spend money on take out

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#70 of 83 Old 04-28-2010, 03:05 PM

The plan is:

Wed- Tofu of some sort, green beans & rice (or maybe mashed potatoes instead, but DS2 doesn't like them )

Thur- Rice & egg pie with broccoli & fresh fruit

Fri- I am not cooking & the dishes will be all packed, so probably pizza eaten right out of the box We are moving Saturday morning!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#71 of 83 Old 04-28-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Is the rice and egg pie gluten free? If so can I have the recipe for it?

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#72 of 83 Old 04-28-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
Is the rice and egg pie gluten free? If so can I have the recipe for it?
It was supposed to be the Asparagus Quiche with Brown Rice Crust from the Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, but I don't follow recipes well. So this is basically what I did last time I made it:

2 cups hot cooked brown rice
veggies of your choice chopped (onion, broc, asparagus, mushroom etc...)
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup milk
5 eggs
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
seasoning of your choice
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Press rice into a lightly oiled 10 inch pie plate. Place veggies evenly over the top of the rice. Mix cheddar cheese, milk, eggs, nut yeast & seasonings in a bowl. Pour mixture over the top of veggies being sure that all the rice is covered by egg. Top with parm cheese & bake 40 minutes at 375 F. Let sit for 10 min before cutting.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#73 of 83 Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Oooooh that sounds really good. Going to have to put that on the meal plan for next week.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#74 of 83 Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 PM

Tonight we had Potato-Spinach Squares (out of Vegan Brunch) - they were really good! I forget about that cookbook a lot, but it has some really tasty stuff in there. We also had poached eggs with (ironically vegan) Hollandaze sauce (out of 1000 Vegan Recipes). My 3-yr-old was so in love with the sauce, he was licking the food processor bowl (blade removed)! It was a tasty meal, I would definitely make it again.

I would have done broiled tofu instead of eggs, but I'm trying not to shop for the week and I'm saving my tofu for General Tao's Tofu.

#75 of 83 Old 04-28-2010, 11:39 PM

Tonight we're having cumin life tofu (thanks to this thread!) over brown rice and sweet corn on the cob - the first of the season.

Cindy

#76 of 83 Old 04-29-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Tonight we had Potato-Spinach Squares (out of Vegan Brunch) - they were really good! I forget about that cookbook a lot, but it has some really tasty stuff in there. We also had poached eggs with (ironically vegan) Hollandaze sauce (out of 1000 Vegan Recipes). My 3-yr-old was so in love with the sauce, he was licking the food processor bowl (blade removed)! It was a tasty meal, I would definitely make it again.

I would have done broiled tofu instead of eggs, but I'm trying not to shop for the week and I'm saving my tofu for General Tao's Tofu.
That sounds really good. I had no idea you could make vegan Hollandaise--I'll have to look into that.

We had buffalo tofu nuggets tonight and last night, with carrots and cucumber and homemade ranch and blue cheese dips. Last night we had garlic buns with it, and tonight we had breadcrumb pancakes. DD had pancakes, cucumber, and gouda--no buffalo tofu for her

Astrea, mama to my sweet toddler Willow
#77 of 83 Old 04-29-2010, 11:46 PM

Tonight we made the General Tao's Tofu - it was REALLY good. I followed the advice of the commenters and doubled the sauce recipe but didn't double the sugar and it was still sweet and tasty!

#78 of 83 Old 04-30-2010, 12:20 AM

I'm going to try the General Tao's chicken next week. Sounds good!

Tonight we had a big salad with my homemade herb dressing and trader joe's pizza. No real cooking on my part.

Cindy

#79 of 83 Old 04-30-2010, 01:18 PM

Jumping back in here after not posting for a while!

Yesterday we made an amazing dinner - veggie "chicken" and dumplings. We used fake chicken, but it totally didn't need it. Next time I think I'd just put in a little tofu or tempeh or perhaps some beans instead. It was seriously delicious, and I can't wait to eat the tiny bit that's left after we totally overate last night!

Tonight is homemade pizza. Lately I've been loading it up with veggies (broccoli, spinach, peppers) and Field Roast sausages (Italian and/or Apple Sage) and skipping the cheese. With the fabulous Mama Lil's peppers sprinkled on top, it's delicious! I'm seriously loving those peppers right now. They add just the right kick to pizza or pasta, and I even love them with bread or crackers and cheese (though I've really been trying to minimize our dairy eating).

For the weekend:

Black bean and sweet potato enchiladas with some sort of greens on the side

White bean and wilted greens soup. I found some good-looking mustard greens at the store, and I have some kale from the garden to use up.
#80 of 83 Old 04-30-2010, 03:06 PM

We're having sushi bowls tonight: quinoa with avocado, sunflower sprouts, shredded cucumber, nori pieces with a ginger sauce.

Cindy

#81 of 83 Old 05-01-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
We're having sushi bowls tonight: quinoa with avocado, sunflower sprouts, shredded cucumber, nori pieces with a ginger sauce.

Cindy
My family loves sushi. This sounds so good.

wild.gif
#82 of 83 Old 05-02-2010, 12:35 AM

I forgot - the sushi bowls also had green onion and shredded kale. It was yummy!

Cindy

#83 of 83 Old 05-02-2010, 10:39 AM

Friday night we had really yummy pasta dinner: brown rice penne with cashew cheese, tons of sun-dried tomatoes and asparagus. It was sooo good! We had it with salad.

Last night we were all uninspired so we had nachos with refried black beans (canned), daiya cheddar and then salsa and fresh guacamole at the table, and salad. I honestly couldn't believe how much of it my DS1 ate! He must have had 4 helpings of nachos.

So I'm glad he and DH really like the Daiya cheese! Me, I just have a thing with the non-dairy cheese - the smell or something just skeeves me out every time. So while it melts great and is the best tasting of what's out there, I can't honestly say that I would look forward to eating it ever. Maybe if it wasn't so prominently featured (like say, mixed into a casserole or something) I could deal with it better. Gotta dig out the uncheese cookbook, I always seem to deal better with the homemade cheeses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page