Looking for mouth-wateringly delicious (yet unspicy) vegan meal ideas! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-27-2010, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

My poor DH has been having a wee bit of trouble with sporadic stomach problems over the past few months. He got a gastroscope exam done 2 weeks ago and the preliminary results indicated that he has some inflammation. The doc was delighted that he is dairy & meat free as she was going to recommend cutting waay back on those, but (and here is the bit that is hard for him....) she recommended cutting out (or at least way back on) all spicy foods. DH is sad about that, he loves his spicy foods, perhaps a little too much, he would eat jalapenos by the jar if he could!

Still with me? Don't worry I'm not looking for medical advice, what I'm looking for is if any of you could recommend me some really delicious, mouth-wateringly wonderful vegan meals to cook for him. The poor guy is in his 2nd week of non-spicey foods and he is feeling very sorry for himself I think he burnt off all his taste-buds years ago, so everything is tasting a bit bland to him. So I'd like to make some yummy meals for him to re-kickstart those tastebuds!

He can have mild curries, and garam masala, cumin, the usual spices, but no chilies or hot curries. All of his favourite meals are way too hot for me, and all of my favs are too mild for him (he usually adds jalapenos to them at the table)

I have a lot of vegan cookbooks looking at me here (perhaps too many, I don't know where to start), so if anyone can recommend me some recipes, I'd be very grateful! I am starting to trawl through them for ideas, but tried & tested favourites are always a good start! I have no crockpot, so stove-top or oven dishes would be best.

Thank you all very kindly

lady.gifLittlepixie Nov'06 & jog.gif our little monkey Jan'11

#2 of 6 Old 04-27-2010, 06:18 PM

One meal that I always make whenever we have guests (two variations of the same basic meal) happens to be vegan, even though I'm ovo-lacto and often cooking for omnis. I always get compliments on it. It's basically a pasta/green veggie/protein dish. I'll give recipe for both...

Orechiette with Roasted Broccoli and Walnuts
12 oz orechiette (I've substituted penne too)
1.5 lb broccoli florettes
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Olive oil
Salt
Garlic
Pepper

Toss broccoli and walnuts with olive oil to coat, salt, garlic, and pepper, then spread on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven. Cook pasta according to package directions, and reserve some of the water when you drain. Add broccoli/walnut mixture to pasta and enough reserved pasta water to make it not dry. Add more salt/pepper if needed.

The other variation...

Penne with Spinach and Canellini Beans
3 cups penne
1 can canellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 6-oz bag fresh baby spinach
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil
Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes if allowed

Cook penne according to package directions. Heat garlic in oil then add beans as soon as garlic becomes fragrant. Add some salt and red pepper flakes. After a few minutes, begin adding spinach a bit at a time, allowing each layer to wilt before the next addition. When the pasta is done, add the spinach bean/mixture and stir. If it seems dry, you can add some more oil or reserved pasta water. Add more salt and pepper to taste.

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
#3 of 6 Old 04-27-2010, 08:59 PM

Roasted veggies

BBQ whatever (BBQ beans, or veggies, or tofu) -- I think the acidity of the vinegar might help satisfy the "spicy" craving.

Sorry I'm not a whole lot of help, I'm a spice-aholic...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 6 Old 04-27-2010, 11:51 PM

One of dp's favorite dishes is vegan shepard's pie.

Wash & peel 4-5 russet potatoes; cook and mash, adding lots of olive oil or earth balance and soy milk to make creamy, and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder

in a large skillet, heat olive oil over med. and add 1 med. yellow onion (chopped) and 5 cloves garlic (minced). When onions are translucent add: carrots, celery, broccoli, mushrooms, seitan, and peas (you can really add anything you want, but that's what I usually do). Season with some cumin, salt, and pepper, and cook until veggies start to wilt. Pour in 1 c. veggie broth, 1/2 c. soymilk, 1 tsp of kuzu starch (or cornstarch), and 1 tsp of flour. Stir and allow mix to boil. Add more starch & flour if sauce doesn't thicken enough. Keep stirring until veggies are cooked.

Pour veggies into a baking dish and then top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle the top with nutritional yeast. Pop it in the oven, uncovered, at 400' for 10-15 min. Et voilà!
#5 of 6 Old 04-28-2010, 02:57 AM

oh-my-god vegan alfredo

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#6 of 6 Old 04-28-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Penne with Spinach and Canellini Beans
3 cups penne
1 can canellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 6-oz bag fresh baby spinach
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil
Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes if allowed

Cook penne according to package directions. Heat garlic in oil then add beans as soon as garlic becomes fragrant. Add some salt and red pepper flakes. After a few minutes, begin adding spinach a bit at a time, allowing each layer to wilt before the next addition. When the pasta is done, add the spinach bean/mixture and stir. If it seems dry, you can add some more oil or reserved pasta water. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
this! but add tomato juice and a little sugar or agave as well as more greens like kale or chard, mustard greens even. also add field roast vegan sausages - soooooo goood!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page