pls help with protein sources - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 05-16-2010, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are considering going back to vegetarian. We started eating fish and chicken b/c I was having a hard time finding enough protein sources but I would like to give it another go.
We are gluten-free and dairy free. I also cannot eat any soy products.
So, aside from legumes and nuts what else can I be using as protein sources?
#2 of 24 Old 05-16-2010, 04:01 PM

Eggs and quinoa. Honestly, I found it really hard to get enough protein being veg and it led to some health issues.
#3 of 24 Old 05-16-2010, 04:21 PM

Vegetarian without dairy or soy does limit your protein choices. Nuts, legumes, eggs, and quinoa are the only things I can think of, too.
#4 of 24 Old 05-16-2010, 04:47 PM

What about buckwheat?
#5 of 24 Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 PM

We eat VERY little soy in our house. Tofu MAYBE once a week to once every two weeks..and its mostly b/c dc like it

We're gluten free for the most part as well. And Im vegan where dc eat eggs. BUT noone in the house does dairy

Meals over the past few days

-Brown rice and pinto bean salad w tomatoes/avocado/black olives/orange peppers
-Noodle salad(whatever gluten free noodles you want) w chickpeas, sunflower seeds, mustard greens, onion, orange peppers, radish, broccoli stems, and a peanut butter sesame oil sauce...3 types of protein in one meal

The possibilies are really endless!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#6 of 24 Old 05-16-2010, 08:17 PM

I find that if I can get a good protein breakfast, I start the day well.

Here is my usual lately:

2 cups spinach - 10.70 grams protein
2 tablespoons chia seeds - 4 grams protein
2 tablespoons brewers yeast - 16 grams protein
1 banana - 1.22 g protein (yeah not much but I thought I would share anyway)
2 cups blueberries - 2 g protein
1/4 cup soaked plump raw almonds - 7.62 grams protein
1-2 cups nettle infusion for added minerals, especially calcium

Blend well and enjoy a high protein -very usable source breakfast!
I switch the greens and nuts and seeds up for a variation in my diet.

Care to total the grams of protein here:
41.54!!!!!
Wait that sounds too high, but that is what the charts say is in those foods.
This is like eating 2 burgers right?
#7 of 24 Old 05-17-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, eggs, I forgot to add to my list. And we eat quinoa, I just didn't know I could call it a protein source.
Not much else though it looks like.
We may need to reconsider. The reason I started eating meat was b/c I was having a hard time with protein sources. Maybe we might do fish too.
#8 of 24 Old 05-17-2010, 12:21 PM

Eh, we get 90% of our protein from beans & nuts. You can totally do it, if you really want to.
#9 of 24 Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 PM

How much protein do you think you need? Most westerners get far more protein than is required, which overtaxes their organs and is not healthful. Honestly if you're intaking sufficient calories from a wide variety of sources, it's hard *not* to get enough protein! Have you done an actual nutritional analysis of what you were eating? I'll bet you were getting more protein than you think (remember that protein is in everything, from broccoli to bananas, and it adds up!)

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#10 of 24 Old 05-17-2010, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I find beans, nuts and seeds to be extremely versatile. For example, I just made a living caesar salad dressing with cashews and pine nuts. Lentils can be used to make just about anything. I've used them to make soup, dal, patties, etc. I've used black beans to make tortilla lasagna, burritos, etc. I use peanut butter to make a peanut sauce and I've also added it to soups. I've made Garbanzo rollups, soup, casseroles, etc. with garbanzo beans. You can make a salad and add virtually any nut, bean or seed to it. And smoothies totally rock when it comes to protein.

I think the trick for me was finding a reliable source for recipes. I found 2 cookbook authors that I really like: Dreena Burton and Jennifer Raymond. Other people like different authors. I suggest finding the one(s) that work for you. You can easily get enough protein on a vegetarian diet without using soy.

Quinoa is also versatile. I use it for soups, casseroles, anywhere in place of rice, etc. One of my favorite Dreena Burton dishes is a casserole consisting of a layer of quinoa, followed by a layer of hummus and topped with a layer of roasted veggies. Delicious simplicity and it packs a protein punch!
#11 of 24 Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I find that if I can get a good protein breakfast, I start the day well.

Here is my usual lately:

2 cups spinach - 10.70 grams protein
2 tablespoons chia seeds - 4 grams protein
2 tablespoons brewers yeast - 16 grams protein
1 banana - 1.22 g protein (yeah not much but I thought I would share anyway)
2 cups blueberries - 2 g protein
1/4 cup soaked plump raw almonds - 7.62 grams protein
1-2 cups nettle infusion for added minerals, especially calcium

Blend well and enjoy a high protein -very usable source breakfast!
I switch the greens and nuts and seeds up for a variation in my diet.

Care to total the grams of protein here:
41.54!!!!!
Wait that sounds too high, but that is what the charts say is in those foods.
This is like eating 2 burgers right?
That sounds high. The count I have for 1C raw spinach is 1g
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2626/2
I think you used the data for 1C boiled spinach, which is very compact, several cups of raw. Unless you did use cooked spinach in your smoothie
Still, that is a good serving of protein for breakfast!
#12 of 24 Old 05-18-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiewitchie View Post
That sounds high. The count I have for 1C raw spinach is 1g
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2626/2
I think you used the data for 1C boiled spinach, which is very compact, several cups of raw. Unless you did use cooked spinach in your smoothie
Still, that is a good serving of protein for breakfast!
Thank you for clarifying that. I knew I read something wrong. That is what I get for typing and researching with nursing a wiggly 9 month old.
#13 of 24 Old 05-18-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post
One of my favorite Dreena Burton dishes is a casserole consisting of a layer of quinoa, followed by a layer of hummus and topped with a layer of roasted veggies. Delicious simplicity and it packs a protein punch!
This sounds delicious! Recipe please?

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
#14 of 24 Old 05-18-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I have Dreena Burton's Vive le Vegan. I haven't looked at it in forever. Off to pull it out of the cupboard.
#15 of 24 Old 05-18-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelette View Post
Oh, I have Dreena Burton's Vive le Vegan. I haven't looked at it in forever. Off to pull it out of the cupboard.
Here is the link to her blog: http://vivelevegan.blogspot.com/

She's also on FaceBook. I've emailed her regarding a specific recipe and she got back to me fairly quickly. I found her to be extremely helpful. I love her variety and her healthy ingredients--and the fact that she is a mom cooking for little ones.

I don't know what you've made from Vive, but some of my favorite recipes from that book are Broccoli-Mushroom-Walnut Phyllo Pie (BIG hit with hubby), Chipotle Veggie-Bean Burritos (another big hit with hubby and something I make routinely for company), Hummus Tortilla Pizzas, Pumpkin Seed-Coated Lentil Patties, Sunflower-Lentil Pie and Sunny Southwestern Squash Pizzas.

I also love her book Eat, Drink & be Vegan.
#16 of 24 Old 05-18-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SollysMom View Post
This sounds delicious! Recipe please?
Layer 1: Start with a lightly oiled 8"X12" pan. 2 1/2-3 cups cooked Quinoa (I like 3 cups; I think the more the merrier.)

Layer 2: 2 cups Hummus, either homemade or store bought (Be careful not to break up the quinoa layer when spreading the hummus.)

Layer 3: 5 1/2-6 cups Roasted Veggies. The actual recipe calls for fennel bulb, zucchini, and red or yellow bell pepper; however, it also suggests substitutions such as mushrooms, blanched broccoli, thinly sliced eggplant, kalamata olives. My husband and I have added onions and we've also used whatever bell peppers we have on hand, mostly green.

To roast the veggies, toss them with 2 TBS Olive oil, 2 tsp balsamic Vinegar, 1/4 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake at 450 for 15-18 minutes.

After the casserole is assembled, bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. When it is done cooking, drizzle with Olive Oil. You may also sprinkle with herbs such as parsley or basil.
#17 of 24 Old 05-18-2010, 04:00 PM

Thank you

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
#18 of 24 Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 PM

All grains, beans, nuts and sprouts are sources of protein. If you eat a lot of rice & beans (which are very versatile!) you are probably getting enough protein.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#19 of 24 Old 05-25-2010, 02:16 PM

Ok, I'm new to completely vegetarian and vegan eating, but have considered myself to be semi-veg for some time. So now I want to (well, need to really) cut out meat completely...I'm cool with eating lots of nuts and beans BUT I have always heard that to make a complete protein it needs to be paired with a source of animal protein, like cheese. Is this true?
Thanks for any help.

Krista, crafty blogging mama to four
#20 of 24 Old 05-25-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachet View Post
I'm cool with eating lots of nuts and beans BUT I have always heard that to make a complete protein it needs to be paired with a source of animal protein, like cheese. Is this true?
Nope. The old thinking was that you needed a "complete protein" all in one meal, but I've never heard anyone claim that you need an animal protein for it to be complete. And there are veggie proteins that are complete, like buckwheat, soy, amaranth, etc.

I think most experts have come to believe that if you eat a variety of healthy foods you will do fine. Wikipedia has a pretty straightforward explanation.
#21 of 24 Old 05-25-2010, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the info! I should have said an animal protein "or similar", which I imagine would include nuts and seeds? I have some reading to do! I also am glad to know the complete proteins don't need to happen in a single meal...seems a lot more doable that way.

Krista, crafty blogging mama to four
#22 of 24 Old 05-26-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Layer 1: Start with a lightly oiled 8"X12" pan. 2 1/2-3 cups cooked Quinoa (I like 3 cups; I think the more the merrier.)

Layer 2: 2 cups Hummus, either homemade or store bought (Be careful not to break up the quinoa layer when spreading the hummus.)

Layer 3: 5 1/2-6 cups Roasted Veggies. The actual recipe calls for fennel bulb, zucchini, and red or yellow bell pepper; however, it also suggests substitutions such as mushrooms, blanched broccoli, thinly sliced eggplant, kalamata olives. My husband and I have added onions and we've also used whatever bell peppers we have on hand, mostly green.

To roast the veggies, toss them with 2 TBS Olive oil, 2 tsp balsamic Vinegar, 1/4 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake at 450 for 15-18 minutes.

After the casserole is assembled, bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. When it is done cooking, drizzle with Olive Oil. You may also sprinkle with herbs such as parsley or basil.
OT - what does hummus taste like when baked? I have never tried that recipe before because I was a little wary that it would get dried out.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#23 of 24 Old 05-26-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
OT - what does hummus taste like when baked? I have never tried that recipe before because I was a little wary that it would get dried out.
I've never had it dry out before. It's actually really good. It's one of my favorite "throw something together" easy recipes. You should definitely try it.

ETA I also like it for its versatility. You can literally use whatever veggies you have on hand.
#24 of 24 Old 05-26-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I've never had it dry out before. It's actually really good. It's one of my favorite "throw something together" easy recipes. You should definitely try it.

ETA I also like it for its versatility. You can literally use whatever veggies you have on hand.
Thanks! I'll have to try it.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page