OMG the new cauldron falafel - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-29-2010, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
every once in a while I treat myself to cauldrons falafel and they have changed their recipe soo much better too the point the kids love them (they didn't like them before) now the problem with this is it is really expensive to buy enough for 5 of us so I'd love to make something similar a nd veganise it (honey to agave no probs I think) these are the ingredients

chickpeas (46%)
bulghir wheat
Morocan paste (12%)[apricots (apricots, riceflour) dates,red wine,vinegar, sunflower oil,spices (paprika, cinnamon, cumin,ginger, black pepper),honey,garlic puree,cornflour, salt, chili puree, coriander, sugar]
rice starch
rusk
coriander
apricots(4%)
onion
wheat flour
cumin
salt
chili
garlic puree

i unlike other falafel these are very smooth and moist no need for any dips whatsoever. I would like to replace the honey with agave and dont' want to use the wine at all do you think that will affect the flavour a lot? and with the paste how much per herb/spice would you use?

Tia!

photoblogging crafty Mama to 3 boys (8/04 and twins 08/07)
#2 of 7 Old 05-29-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

looks like waitrose does something similar
Ingredients

Organic chickpeas (39%), organic onion, organic bulghur wheat (14%), Moroccan paste (12%), organic apricots (4%), organic rice starch, organic wheat flour, organic coriander, organic sunflower oil, organic coriander powder, organic cumin, sea salt, organic garlic puree, organic chilli.
Moroccan paste contains water, organic honey, organic apricots (11%), organic dates, organic red wine vinegar, organic sunflower oil, organic coriander leaf, organic apricot juice (2%), organic chilli puree, organic cornflour, organic garlic puree, organic sugar, salt, organic black pepper, organic cinnamon, organic cumin, organic ginger, organic paprika, organic rice flour.
Organic chilli contains organic chilli, organic paprika.

#3 of 7 Old 05-29-2010, 03:46 PM

Where do you buy them?
#4 of 7 Old 05-30-2010, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

sainsbury's has them but I guess tesco and somerfields would too. I only have sainsburies near me

#5 of 7 Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 PM

We tried them and love them! I buy them and keep them in the freezer. We have them weekly for lunch. Good for those days when I have no idea what to make.
#6 of 7 Old 11-14-2013, 10:51 AM

OMG indeed! After encouraging my daughter to try new foods, she's just spat out her Cauldron Falafel and insisted it cut her mouth... I told her not to be silly but after a closer look, it turned out to be a sharp piece of plastic!!

#7 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 AM

Not too hard to make. Go to your local library and get a recipe book, or go  look through these recipes:

http://www.recipesource.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?search_string=falafel&filter=off&dir=.%2Fmunchies%2Fappetizers

During Lent, I'll make a bunch on the weekends in batches.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page