Mothering Forum banner

Do I have to care about complete protein, or is protein all the same?

597 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Sayward 
#1 ·
People keep saying how great a source of protein quinoa is, so I bought it. But, when I compare the grams of protein and the serving size, I would get more protein eating normal pasta or oatmeal. Then I read it was great because it is a complete protein, but what is the difference? And how can I possibly tally how much protein I am getting if packages don't list whether they are "complete" or not (I'm pregnant so I need to make sure I am getting enough)? Another person told me that rice and beans are not a complete protein unless it is brown rice.

So is this whole complete protein thing something I need to worry about, or can I just tally the amounts of protein I am getting in all the foods I eat?

#2 ·
Here is a great article that will help answer your questions: http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives...t-go-away.html

Short story: If you are eating a wide variety of foods you do not have to worry about anything other than getting *enough* protein. Some people like complete protein foods (quinoa, soy, hemp, amaranth, oats, spirulina) for added security, but they are by no means necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.