Ideas for Vegan desserts that taste good - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that title sounds a little rude. I don't mean to offend. There are so many vegan desserts that taste like dirt or bark, but I have had some that are delicious and taste like any other rich dessert. I'm really looking for some ideas and recipes. Cakes, cookies, muffins, pies -- anything really. Especially chocolate things. I have a sweet tooth and am afraid that I'll end up eating something non-vegan just to satisfy it (all I have is the dairy-free chocolate from the grocery store). I also want something that my (non-vegan) kids could enjoy too. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 06-07-2010, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
chocolate covered strawberries? Mango sorbet? Soy-milk icecream or milkshakes?

It's hard to think of something really rich; but I defintiely think you can find something tasty!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#3 of 23 Old 06-07-2010, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
nvm

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
#4 of 23 Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World has a lot of great recipes. My favorite is the chocolate peanut butter bombs (basic chocolate cupcake with peanut butter filling/frosting). So yummy.

A lot of libraries carry it, if you aren't looking to buy another cookbook right now.

There is a blog that went with it. It hasn't been updated in a few years, and it is mostly just pictures of really gorgeous cupcakes made with recipes from the book, but there are also a few yummy recipes to be found in it.
#5 of 23 Old 06-08-2010, 12:25 AM

Here's another vegan dessert blog to check out: http://thatsonetoughcookie.com/

Also there are a lot of great recipes in The Joy of Vegan Baking.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#6 of 23 Old 06-08-2010, 02:01 AM

This pecan torte with chocolate ganache is suuuuper rich and crazy delicious. It also happens to be raw!

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#7 of 23 Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 AM

The ice creams in our very own Cathe Olsen's [I]Lick It[I] are amazing. A caveat, though - I get much better textures by increasing the sugar by a quarter cup over what the recipes call for.
#8 of 23 Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 AM

There's a chocolate-mousse cake in the first millennium cookbook that's amazing, with a raspberry sauce. Vegan and amazing, I've made it a lot and everyone loves it.
The vegan cupcake book is really good too.

There are a lot of vegan fruit tarts out there too that are easily done - I can't think of a good crust I've used but once you find one you like you can top with all kinds of things.
#9 of 23 Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 AM

I second Joy of Vegan Baking. Sooooo yummy!!! Though one of my favorite vegan dessert recipes is probably the easy vegan chocolate cake (with a bit mroe cocoa added) and the coconut pecan frosting from vegweb.com

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6433.0

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6494.0

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#10 of 23 Old 06-08-2010, 11:51 AM

Chocolate Crazy Cake
A friend of mine is on a quest for the best chocolate cake in the world. It is an arduous quest since it requires so much eating of chocolate but she perseveres. I made chocolate crazy cake and she said it was a contender. She couldn't believe there were no eggs or milk in it because it was so rich. I'm not vegan but my daughter is allergic to milk and eggs so I've explored a lot of recipes like this. You can't make a super huge cake with this recipe because it will fall but it is perfect for cupcakes. All of my little nieces and nephews love this recipe too. (none of them are vegan or quite so allergy prone either.)
#11 of 23 Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 PM

It's a shame that people don't know how to make decent vegan desserts. It gives us vegans who enjoy cooking a bad name.

Vegan chocoalte cheesecake from the The Joys of Cooking.
6 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer (equivalent to 4 eggs)
1/2 cup water
1 cup nondairy semisweet chips (I used WF dark chocolate chunks)
24 ounces nondairy cream cheese, at room temp (I used Tofutti)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cookie crust
(1 cup crumbled or crushed vegan cookies, 1/4 cup nondairy butter, melted - mix together and press into a 9-inch lightly-oiled springform pan)

Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly oil a 9-inch springform pan.
In the small bowl of your food processor, whip the egg replacer and water together until it is thick and creamy (you may also use an electric hand mixer). Set aside.

Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or double boiler.

In the large bowl of your food processor (or electric mixer), beat together the cream cheese, sugar and egg replacer mixture at medium speed until smooth and fluffy. You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla and blend thoroughly.

Bake the cheesecake for 50 minutes until the center barely jiggles when the pan is tapped. Remove from oven and cool completely (about one hour). Transfer to serving plate, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours - better if you can chill overnight.

Pies are soooo easy to veganize. Instead of using butter cut the flour with Earth Balance instead for the pie crusts. Roll it out. Add the fruit you want. Add a bit of sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cover it with top crust and bake it in the oven.
#12 of 23 Old 06-08-2010, 06:07 PM

Linkie to an old thread with killer vegan choc cake recipes
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=609299

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#13 of 23 Old 06-09-2010, 09:02 AM

How about chocolate chip cookies? These are super easy, and so completely delicious. We make them far more than we should admit around here:

Dreena's Homestyle Chocolate Chip Cookies

mama to four
eliza jane 7.07 :: henry cale 8.07 :: naomi penn 7.09 :: simon otto 12.11

#14 of 23 Old 06-10-2010, 01:25 PM

We are not really in to vegan cakes. I don't ever think the texture is great.

However I make THE best pies with silken tofu, cookies with egg replacer, lots of different bar type things, pudding with coconut milk, ice cream etc.

I LOVE sticky rice with coconut and mango, any kind of rice/tapioca pudding my kids love. Chocolate is great with coconut milk.....

fruit crisps are a favorite, or fruit tarts. You can use non hyd shortening/earth balance butter sticks.

truffles with coconut milk instead of cream.

summer pu dding is fabulous!!! Take old bread, cut it in to thick slices, and layer tightly in a soufle dish, then top with a layer of stewed berries, then another layer of bread......stack about 4 layers then cover with plastic wrap and a plate weighed down. NExt day unmold and nit looks so pretty.

Really there are so many options. without eggs i really don't love cake type things but that's just me. I don't like to try to hard to make the impossible when there are so many other things to eat, so i just don't make vegan cake.
#15 of 23 Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well, this is completely making my mouth water. Thank you for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganbaby View Post
It's a shame that people don't know how to make decent vegan desserts. It gives us vegans who enjoy cooking a bad name.
This is exactly what I was thinking. And vegan meals in general. It's so easy to make something delicious but when non-vegans try something that is just not good they assume all vegan meals and desserts will taste that way.
#16 of 23 Old 08-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Banned

I think ice cream is a very delicious and mouth watering dessert. so enjoy it.
#17 of 23 Old 08-17-2010, 08:10 PM

These! http://theppk.com/blog/2009/09/16/me...nickerdoodles/ They are fabulous and in my experience universally liked by non-vegans that try them.

Wife and mama to one awesome boy. love.gif
#18 of 23 Old 08-18-2010, 02:24 AM

This is HANDS DOWN the best Banana Bread I've ever had. It takes about double the cook time it mentions for me though. I LOVE it with dark choc chips and 4 extra ripe bananas rather than 3. And I only use 1TB of oil (and don't add anything extra for the remainder of the oil it calls for). http://naturalpapa.com/food/recipe/r...na-bread-ever/

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#19 of 23 Old 08-19-2010, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Best chocolate vegan dessert I've had: http://gliving.com/blackforest-chocolate-cheesecake-2/

I prefer to make raw vegan desserts than cooked ones, simply because the raw ones use whole food, unadulterated ingredients... and they just taste better!

Here's where I go for inspiration: rawmazing.com & sweetlyraw.com

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#20 of 23 Old 08-19-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masel View Post
Chocolate Crazy Cake
A friend of mine is on a quest for the best chocolate cake in the world. It is an arduous quest since it requires so much eating of chocolate but she perseveres. I made chocolate crazy cake and she said it was a contender. She couldn't believe there were no eggs or milk in it because it was so rich. I'm not vegan but my daughter is allergic to milk and eggs so I've explored a lot of recipes like this. You can't make a super huge cake with this recipe because it will fall but it is perfect for cupcakes. All of my little nieces and nephews love this recipe too. (none of them are vegan or quite so allergy prone either.)
I've had no problems making full sized layer cakes with that recipe- here's my proof- http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/j...uploadcake.jpg
That cake served 36 people.
#21 of 23 Old 08-19-2010, 04:05 PM

Vegan Key Lime Pie: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/deser...keylimepie.htm

I made it when I was totally dairy free while nursing DS. My carnivore DH (who will try veg*n dishes but prefers the other stuff) LOVED it.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#22 of 23 Old 08-19-2010, 10:05 PM

There's no shortage of wonderful vegan baked delights! Even though I eat eggs and dairy again, I still bake only vegan desserts.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#23 of 23 Old 08-22-2010, 11:19 PM

Here is a recipe for a quick chocolate pudding!

-1 avocado
-1/2 banana
-1 Tbsp coconut oil
-1/4 c. agave syrup
-1/4 c. cocoa powder
-1/2 tsp vanilla

Blend it all together in the food processor! And yum!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page