are your kids vegetarians? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-19-2010, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am just wondering if you are vegan/vegetarian are your children as well? would you be upset if they ate meat?

i mean no offense in any way i was really just pondering it

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#2 of 24 Old 06-19-2010, 10:00 PM

My children are l/o veg. They eat much more dairy than I do. I eat eggs and sometimes dairy but am trying to eliminate dairy. My husband is carnivorous but eats l/o veg at home. I do not get upset when he eats meat. One day I'm sure my children will want to try meat and may decide to become meat eaters.
#3 of 24 Old 06-19-2010, 11:40 PM

My dh and I eat a vegan diet. So do our kids.

When they are old enough to cook for themselves and buy their own groceries I will be fine if they make the choice to eat meat, dairy or eggs. It's their choice then.

Mama to 3 lovely home learning, nature loving girls read.gif(10), fairy.gif(7), fly-by-nursing1.gif (3).

#4 of 24 Old 06-20-2010, 01:38 AM

We're all nearly vegan. No meat, eggs or dairy.

Meat isn't even food according to my daughter. She doesn't understand why anyone would want to eat a dead animal.
#5 of 24 Old 06-20-2010, 01:53 AM

I'm a vegetarian, DH is not. DH is just starting to talk about giving DS meat...but I really don't want him too. I am afraid DS will like it and I don't want him eating 'crap' meat when we go out to restaurants. I don't know why it matters, I used to eat meat, but for some reason I just feel like DS trying meat for the first time is going to be bittersweet.

Mama to three

#6 of 24 Old 06-20-2010, 05:42 AM

I`m vegetarian, LoveBug is not. He was almost 8 YO when I became vegetarian, and I don`t want to force him to be something he doesn`t want to be. He eats vegetarian with me some days, other days I make him meat/fish. If I had become vegetarian before he was born/when he was a baby, I would raise him vegetarian until he chose otherwise for himself.

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#7 of 24 Old 06-20-2010, 12:54 PM

I have been vegetarian since long before any of my children were born. Their father is not vegetarian. I cook veg at home, with the exception of some holidays. DD19 is not vegetarian. DS10 is vegetarian but this might be due in large part to the fact that he is a very picky eater, some tastes, textures and smells really bother him. Also he might be worried how I might react. DD8 fluctuates. She is a total animal lover, so I would think would be more likely to be vegetarian but she loves hamburgers. Sometimes she claims to be vegan. When we go out to eat I strongly encourage her to eat vegetarian. I cried the first time my older DD was introduced to meat (potatoes and gravy at a restaurant, given to her by her dad). It has not affected me so strongly with my other children.
#8 of 24 Old 06-20-2010, 01:34 PM

I am vegetarian, DH and DS are not. I Cooke meat a home, but I'm really picky about where I buy it from. We don't make a big deal about who eats what at home.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#9 of 24 Old 06-20-2010, 01:50 PM

my LO will be raised vegan. we aren't super strict, but never buy non-vegan products to cook at home. we might eat a bit of incidental dairy and eggs out of the house. my husband is vegan for mostly health reasons and because i'm the cook, so i'm sure he wouldn't really care if she wasn't raised vegan, but it's very important to me.
#10 of 24 Old 06-20-2010, 04:38 PM

I am dairy-free vegetarian. DH is not. DD1 recently decided that she loves animals too much to eat them . DD2 is dairy-free but not vegetarian.

Since I'm the one who does most of the cooking, and since DD2 and I have dairy allergies, the majority of what is served here is vegan.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#11 of 24 Old 06-20-2010, 05:54 PM

Our entire house is vegan. DSD is vegan when she is with us (half-time), but when her mom met her most recent boyfriend, I think she stopped being vegan. DSD is probably not vegan at her mom's house, but her mom seems to pretend that she still is in front of DH. She might be vegetarian at her mom's - we aren't sure.

love.gif

#12 of 24 Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Meat isn't even food according to my daughter. She doesn't understand why anyone would want to eat a dead animal.
My DD too, Catnip! DD has been a vegetarian since birth (pre-natal too, actually). Vegetarianism is an important identity thing for her too. If she chooses to do it (eat meat in her adulthood) that's her choice. We don't bring meat in the house, though. That's something that will have to be done off-site, so to speak.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#13 of 24 Old 06-20-2010, 07:57 PM

My son and I are vegetarians... we do have dairy. I've never given him meat, but I know that very occasionally he's tried meat when with his father (my ex), who though eats meat, seems to mostly go along with the vegetarian thing for our son, so I don't say anything when I hear otherwise. And if he tried it in school I wouldn't flip or anything... like once he tried a hot dog. I just would never make anything with meat at home. And I figure he'll learn more from example than me establishing some big rule for him. It's up to him ultimately! just no meat at home.
#14 of 24 Old 06-20-2010, 08:10 PM

We're pesco vegheads, as are the kids. At 4 and 5 now, we do give them the choice when we're out and about. Not at restaurants, but when we're at a casual potluck and a lot of stuff is right there, you know? So far, even in the face of overwhelming temptation (nonveg marshmallows), they've generally said they do not want to eat something with gelatin in it, much less something that actually looks like meat. We really haven't emphasized the "horrors" of carnivory. We've been very upfront about where all food comes from and how there are many, many different eating traditions both in our own circle of friends and family and around the world. At some point, I suspect they'll both try meat. They're pretty curious kids. But if they do, I'm going to push for them getting their meat from a friend's farm rather than a CAFO-package o' meat at the grocery store.
#15 of 24 Old 06-20-2010, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

i do eat meat but i am picky about it being free range and local and all of that. i wouldnt know how to be a vegatarian if i tried lol but i respect people's lifestyle choices. i was jw b/c DD just started solids and i give her meat and wanted to know how it worked with you guys. like i dont like broccoli so i dont eat it but i give it to DD KWIM? but i know broccoli and meat are very different and its a morals and values thing as well so dont get me wrong. anyway it was just for curiosity's sake so TY for the info!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#16 of 24 Old 06-20-2010, 09:10 PM

i'm vegan, and so have wanted to raise dd vegan, no question. dp was a longtime l/o vegetarian, though he only ate eggs or dairy out, we never have it in the house. he was ok with raising her vegan, though he was concerned that as she got older and more curious it would be hypocritical for him to tell her no dairy or eggs (since he ate them) and also not fair to deny a kid birthday cake or ice cream — it was a huge source of contention, b/c i really believe in an animal-free diet. but, recently he changed his tune and has decided to go vegan, so he is 100% on board with raising her vegan. she's only 11 mo, and so far vegan. we know that one day she'll get curious, and that she is her own person and will choose her own path. we just hope that path doesn't involve animal products. it certainly won't in our house
#17 of 24 Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 AM

I have been vegetarian for over 10 years now, vegetarian throughout pregnancy & so on, so am naturally raising my 2 young boys vegetarian as well. (Thankfully, my X is also veg, one issue we have sorted!)

I would be upset if someone fed my children meat, very much so. But if they are grown & choose to eat meat, knowing full well what it is & where it comes from, then that's totally up to them.

At this point, they do not consider meat food, just as I don't.

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
#18 of 24 Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM

My husband, dad, children and I are all vegan. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with my kids eating animal products until I felt that they were old enough to understand the implications (even then, I would have some sadness if/when they made that choice).

mischievous.gif
#19 of 24 Old 06-21-2010, 05:59 PM

I have a vegan DD, but I eat dairy, eggs and meat.

As a family, we have cut down on non-vegan food since DD became a vegan. It is a good thing.

edited to add: read your latest post. I would not give a child food I was opposed to. Ex - I am opposed to fake sugar, for the most part. I will not buy it.
#20 of 24 Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 PM

DS is not. He's at his dad's half the time and they eat meat. All I can hope is that I set the example and he at least considers it when he's older. DD technically is vegetarian but only because all she gets is formula through a tube.
#21 of 24 Old 06-21-2010, 11:44 PM

Dh and I along w ds(3.5) dd(18m) are all dairy free vegetarians. Dh and dc do eggs(I HATE EGGS!) and I do honey in baking. But our main day to day diet is vegan for the most part.

When dc are with their grandparents they are fed the occasional icecream. Not much though b/c it doesn't settle well with any of us. Like a pp said when they are old enough to buy/prepare/their own food AND UNDERSTAND what eating meat means then they are more then welcome to join the land of meat eaters. I think ds might, cant see dd though

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#22 of 24 Old 06-24-2010, 09:49 PM

We're a vegan home, and it's important to us that our kids are, at least for now. I will be ok with them eating meat outside our home when they are old enough to understand what chicken nuggets really are and where hamburgers come from.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#23 of 24 Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 AM

Our family is really a mixed bag diet wise.

I cook vegan at home, but I keep eggs for those that eat them. All other foods in our home are meat, dairy and egg (and insect and...) free, though.

When we eat elsewhere:
DH eats fish, eggs and dairy.
DD2 eats eggs.
DD1 and DS eat an omnivorous diet.
I stick with my vegan diet.

The older 2 kids spend every other weekend at their dad's house, and when they were little I just couldn't justify encouraging them to feel bad about their diet over there, which they had/have no control over. I give them information, we talk about dietary and other choices, ds reads a lot and has read Fast Food Nation and other books about food ethics. They know why I choose to eat the way I do. I leave it at that.

DH just started ommitting land animals from his diet 4 or so years ago. DD2 has never had meat, will make comments about "When I am -- years old I might eat meat!" and I just smile and tell her that a lot of things will change as she gets older. I have been relaxing about social baked goods eating with her and she is tolerating dairy ok in those situations, but they are occasional.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#24 of 24 Old 06-25-2010, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
One is, two are not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page