Good tasting (raw)Green Smoothies? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 54 Old 07-06-2010, 09:04 PM
 
organicmom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl View Post
soaked raw cashews make a great sub for bananas. almonds work well too.
HOW LONG do y ou soak them? I sooooo want to try this!!!

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
organicmom3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 of 54 Old 07-06-2010, 09:10 PM
 
jojoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just use a Braun. It was max $60. If it can actually blend ice - like for a margarita, you should be fine. I don't have any pieces of greens in mine, it's a smooth drink. You might need something more powerful if you are going to use whole, unsoaked nuts or something, but I've even done softer nuts (walnuts) in mine and it comes out find.

I've heard amazing things about the Vitamix, but it's not in the near future for me, and I don't feel like I'm missing out.

For amounts: I'm usually making about 3-4 cups of smoothie, and end up putting in 1 - 1 1/2 cups of greens, like loosely packed. Mostly, I suggest starting with small amounts (that's what I did), and work your way up to something that's still drinkable for you. My kids get less than this in their smoothies, or they won't drink it.

For ZeezMom: I never bought the Dandelion greens, but I use them out of my yard (no pesticides/herbicides) in the spring when they are young. From my yard, they were only slightly more bitter than spinach. They are supposed to get stronger flavor into the summer as they get bigger and as they flower. I also found them to be a little too powerful for my digestive system, so I cut back to using them in smaller quantities with spinach.

I wonder if other people have this same experience: I found that after a while, I was putting in too many greens and wasn't enjoying the smoothies. For a while, I was drinking a kale one at lunch, but I hated it, so I stopped. Right now I'm just drinking the amount of greens that I can still enjoy the smoothie, although I think my taste buds have gotten more accustomed to the greens and I enjoy the taste more and more.

I also second the advice that the greens are easy to grow - I grow spinach, swiss chard and collards without any problem here in Maryland, and obviously the dandelion greens are abundant in my yard. All greens like this should be able to be grown in containers too.

This is a great thread. I can't wait to try the avocado. I was wondering about getting some fat into mine without adding actual oil to the smoothie.
jojoboy is offline  
#33 of 54 Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 PM
 
clovergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: connecticut
Posts: 1,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmom3 View Post
HOW LONG do y ou soak them? I sooooo want to try this!!!
Not too long, just a couple of hours, especially if using a Vitamix or other high powered blender.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!
 

 

clovergirl is offline  
#34 of 54 Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 AM
 
jolenegreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoboy View Post
I just use a Braun. It was max $60. If it can actually blend ice - like for a margarita, you should be fine. I don't have any pieces of greens in mine, it's a smooth drink. You might need something more powerful if you are going to use whole, unsoaked nuts or something, but I've even done softer nuts (walnuts) in mine and it comes out find.

I've heard amazing things about the Vitamix, but it's not in the near future for me, and I don't feel like I'm missing out.

For amounts: I'm usually making about 3-4 cups of smoothie, and end up putting in 1 - 1 1/2 cups of greens, like loosely packed. Mostly, I suggest starting with small amounts (that's what I did), and work your way up to something that's still drinkable for you. My kids get less than this in their smoothies, or they won't drink it.

For ZeezMom: I never bought the Dandelion greens, but I use them out of my yard (no pesticides/herbicides) in the spring when they are young. From my yard, they were only slightly more bitter than spinach. They are supposed to get stronger flavor into the summer as they get bigger and as they flower. I also found them to be a little too powerful for my digestive system, so I cut back to using them in smaller quantities with spinach.

I wonder if other people have this same experience: I found that after a while, I was putting in too many greens and wasn't enjoying the smoothies. For a while, I was drinking a kale one at lunch, but I hated it, so I stopped. Right now I'm just drinking the amount of greens that I can still enjoy the smoothie, although I think my taste buds have gotten more accustomed to the greens and I enjoy the taste more and more.

I also second the advice that the greens are easy to grow - I grow spinach, swiss chard and collards without any problem here in Maryland, and obviously the dandelion greens are abundant in my yard. All greens like this should be able to be grown in containers too.

This is a great thread. I can't wait to try the avocado. I was wondering about getting some fat into mine without adding actual oil to the smoothie.
Do u have a link u can link me to your braun...? Like on amazon or soemthing? LMK

High raw Vegans Mommy to 5!!
jolenegreen is offline  
#35 of 54 Old 07-07-2010, 01:52 AM
 
jolenegreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few questions...anyone have any good recipes with the nut butters? We use those quite often in our diet for protien

And was also wondeirng about head lettuce...I have over a dozen head lettuces each week and wondered if I could use those for a green? Are they too much water or enough vitamin.? they are a romaine type of head lettuce...most of them?

High raw Vegans Mommy to 5!!
jolenegreen is offline  
#36 of 54 Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 AM
 
sunma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sunny Tucson, AZ
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What great ideas!
I throw in broccoli, carrots, kale... what ever is on hand and then tinker about with almond milk and or water and or juice and different frozen fruits and flax, oats.... til it works.
I know this is vague, but really I am only posting to note that I tend to make a blender full of it and then we drink some and then make popsicles out of the rest. This is a fabulous snack or desert for my 5 year old, for the past 4 years. And I like them too.
You can get popsicle molds at the dollar store, bed bath and beyond... but my faves by far are from Ikea, they are smaller popsicles and reasonably priced.
sunma is offline  
#37 of 54 Old 07-07-2010, 06:19 AM
 
lunamegn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: mountains
Posts: 1,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a vitamix and my current favorite is called a "Green Lemonade:"

1 lemon
1 or 2 stalks of celery
1 or 2 apples
2 leafs of kale

Yum!
lunamegn is offline  
#38 of 54 Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 AM
 
SollysMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use a Magic Bullet for my smoothies which is great because they're individually sized and I don't have to dirty a full sized blender. My go-to smoothie is....

Kale (fill the bullet cup)
3/4 cup OJ (I'm not raw, not sure if there's a raw option)

Blend to make more room, then add

1 banana
1 cup frozen strawberries
Sometimes 2 tbsp flax seed meal

And blend again


For those who use frozen pineapple, do you buy it frozen or do you cut up and freeze your own?

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
SollysMom is offline  
#39 of 54 Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 PM
 
Aubergine68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: in the soul's garden
Posts: 2,882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a vitamix, which is really nice to have for smoothies, but our old Oster blender makes decent green smoothies too. We still keep it, and dh takes it to make smoothies in hotel rooms when he goes on long business trips.
Aubergine68 is offline  
#40 of 54 Old 07-07-2010, 12:25 PM
 
Aubergine68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: in the soul's garden
Posts: 2,882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunma View Post
What great ideas!
I throw in broccoli, carrots, kale... what ever is on hand and then tinker about with almond milk and or water and or juice and different frozen fruits and flax, oats.... til it works.
I know this is vague, but really I am only posting to note that I tend to make a blender full of it and then we drink some and then make popsicles out of the rest. This is a fabulous snack or desert for my 5 year old, for the past 4 years. And I like them too.
You can get popsicle molds at the dollar store, bed bath and beyond... but my faves by far are from Ikea, they are smaller popsicles and reasonably priced.
We make popsicles all the time -- I have to make sure the pops have enough beets or cherries or other red colored fruit/veg to make the color appealing to my kids when they are frozen. They don't eat the brownish ones with enthusiasm.

I had just about decided that broccoli is one veg that does not belong in smoothies. What do you add with it? None of us care for the taste in mixes I've tried.
Aubergine68 is offline  
#41 of 54 Old 07-07-2010, 02:31 PM
 
lisad1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
love this thread!
To naturally sweeten, we sometimes add a couple of dates (i try to soak them first overnight).

Lisa ~ WAH, bf-ing, cs-ing, hb-ing, vegan mama to Anna (09/07) and expecting #2 in March 2012!
lisad1 is offline  
#42 of 54 Old 07-07-2010, 03:41 PM
 
jojoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jolenegreen: I have a Braun Powermax 4184. I think they had a new version 2550, but I can't find either on websites now, nor can I find a newer model, so I'm not sure. I only found replacement parts. But I've had good luck buying small appliances on Amazon, reading the reviews and seeing if it did what I wanted. Maybe somebody else here has a more recent purchase that works. I guess I didn't realize how old mine was.

Also, you can use lettuce. I think you just have to see if you like the flavor in the smoothies.

SollysMom: I think it's cheaper to buy a fresh pineapple and cut it up. I cut it up, freeze it on a cookie sheet and then put it in a bag. The cookie sheet makes sure you can get out pieces of pineapple instead of it freezing in one big chunk.

Has anybody done beets in smoothies? Any recipes? I have some in the garden, and was wondering what might be good.
jojoboy is offline  
#43 of 54 Old 07-07-2010, 03:54 PM
 
jojoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd also be interested to hear about grains and protein in the smoothies. We don't do milk here. I was thinking about trying just to put in unflavored white beans (cooked) to see if they affected the flavor. I've been using protein powder, but I don't like the flavor, and I hate putting in processed food products like that.
jojoboy is offline  
#44 of 54 Old 07-07-2010, 04:48 PM
 
lisad1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we use coconut milk and/or vanilla almond milk in ours.
I've put beet greens in smoothies but haven't tried the beets themselves. I juice beets regularly and they are delicious juiced. I think I will try them - especially because I think they will hide the green colour of the smoothie

Lisa ~ WAH, bf-ing, cs-ing, hb-ing, vegan mama to Anna (09/07) and expecting #2 in March 2012!
lisad1 is offline  
#45 of 54 Old 07-07-2010, 05:32 PM
 
Liam'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Zucc make a great green ingredient, and has as much if not more potassium as a banana. I use it as a base in smoothies year-round with fresh or frozen.
Liam'smom is offline  
#46 of 54 Old 07-07-2010, 08:33 PM
 
sarahope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing, thanks for the great ideas

Sarah, WAHM and partner to incredible DH, mama to DS (10/08) and DS (6/10). Missing baby boy lost at 13 wks 12/19/12. angel2.gif

sarahope is offline  
#47 of 54 Old 07-09-2010, 07:39 PM
 
philosophicalmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like kale, pear, mint, and lemon with water and ice- it's very green tasting, but in a really good way
philosophicalmama is offline  
#48 of 54 Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 PM
 
Sayward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just did 2 kiwis in a green smoothie for the first time this morning. Sooooo good!

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
Sayward is offline  
#49 of 54 Old 07-10-2010, 01:22 PM
 
ComplexOphelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wilds of Pennsylvania
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may be a ridiculous question, but how do you put in kiwis? Whenever I do, the smoothie becomes unbearably peppery because of the seeds.

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
ComplexOphelia is offline  
#50 of 54 Old 07-10-2010, 06:02 PM
 
Sayward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplexOphelia View Post
This may be a ridiculous question, but how do you put in kiwis? Whenever I do, the smoothie becomes unbearably peppery because of the seeds.
Hmm, I wouldn't call it peppery. I can definitely taste the seeds, but no more than when I eat a kiwi whole. I like that sort of tart-acid-pop of the seeds though. Maybe I'm crazy!

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
Sayward is offline  
#51 of 54 Old 07-11-2010, 07:29 AM
 
spiderdust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My absolute FAVORITE green smoothie...

kale, apples (1 or 2, depending on how sweet they are), and a big handful of mint. I've also done this with spinach instead of the kale. The mint and apples are the focus here.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
spiderdust is offline  
#52 of 54 Old 07-12-2010, 04:32 PM
 
sarahope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does anyone add kefir?

ETA: Oh sorry, that's probably not raw. Just relooked at the thread title. Sorry.

Sarah, WAHM and partner to incredible DH, mama to DS (10/08) and DS (6/10). Missing baby boy lost at 13 wks 12/19/12. angel2.gif

sarahope is offline  
#53 of 54 Old 07-20-2010, 08:20 PM
 
SollysMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeezMom View Post
Basil and mango are a match made in heaven.

What else do you put in with this combo? I've got kale, spinach, bananas, avocado, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, nectarines, kiwi, watermelon, coconut oil, OJ, milk & yogurt (I'm ovo-lacto and not raw).

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
SollysMom is offline  
#54 of 54 Old 07-21-2010, 09:01 AM
 
Koalamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam'smom View Post
Zucc make a great green ingredient, and has as much if not more potassium as a banana. I use it as a base in smoothies year-round with fresh or frozen.
I am so trying this!!

I have been using mangos and a replacement for bananas, and it is really good. Next I will try zuccs today...

I am dairy free and use herbal infusions, usually nettles for the liquid, but used comfrey recently and it was great. I also tried fresh raw carrot juice and we were in heaven, especially with the mango.
It was: Mango, carrot, spinach, blueberry, chia seeds.

For who posted about kefir, you could make kefir and have it raw if you want. I find homemade kefir in a smoothie is too strong if you use too much. Water kefir isn't too strong, but I don't usully add that to smoohties anyway. But now that we are dairy free, I don't miss the dairy in smoothies. Well maybe raw cream, it's like a milkshake.
Koalamom is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off