cheese substitute? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question that probably doesn't have an answer.......other than nope it doesn't exist.....

I've realized my son is sensitive to milk products I eat.....I'm pretty good at bypassing the dairy products but as my family LOVES cheese Ihaven't been able to completely stay away from it....I know there are cheese substitutes BUT all that I have seen contain ingredients that I would never want in my body.....we are highly sensitive to msg and all of the similar ingredients which contain neurotoxins (yeast extract, autolyzed yeast, soy protein, anything that says..._____protein,artificial flavors, gelatin, etc.) I'm looking mostly for something to use in recipes that calls for cheese (lasagne, casseroles, etc.) I'm probably dreaming that i can find anything to satisfy this family, but....I thought I'd at least ask for ideas......

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
#2 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 10:24 AM

Every store-bought one that I can think of contains yeast. Even my homemade one use nutritional yeast.

You could try using pureed white beans, finely chopped nuts, avocado, even artichokes work well sometimes in place of cheese. I often puree beans with tahini & spices & it makes a pretty 'cheesy' end result for pastas... Add in cornstarch or flour or potato starch & cook on the stove like pudding to get it a more "stretchy" consistency for nachos etc. Finely chopped walnuts & pinenuts with spices work well in lasangne... The nutritional yeast recipe I like best is just water, cornstarch, spices, olive oil, and nutritional yeast... if you replace the nut. yeast with something else for flavor, the consistency would still be good... Not sure what to suggest for the flavor though, as everything I can think of is on your "no" list.

Someone posted on another thread yesterday that they like olives & avocado to replicate that salty/creaminess...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 02:10 PM

this site has a pine nut ricotta thats really good.
http://www.bookofyum.com/blog/soy-fr...sagna-366.html
(i like as-is, but i halve the lemon for dh)
#4 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 02:41 PM

This is Daiya's ingredient list, it is the best packaged cheese-like thing I've seen: Filtered water, tapioca and/or arrowroot flours, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and /or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, vegan natural flavours, inactive yeast, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (for flavor).

Is it soy protein as an ingredient that you avoid, or all soy? You can make a tasty ricotta like substance with ground cashews, firm tofu, lemon juice and salt. Nutritional Yeast is nice in it, but not essential.

Also, cashews, water, lemon and salt, maybe a little garlic, will make a tasty cheesy spread. Miso is a great thing to add, if that isn't something that you avoid.
#5 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 02:45 PM

Ooo yeah I'll second the cashews, and also google fermented cashew cheese, very yummy! I forgot about that as I'm now allergic to cashews

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

the recipe with nutritional yeast sounds good...would love the amounts...I should clarify...it's not yeast or nutritional yeast ....it is yeast EXTRACT that we avoid.....

thank you all...I'll read more later....trying to do this in a rush.....

#7 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 05:08 PM

Then I would suggest picking up a copy of "The Uncheese Cookbook" by Jo Stepaniak. It has recipes for a bunch of homemade cheeses, spreads and sauces.

Also, I'm very fond of this recipe: http://www.yourveganmom.com/your_veg...sauce-mix.html
#8 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 06:27 PM

Yeah Uncheese Cookbook could be your new best friend Glad nutritional yeast is OK 'cause that will give you way more options!!

Our nut. yeast recipe is very similar to http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7057.0 though I don't have our exact recipe on hand ATM.

#9 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 07:04 PM

I have tried almost all vegan versions of cheese to find them either rubbery, cardboard-ish or just plain nasty. After discovering my toddler had a reaction to Tofutti brand I was in search of a new alternative... Enter daiya... I love, love, love this cheese! I was introduced to it at a Pizza Parlor in Albany, NY. Can't say enough good about it. On pizza it gives you that nice stretchy illusion that no other veggie cheese can match. It tastes great too!

Hope your search leads you to a tasty solution for your family!
#10 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilee Gettle View Post
I have tried almost all vegan versions of cheese to find them either rubbery, cardboard-ish or just plain nasty. After discovering my toddler had a reaction to Tofutti brand I was in search of a new alternative... Enter daiya... I love, love, love this cheese! I was introduced to it at a Pizza Parlor in Albany, NY. Can't say enough good about it. On pizza it gives you that nice stretchy illusion that no other veggie cheese can match. It tastes great too!

Hope your search leads you to a tasty solution for your family!
Daiya is awesome!

+ + =
#11 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

The daiya looks pretty suspect to me with the 'pea protein'....but that recipe book (The Uncheese cookbook)....now that looks interesting...I will go check it out!

Thanks for the ideas...never knew there was cheeses made from nuts.....wow....this will be so good when it's our time to fast as well (we fast a lot from animal products for religious reasons throughout the year)

#12 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Is it the ULTIMATE UNCHEESE COOKBOOK?

#13 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmom3 View Post
Is it the ULTIMATE UNCHEESE COOKBOOK?
Yup! The author (Jo Stepsomething) has a few other great books as well...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page