What`s cooking Veg*ns July 2010! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 07-06-2010, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tonight I made Asian rice noodles with homemade peanut sauce tossed with stir-fried onion, carrot, spinach, broccoli, garlic and ginger. Oh, and chickpeas! Totally not traditional, but I wanted extra protein and didn't feel like using my tofu. We also had corn on the cob because my 4-year-old can't stand to have it in the house and not be eating it. He is totally corn-obsessed!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#2 of 70 Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 PM

Tonight we're having sauteed mushrooms, kale and sundried tomatoes over polenta. Salad on the side w/homemade italian herb dressing.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#3 of 70 Old 07-06-2010, 10:50 PM

Almond meal pancakes with blueberries (that we picked yesterday) and MorningStar bacon

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#4 of 70 Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 PM

potatoes, garbanzos, red onion, bell pepper cooked with cumin and chili. turned out super flavorful. i think i let the onion sweat longer than usual? so creamy.

with salad of cukes and romaine dressed citrusy

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#5 of 70 Old 07-07-2010, 12:57 AM

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#6 of 70 Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 AM

#7 of 70 Old 07-07-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Almond meal pancakes with blueberries (that we picked yesterday) and MorningStar bacon
Can you share a recipe for this? We eat pancakes for dinner quite often.

Tonight we are having a green and sprout salad with strawberry dressing and falafels. It is soooo hot here right now and I am having a hard time being motivated enough in the late afternoon to even think about dinner.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#8 of 70 Old 07-07-2010, 03:23 PM

I'm jumping on the black bean, sweet potato nachos bandwagon tonight! Using this recipe:
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/bea...-nachos-368806

I think DH will be pleased.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#9 of 70 Old 07-07-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Marmalade View Post
Can you share a recipe for this? We eat pancakes for dinner quite often.
I have gestational diabetes so these are the only pancakes I can really eat right now.

Almond Meal Pancakes

Ingredients:
2 cup almond flour (I also add about 1/2c of wheat germ or bran)
3 eggs
1/2-3/4 cup water or milk (for puffier pancakes, you can use sparkling water)
2 T oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 T maple syrup

Mix ingredients together and cook as you would other pancakes. I like to use a nonstick pan with a little oil. The only real difference is that they won't "bubble" on top the same way as regular pancakes. Flip them when the underside is brown.

The next time I make these I am going to try replaceing the eggs with a large mashed banana to make them vegan banana pancakes. I am sure you could easily sub tofu or flax eggs also.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#10 of 70 Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 PM

Tonight was yummy big salads with chik'n patties, strawberries, blueberries, feta, walnuts and balsalmic dressing.

#11 of 70 Old 07-10-2010, 10:22 AM

Hi Ladies!

Trying to get back into the groove of posting/checking here -- My internet time has been really limited lately with a new little one. (Chessa -- it's going wonderfully, thanks for asking on the last thread! Our son Ilan was born in the tub after only 1.5 hours of active labor -- 5 hours total -- and I pushed out all TEN POUNDS 3 OUNCES of him in 15 minutes, kind of the most intense 15 minutes of my life, lol. Things are really starting to feel amazing these days, though it was a bit hectic/nervewracking for the first month-6 weeks. I'm pretty excited to have a son because I grew up with only sisters. I'm utterly charmed even though he's entirely genderless now, as a 10 week old!).

So this past week I made two awesomely summery dishes. First, a Mexicali chop which was in the latest issue of VT though it's not online yet -- a chopped salad with black beans, cukes, peppers, corn, avocado, celery, romaine, and a cumin-lime dressing (the dressing really made it).

Secondly, Pasta Caprese -- a really simple pasta with tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozarella. Standard idea but I really liked the technique used to make it (involved marinating) because it made it really flavorful.

Tonight I think I'm trying double broccoli quinoa from 101 Cookbooks.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#12 of 70 Old 07-10-2010, 10:36 AM

Congrats Robina!!

Last night we had penne pasta tossed w/broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, garlic, basil and olive oil. It was quite yummy.

Tonight is an Amy's cheeseless pizza night as I have to leave early to babysit for a friend's little one. Those pizzas are so good! Our standard I-don't-want-to-cook meal, along w/a salad.

Cindy

#13 of 70 Old 07-10-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Holy cow, Robina, 10 lbs 3 oz!!!!! You go, mama!!!! I know what you mean about the first month or two - I think we really got our groove on about 3 months+.

Last night was kind of a shameful grocery store buffet - it was just too hot to cook and I wasn't inspired because DH and DS1 were going camping later, so we just noshed on tortilla chips, tzatziki, hummus and olives. It's not supposed to be so hot here the next few days, so I have a lot of cooking to make up for!

#14 of 70 Old 07-10-2010, 01:03 PM

Wow I still don't feel I have my groove back and ds is just shy of 4 and dd is just shy of 18m LOL.

I've been trying to do the pantry challenge in the F&F part of the forum. Yest I somewhat blew it though lol. We had friends over and made a huge feast.

-Tofurky sausages
-veggie hot dogs
-devilled eggs
-pasta salad w cherry tomatoes, basil, onion, boccochini cheese(VERY RARE FOR US TO BRING DAIRY IN THE HOUSE)
-potato salad w red onion, red peper, and a dijon apple cidervinegar dressing...and tons of dill frm the garden
-veggie ceaser salad(found a brand w no dairy and no meat WOOOHOOO)
and then we had those yummy coconut milk icecream sandwiches for dessert

Tonight were having gumbo with the leftover sausages

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#15 of 70 Old 07-10-2010, 06:20 PM

tonight we are having friends over with grilled pizza three ways

homemade pesto and ricotta
margarita with fresh tom and basil from our garden
squash and chard from the farmers market and our garden

speaking of i better go get the dough started.

very excited about my haul from the market this week.
ill be back with the rest of the week later.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#16 of 70 Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Tonight I actually made brown rice and goat cheese cakes, with fresh string beans and salad. So yummy!

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#17 of 70 Old 07-10-2010, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight was a BBQ veggie feast! It was csa pick-up day plus Ihad some other veggies around that needed eating. We had tofu pups, grilled portabello mushroom caps, baby bok choi and a little yellow summer squash marinated in soy sauce and sesame oil and grilled on foil, grilled corn on the cob, and we boiled some fresh green beans on the BBQ gas burner. Then there was a salad with baby lettuce, radish, edible flowers, parsley, thyme and oregano. Oh and some fresh strawberries (some from our garden, some from the store).

#18 of 70 Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 AM

Yesterday we had Quorn meatballs, homemade pastasauce and tagliatellepasta. (We got home from Sweden yesterday, and they have atleast 10 times the amount of vegetarian meatsubstitutes we have here in Norway. We have 3 Quornproducts here, they have atleast 16. So I bought a ton, and my freezer is full. Soooo great for the days where I am making meat for my son! )

Today I think I am going to make pizza. We can eat it while watching the finals in the Soccer WorldCup tonight. Go Spain!!

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#19 of 70 Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 PM

I haven't turned the oven on in days to avoid adding to the 100+ degrees. So yesterday I did a large batch of oven cooking!
-Homemade sandwich buns
-Orange cinnamon rolls
-Graham crackers
-1 batch veggie burgers and 1 batch made into meatballs

Also roasted up some fries and we had veggie burgers and fries for dinner.

So tonight...minimal cooking! Making pasta e fagioli from veganomicon with our first homegrown tomatoes!

treehugger.gifTree hugging, free thinking, free living.  2 Fur baby princessescat.gif L &cat.gifK
Future unschooler, sustainable farmer, and awesome mom!  ...TTC... namaste.gif
#20 of 70 Old 07-11-2010, 04:09 PM

I rarely post on this thread, but read it often for inspiration and ideas. I would love to have the recipe for the brown rice and goat cheese cakes...yum!
Tonight I am making corn chowder, salad from our garden, and fresh local bread.
Tomorrow I am making the black bean burgers from veganomicon, except we crumble them into a thousand pieces and put them in burritos with all the fixings....
#21 of 70 Old 07-11-2010, 09:22 PM

So tonight was the double broccoli quinoa from 101 cookbooks and we loved it! DD gobbled it up.

Chessa, that sounds so yummy! I love dinners with lots of bits and bites, and when it involves anything grilled that's even better!

simplyc, what recipe do you use for your grahams?

seamama, here's the recipe:

Brown Rice and Goat Cheese Cakes

¾ cup short grain brown rice
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic
1/4 medium onion (I just eyed this to proportion it to the carrot and garlic)
2 medium carrots, shredded
1/2 cup pecans
5 ounces goat cheese
1 egg
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
a bit of lemon zest (I eyed this, too -- but it was a small amount)

Make ahead: Cook the rice according to package directions (should be with 1.5c water, bring to a boil, cover, reduce to low). Let stand for 10 minutes (or longer -- I did this in the morning).

Saute onion and garlic in 1 oil over medium heat, until softened. Add carrots and saute a few more minutes.

Add rice, veggies, spices, pecans, goat cheese, and egg (do the egg last so it doesn't cook) to a food processor and process until well blended but a bit coarse. Form into patties and fry up in remaining oil (be sure to give the first side time to form a crust before trying to flip -- otherwise it will stick)! Enjoy! Big hit with the under-3 set and their mamas (we had friends over).

#22 of 70 Old 07-11-2010, 11:21 PM

Mmm those rice/cheese cakes look yummy!

DH made waffles for a late breakfast and we are still sort of full and having that over-indulged feeling. So for dinner we are having corn, brocolli and a vegan caprese salad w/heirloom tomatoes and avocado. I had planned to make pot pies, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won't have DH home as long to watch DD while I make a more complicated recipe.

Cindy

#23 of 70 Old 07-12-2010, 08:12 AM

We had jambalaya sat. Using up some of the tofurky sausages leftover from friday. That's lunch today then I'm going to have to make room in the freezer for the rest today lol

Yest we had a bday party then an anniversary party. The bday party we had veggie dogs and veggie try. fruit, salsa/chips ect. So we were pretty stffed when we got home I just chopped some veg and had it with hummus

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#24 of 70 Old 07-12-2010, 02:22 PM

Tonight I'm making cauliflower, mushroom potpies w/an olive biscuit crust from Veganomicon. I think I need to go buy a dutch over this afternoon first though.

Cindy

#25 of 70 Old 07-12-2010, 04:10 PM

Tonight I`m making stirfry. Loads and loads of veggies (broccoli, sugarsnap peas, water chestnuts, peppers, onion, carrot, baby corn etc.), chinese noodles, chickpeas and blackbeans.

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#26 of 70 Old 07-12-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Last night we had super-herbed coleslaw (green cabbage, carrots, and tons of fresh herbs from the CSA - savory, cilantro, lovage) - it was a thrown together recipe that turned out really well! We also had blackened tofu (ED&BV) and leftover green beans from the night before.

#27 of 70 Old 07-12-2010, 07:20 PM

We just joined a food co-op where we get a full laundry basket of fruits and vegetables for 15 dollars. We get what is in season and cheap, so I will start planning my meals around what we get for that week. so . . .
this weeks menu is out.

tonight - roasted brussel sprouts, granny apples, and red onions with defrosted minestrone I made last month and a baked potato.

tues - asparagus risotta, bruschetta, and a salad with pears and bleu cheese

wed - grilled corn, guac, and mush/onion quesadilla

thurs - sauteed summer squash, jasmine rice, and seasoned chickpeas

fri - masoor daal with pita and hummus

sat - grilled pizza

sun - portabella burgers, potato salad, and fruit

next week I am hoping to make the nachos

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
#28 of 70 Old 07-12-2010, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight it's seitan noodle casserole from 1000 Vegan Recipes - only I subbed soy curls for the seitan and rice pasta for the regular, because DH has wheat issues. Can't wait to eat it! It uses too many pans to prepare, but it's soooo good.

#29 of 70 Old 07-12-2010, 11:51 PM

Easiest meal ever...asparagus and white bean pasta

#30 of 70 Old 07-13-2010, 04:20 PM

I'm just subbing to get re-inspired, and boy am I ever! Mmmm....

We are preparing to move and so it's been a lot of take-out and easy to prep stuff! But I am sitting here feeling ready to tackle something homemade (and really homemade, not just heated from the freezer!) for dinner. I'm thinking an easy green salad, roasted veggies, and quinoa.... Thanks all for the inspiration! (And I am thinking it may be time to pick up Veganomicon!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page