Vegetarian at Daycare - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-18-2010, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is only 3 months old, but I am already anxious about foods at daycare (especially after seeing the menu which consisted of things like beans and franks, bologna & cheese, Hostess cupcakes!!, and beef & vegetable soup). I am vegan and I want to raise my daughter vegetarian (mostly vegan - no milk, eggs, etc at home). Do any of you have veg children that go to daycare? How do you make sure that they eat foods you approve of at daycare and not have them feel left out the same time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-19-2010, 07:24 AM

Most daycares dont allow it but ask if you can send her her own food to eat...pack a lunch for her!?

High raw Vegans Mommy to 5!!
#3 of 3 Old 07-21-2010, 02:31 AM

My little man is the only vegan at daycare so they don't make special meals for him - they just give him the veg part of the meal. I'm glad he only goes one day a week or it would get pretty boring eating mashed veggies & salad for lunch every day I usually send his lunch with him from home (he's 13mths now) and they have always liked it because the carers say that if he seems hungry before it's time for lunch they can just get it and heat it up without having to wait until lunch time. The sad thing is that he's at the stage where he wants to do/eat/play with whatever EVERYBODY else has and he wants the other kids lunches too. It makes me feel sad for him but I guess it's no different than kids with allergies who can't have everything they see. My 1st 4 kids never went to daycare (1st one went to pre-school 2 days a week in the year before 'big' school) so when they were confronted with their friends food they were already well versed in 'why' they didn't eat it & were a bit grossed out by animal products.

Peace loving VEGAN Crunchymumma to praying for another real soon!
Wake up! There's a slice of VEAL in every glass of milk!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page