Which "milk" is the most nutritious? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want our family to get away from so much dairy.I am looking for the most nutritious alternative. Here is what is available at our local grocery/health food store:
Almond, Soy, Rice, and Coconut milk
They are all fortified. I hate to consume too much soy, but will alternate it. Which in your opinions gives you the most bang for your buck, so to speak?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 12:54 PM

I thin the most healthful would be to make your own hemp milk at home, cook with coconut (oil/milk), and drink daily nettle infusions for the minerals (since homemade milk, while super healthy in other ways, will not be fortified).

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#3 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Out of your choices, almond milk is the best for me. Almonds are a great source of protein (and it doesn't taste bad either), and I definitely need as much protein as I can get. I wouldn't trust soy milk because of all the pesticides in soy beans.

I'd love support------>
#4 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 08:56 PM

Our family uses a variety of soy, hemp and almond milks.

For soy I choose Edensoy extra original or WholeFoods Market brand of soymilk. Both are organic and non-gmo.

For almond I choose Blue Diamond Almondmilk. Very yummy.

For hemp I choose Living Harvest unsweetened original. It is very hempy/somewhat oily tasting though. I happen to like it

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#5 of 12 Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 PM

i love the hemp TEMPT milk, but i was surprised to see how much it lacked in nutrients. now, i try to drink coconut milk and almond milk. also, i cook a lot with coconut milk and coconut oil.

occasionally ill have rice milk because that is what my husband drinks.
#6 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
I thin the most healthful would be to make your own hemp milk at home, cook with coconut (oil/milk), and drink daily nettle infusions for the minerals (since homemade milk, while super healthy in other ways, will not be fortified).
How do you make hemp milk? Thanks!
#7 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 07:20 PM

I just blend hemp nuts with water and then pour it through a strainer. I also love making homemade banana milk and zucchini milk (same preparation), very tasty. I like to use a combination of milks and try to stay away from the boxed fortified alternative milks.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#8 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post
How do you make hemp milk? Thanks!
Funny you should ask, I literally just posted my tutorial today! Check it out!

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#9 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does your store have goat? I live in white bread U.S.A. and we have goat milk. All the previous items mentioned aren't mammals

LOL. I just noticed this is in Veg/vegan living, duh. Anyway, if you're doing dairy now, it may be a viable suggestion.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#10 of 12 Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 PM

I just rotate between all of them. I always buy organic soy milk, which means non GMO here in Canada (don't know if that's the same for the US). I use almond milk, hemp and organic cow's milk sometimes too. I'd say soy is most popular for people when first switching because it's pretty thick, but try them all out and see what your family likes.

Mother to dd, 3.
#11 of 12 Old 08-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicam View Post
Out of your choices, almond milk is the best for me. Almonds are a great source of protein (and it doesn't taste bad either), and I definitely need as much protein as I can get. I wouldn't trust soy milk because of all the pesticides in soy beans.
Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that almond milk (surprisingly) has almost no protein - maybe a gram or so at most. While I dont agree with the avoid-soy-at-all-costs movement, I do worry about pestisides and dont like consuming anything in excess. During my pregnancies, especially my current twin pregnancy, when I've been in need of lots of protein, I've worried that my soy consumption has been on the excessive side and looked at all the alternative milks. I think the only other one with more than a gram or so of protein is hemp (and I unfortunately cant stand it).

So we drink soy milk as we find it the creamiest in texture and highest in protein (and I try to buy organic for myself and the kids, though my husband doesnt like the taste as much). Soy has 6 - 8g of protein a serving and is also fortified with all the standard nutrients (calcium, vit D). I find rice milk is best for baking and coconut milk best for cooking based on taste and texture.
#12 of 12 Old 08-13-2010, 03:41 PM

You're right. Hemp milk is the only other one with more than 1-2 grams of protein per cup. I think it is usually around 4 grams, as opposed to 7 in the soymilk I use.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page