What to do with tofu - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, here's the thing.....I am not a fan of tofu. Is there any way to make it not taste like tofu? (I haven't had any luck yet). What recipes do you have that really mask the taste?

I'd love support------>
#2 of 14 Old 08-05-2010, 01:30 PM

I am not a big tofu fan either but would love to eat it more often for the protein so I am curious what others suggest.

The only thing I can really think of is to make a tofu scramble. If you season it well (I like Brags, nutritional yeast, a good garlicy salt-free seasoning blend and tumeric for color) it can be really yummy & non-tofuish taasting

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#3 of 14 Old 08-05-2010, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ha! I can't stand tofu either. Here they sell a brand of smoked tofu that is really hard and dense and relatively dry, and I do like that. I use it as a substitute in recipes that call for ham and it works great! If you haven't tried smoked tofu, I recommend it.

Other than that I love this recipe for scrambled tofu....a great substitute for morning eggs:

8oz (250g) package tofu
2 T. nutritional yeast
2 T. water
1 T. miso
1/4 tsp. curry
1/4 tsp. onion powder
pinch of garlic powder
salt + pepper to taste

Drain and crumble tofu in a bowl. Add yeast and stir to mix. In a separate bowl stir together all remaining ingredients and set aside. Heat a lightly oiled skillet on high heat and add tofu, then miso mixture. Stir and heat until it turns a nice yellow shade and heats through.

This recipe is really versatile, you can of course use fresh onions, garlic, and any other veggies...we add tomatoes and chives often. All measurements are approximate, I usually use more spices than called for. I'm not vegan (but don't like eggs), so I add cheese sometimes. I serve it on taost with some salsa or ketchup. Yum!!
Anyway the tofu really takes the taste of the other ingredients and has a texture very similar to eggs.

Enjoy!!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#4 of 14 Old 08-05-2010, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I am not a big tofu fan either but would love to eat it more often for the protein so I am curious what others suggest.

The only thing I can really think of is to make a tofu scramble. If you season it well (I like Brags, nutritional yeast, a good garlicy salt-free seasoning blend and tumeric for color) it can be really yummy & non-tofuish taasting
Oh that's really funny, as you were writing this post I was typing out the tofu scramble recipe!!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#5 of 14 Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 AM

I'm not a fan of tofu either. I found a really decent chili lime recipe online. Google and youll get a million. I drained the tofu, fried it well then made the sauce. Dh REALLY enjoyed it and thought I had marinated the tofu for hours

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#6 of 14 Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM

How are you preparing the tofu? Before I learned how to drain and press it, I thought tofu was gross. But now that I'm preparing it differently, it's delicious. It tastes like whatever marinade or sauce I use...I think it's more able to pick up the flavors when it's not sopping wet. I also started dry frying the tofu before I cook with it. You just drain and press the tofu, cut it in slabs, and cook it on medium high in a dry (no oil) non stick pan until it browns. I think the texture of tofu is so much better if it has some kind of "crust" from frying or baking it.

Here are my three current favorite tofu recipes:
Grilled Citrus Tofu
Maple-Chili Grilled Tofu
Smoky Pomegranate Tofu

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#7 of 14 Old 08-06-2010, 10:17 AM

Oh, I forgot about Chili Cornmeal Crusted Tofu.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#8 of 14 Old 08-07-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGirl View Post
How are you preparing the tofu? Before I learned how to drain and press it, I thought tofu was gross. But now that I'm preparing it differently, it's delicious. It tastes like whatever marinade or sauce I use...I think it's more able to pick up the flavors when it's not sopping wet. I also started dry frying the tofu before I cook with it. You just drain and press the tofu, cut it in slabs, and cook it on medium high in a dry (no oil) non stick pan until it browns. I think the texture of tofu is so much better if it has some kind of "crust" from frying or baking it.

Here are my three current favorite tofu recipes:
Grilled Citrus Tofu
Maple-Chili Grilled Tofu
Smoky Pomegranate Tofu
This is very true! If you have a Trader Joe's near by they sell a high-protein tofu that is very dense and I have found that I don't have to press it at all.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#9 of 14 Old 08-07-2010, 11:05 PM

I make this recipe alot because its quick, easy and really good.

http://www.food.com/recipe/fried-tofu-10986
#10 of 14 Old 08-09-2010, 01:18 AM

Tofu chocolate pudding

You can google for various recipes and pick the one that strikes your taste, but basically they tend to be variations on putting silken tofu in a blender with cocoa or chocolate and sweetener.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#11 of 14 Old 08-09-2010, 04:53 AM

Fried tofu with dipping sauce. Yum!

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#12 of 14 Old 08-10-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still nervous to try most of those suggestions though. Maybe I will try the tofu scramble.'

I did try tofurkey for the first time this weekend at a bed and breakfast, and it wasn't too bad. It definitely didn't have that tofu taste---so I'm convinced there's hope!

I'd love support------>
#13 of 14 Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 PM

-scrambled tofu and toast
-fried tofu slices with bbq sauce
-cubed in stir-frys with teriyaki
-baked with curry sauce in the oven
-marinated on a skewer and then bbq'd
-crumbled into pasta sauce

Mother to dd, 3.
#14 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 11:23 AM

One more suggestion that changed my life with tofu..

If you fry it a little with little or no oil in a non-stick pan before you marinate if (if that's what you are planning to do) and let all of the water cook out of it, then it absorbs the favors from the marinade SO much better! Tofu is like a sponge, but if it's full of water, there's not much room in there for flavor!

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page