Raw Vegan / Raw Foodist / Living Foods Support Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 11-05-2010, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
treeoflife, I buy whatever produce I'm craving. Sometimes I do lots of citrus for juice, sometimes coconut, sometimes I eat an avocado every day for weeks. I just try to have some sweet and some savory foods.

If I haven't been good for a while I will go through a detox. It can last for weeks. I've seen people recommend trying to sweat a lot to reduce the amount of toxins going into the breastmilk. What kind of cleanse? I would drink a lot of fluid, sweat and get the bowels cleaned out. The only issues I've had are that I can sometimes fall really low on calories (below 800), which once caused my supply to dip very low. I would pay attention to getting enough calories and fat.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#32 of 57 Old 11-07-2010, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

I'm back for inspiration and support. I've definitely fallen off the wagon. I've gained back 20 pounds and generally feel pretty crappy. I've just been diagnosed as bipolar and started on medication 2 weeks ago. I think that I need to go raw again. Diet does really seem to help me, but maybe I need to try vegetarian/vegan first. It's tough because we're getting WIC and it is so dairy and grain based. Raw is usually too expensive for us, but if I can just keep it simple...

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#33 of 57 Old 01-05-2011, 11:10 PM

*bump* I'm doing a raw cleanse for this month (but hopefully it will last longer). I've done a mostly raw diet before so I feel prepared this time. I know that I want to focus more on whole foods versus going through all the work to make things that mimick processed foods. I do love making raw crackers, which are easy and simple. I'll also be making some raw desserts.

What are your favorite raw dinners? What do the kids love?

What are your favorite raw soups?

Thanks!

#34 of 57 Old 01-10-2011, 02:52 PM

I'm loving this thread!

When I was pregnant with my son I pretty much became a vegetarian (couldn't stand the taste or texture of meat anymore) and he has been mostly vegan. We still eat a lot of eggs (from our neighbor's chickens) but I'm thinking of giving up dairy and wheat and transitioning to raw. I'm having a hard time getting motivated to do all raw in January!

Those of you who are mostly raw or have been in the past, what do you do in the winter? Can you drink tea on a raw diet?

I'm thinking of going 50-75% raw and keeping in tea, vegan soups, and the occasional plate of pad thai eat.gif

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#35 of 57 Old 01-11-2011, 10:17 AM

I can't do 100% raw in the winter. I tried last winter and even living in south Florida getting very fresh produce I didn't fare well. I could never get warm. I just didn't get as much of a benefit as usual and felt more sick and weak than anything. I think 50% is more my style in winter. I know a lot of people still do warm herbal teas. If you like pad thai there are plenty of raw versions you can try too here and here.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#36 of 57 Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeMoon View Post

Does anyone have any dessert/sweets recommendations? I am a sucker for sweets and we have been living at this amazing vegan ice cream parlour but I'm guessing that isn't raw.

i just made a yummy chocolate mousse pie & it's raw.  the recipe is from jennifer cornbleet. here's the youtube video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsP3E73bAJw

(there are 2 parts to watch)...it's yummy. all of her recipes are yummy! hth.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#37 of 57 Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 PM

Hi everyone! We just picked up a copy of Kris Carr's "Crazy Sexy Diet"

She talks a lot about how raw food is healing food. Anyways, we are all over the place with our diet, however we both (DH and I) really feel connected to the healing powers of living foods. Our biggest problem is that we are so poor!  Obviously it seems ideal to have a whole food diet when you are poor, but growing up with a SAD diet, comfort food comes in packages for us. Long story short we are trying to make a change. Inspiring to read your ideas and links. Thanks!

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#38 of 57 Old 02-17-2011, 07:41 AM

I bought Crazy Sexy Diet in spite of the title after reading the article on Kris Carr in VegNews. I *love* it! 

At first her chipper tone was annoying but it grew on me and by the end, I really liked her. And it's NOT a "diet" book, it's more a prescription for a full healthy long life.

Anyway, I'm done gushing. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjourmama View Post

Hi everyone! We just picked up a copy of Kris Carr's "Crazy Sexy Diet"

She talks a lot about how raw food is healing food.  

#39 of 57 Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 AM

I love the Crazy Sexy Diet book, too...highly recommended! I think her approach is very doable...although i eat quite a bit more fruit than her program recommends. eat.gif

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#40 of 57 Old 02-17-2011, 01:29 PM

Hey I love this thread! I am vegan and have been slowly transitioning to a more raw lifestyle for a year or so now. For breakfast I eat fruit or a smoothie and try to eat a big dark green salad for lunch. We usually do a cooked dinner. We are having trouble coming up with dinner ideas. What do you usually do for dinner?  I don't like doing too many nuts because they do not agree with me, but I love avacodos! I am currently 9 months pregnant and feel great even though I am not 100% raw. Would love to chat with some mommas! Do any of you feed your children raw? My son eats what I eat, so if I eat raw he eats raw. He also still breastfeeds frequently, but he does a lot of fruit and smoothies, fresh coconut water and avocados. He loves flax crackers too, when I make them. :) 

It is a learning process and takes time- I go back and forth, but I always come back to raw because of how it makes me feel. It would be nice to find some support and get ideas from you ladies!

#41 of 57 Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 PM

YAY! I'm somewhat new to raw veganism (about 4 months into it) i'm about 70% raw though but getting to 100% one day.

Most of the time it's the fact that I don't have enough room in the fridge/freezer/cupboard for my veggies, fruits, nuts, and whatnot. (I share the fridge with 3 other people, mainly meat-eaters. There's tons of meat in there.) Then, there's the cupboard full of pastas... so I made space where they store the cat food for my dried goods (it's my own personal cubby hole lol) It's hard on  the fact that I eat by myself while the rest of the family eats together. :( I try not to let that bother me though. Hopefully when DS is old enough, he can eat his veggies and fruits with me. lol. 

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#42 of 57 Old 03-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Oh that is hard! I am still transitioning to a more raw diet too. I am lucky my son and husband eat what I make. My son loves raw foods but he is only 21 months old. I fed him avocado salad- he loves raw celery, raw corn, raw cucumbers, raw avocados, and raw carrots. But I also feed him boiled veggies, gluten free pastas, rice, and on occassion some soy-free vegan Daiya cheese. And fresh coconut water everyday. Oh and we don't do much nuts bc I don't like how they make me feel, but he like kale chips and flax crackers too, and he will eat ANY fruit  :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymally View Post

YAY! I'm somewhat new to raw veganism (about 4 months into it) i'm about 70% raw though but getting to 100% one day.

Most of the time it's the fact that I don't have enough room in the fridge/freezer/cupboard for my veggies, fruits, nuts, and whatnot. (I share the fridge with 3 other people, mainly meat-eaters. There's tons of meat in there.) Then, there's the cupboard full of pastas... so I made space where they store the cat food for my dried goods (it's my own personal cubby hole lol) It's hard on  the fact that I eat by myself while the rest of the family eats together. :( I try not to let that bother me though. Hopefully when DS is old enough, he can eat his veggies and fruits with me. lol. 

#43 of 57 Old 03-10-2011, 10:22 PM

Hi!

I was 100% raw for about 1 1/2 years, and for about a year I have been 90% raw. When I don't eat raw, I usually eat a grain like quinoa or wild rice.

I LOVE eating raw, but honestly it can turn into a borderline eating disorder for me. When I get obsessive about being 100% raw, I tend to shrivel to an unhealthy 120 pounds on a 5'9" frame. I find that when I just just try to focus on a healthy, whole foods vegan diet, I tend to naturally gravitate towards raw foods.

Luckily, my husband is right on board with eating raw (and my DD is only 4 months), so I have a lot of support. In fact, he has been vegan for way longer than me (15 years) and it was his idea to go raw. He is more hardcore about it than I am!! ROTFLMAO.gif

It was really hard for me at first, but honestly it gets MUCH easier and natural with time!

I am addicted to spirullina crunchies!! Has anyone tried them??

#44 of 57 Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 AM

what are spiruline crunchies? They sound green and tasty :D

#45 of 57 Old 03-28-2011, 01:53 PM

Hi!  Just joining the thread in case it picks back up.  

We've been 100% raw for periods of time, but mostly we are about 80%.  I find it easy for myself, I eat two or three salads a day and a smoothie full of superfoods and that's me all done.  But my kids like the dehydrated foods... wraps, cookies etc.  So when I'm 100% on my own, I find it less time consuming.  When we're all raw, I feel my life is just processing and dehydrating!  

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#46 of 57 Old 04-29-2011, 11:47 PM

ooooh, I just found this thread and love it.  I hope it sees some action soon...

My family and I are in the process of becoming around 75% + raw vegan.  I'm starting the raw chef certification next month with Alissa Cohen at el.  Right now, I'm in the process of changing over our kitchen to support our raw lifestyle.  W have a Vitamix - the new one made 2008 or later that doesn't have BPA - what they replaced it with I'm not sure since it does still have a #7 on the bottom of it.  Next purchase is a Excaliber dehydrator.  This seems to be the brand that most of the raw community seems to be using around here and I got a student discount too since I'm taking raw classes...yeah!!  Other than tose two items, I'm still trying to decide what brands to purchase - especially for a food processor - any ideas??  I can't seem to find a reasonably prices one that's not made out of plastic. 

Hoping this thread picks up speed...because I'm extremely passionate about our new lifestyle and would love to talk to others for support and info-sharing and anything else RAW thumb.gif

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#47 of 57 Old 04-30-2011, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi Mamas!  I currently eat a 100% raw vegan diet, and lately I've been gravitating towards the 80-10-10 (811) lifestyle.  The main concept of 811 is that humans evolved to eat a diet consisting of 80% carbohydrates (from fruits), 10% proteins (from fruits and veggies, and also from nuts & seeds), and 10% fats (coconut, avocado, and also nuts & seeds).  My partner and I are both raw vegan at this moment, though he is currently deciding if he'd like to continue (he just finished reading "The 80-10-10 Diet" by Dr. Douglas Graham).  I'm in this for the long-haul.  Before making an overnight transition to raw, I had been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for about 8 years.  I won't be going back.  The changes I've gone through from eating 100% raw have been phenomenal.

I don't have children yet (currently in midwifery school, planning on trying for our first in about two years), but I also plan on raising them on raw foods.  Ka Sundance and Storm & Jinjee Talifero have been big inspirations to me in regards to raising raw vegan children.

Anyway, let's keep this thread alive!  I don't have much raw support in real life...I'd love to share tips, advice, recipes, etc. here. love.gif

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#48 of 57 Old 05-08-2011, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

If you tell WIC you're vegan and get your kids Dr to sign a paper saying there vegan you can get 32 quarts of organic soy milk a month! I breastfeed and have a three year old and get that much soy milk per month. Since we get that much soy milk we don't eat other soy products though. I am vegan aside from raw honey and my babe is in wool diaper covers... I eat mostly raw foods and lightly steamed ones, aside from beans and rice which I eat cooked. I used to eat soaked and fermented rice and beans years ago and would like to try that again someday. Also I don't have a food dehydator and can't really afford one right now but there is a nice one on craigslist for $40 but the person says it was used to make jerkey so I'm not sure if I feel like I could morally buy it. Any advice?

be good family...

#49 of 57 Old 05-08-2011, 07:37 PM

Whoa.  So I posted my previous post on April 30th...explaining how I don't have kids yet and am waiting til I'm done with midwifery school...and Friday morning (after wondering where my period had been the past 3 days), took a pregnancy test, and got smacked in the face by two pink lines!  So...wow!  I will be continuing to eat a raw vegan diet throughout this pregnancy and will keep the thread updated about how it's going. love.gif

Calm likes this.

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#50 of 57 Old 05-09-2011, 01:47 PM

I did the raw thing last year, up to about 85% raw.  I had a health crisis and have since returned to eating regular omni (but healthy, organic, local, etc.).  I am getting ready to move to Florida where I will be able to have a weekly organic CSA box, as well as a great resource for vegan and raw foods (a raw vegan cafe and shop) close by.  The lack of organic produce in Georgia was getting to be a big drag on my budget and my spirit, jumping though so many hoops to locate fresh food.  But I'm so happy I'm moving where I have more choices, and I can't wait to get back more in tune with raw foods.  I am also growing my own fruit trees, berries, sprouts, and wheatgrass to add to that.  I have blueberries, limes, and lemons already on the trees.  And I'm taking my huge organic frozen blueberry stash from Georgia with me  (one thing that is good here, a local u-pick blueberry farm where they don't spray).  I wanted to try to sprout brown rice and plan on trying that after I get settled as well.  

ETA:  Oh and I really want to build a solar dehydrator in my backyard, we have such abundant strong sunshine, I figured I could make it work for me :)

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#51 of 57 Old 05-09-2011, 02:46 PM

Congratulations wombjuice!  I look forward to hearing about your raw pregnancy journey.  You should keep a blog.   I also believe humans were meant to eat mostly fruits (frugivore).  Evidence for this is breast milk (the sweetest mammal milk there is by a big margin) and the way kids gravitate to sweets (which most unfortunately end up translating as candy).  And some other reasons.  Fruit is the one thing often missing on a raw lifestyle, and that's when people lose too much weight or feel a bit low although that result is rather uncommon anyway.  When fruit is added, large amounts of fruit, all that shifts.  

I made rawsagne last night and it was a big hit.  (lasagne)  Tonight I am making nut stuffing... I've been soaking nuts for 12 hours and am all ready to try it.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#52 of 57 Old 05-09-2011, 06:04 PM

Thank you for the congrats, Calm!!  I am thinking about doing a blog! smile.gif

#53 of 57 Old 05-13-2011, 05:44 AM

New to raw foods here. We went dairy and gluten free because of DD, but we are not completely vegan. I add raw organic eggs to our smoothies and DD sometimes eats fried egg. Raw honey is used occasionally as is goat milk cheese. I have lots of health issues and constant fatigue and I'm hoping things will change with a raw diet. I'm 75-100% raw on any given day, and I aim 50-75% raw for DD (2yo). We also have store-bought oat ad rice milk becuase of the convenience.

We eat lots of sweet fruit, tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, salads (DD doesn't like mixed things and rather eats a whole tomato or a whole apple) and I make a smoothie every day with greens added. I make dehydrated bread. We also eat raw food bars.. 

I like to eat whole buckwheat  (that's soaked overnight) with rice milk.

I find the full meals most difficult, but I just had a huge success with a "pasta". I sliced two zucchinis lengthwise with a cheese slicer and then cut them into strips like tagliatelli. Served with tomato sauce (and some goat milk cheese). DH saw me slicing the zucchini but eating the food he still thought there was actual pasta in it!  When he found out it was just raw zucchini he was like, WHAAAT??? LOL!!!! Even DD ate it and liked it, and I too was amazed how well it worked as a "pasta".

#54 of 57 Old 05-13-2011, 01:25 PM

Hi Minimum.  I just did my first zucchini as a pasta gig... lasagna.  It worked so well.  My next attempt will be the pasta as you did it.  I make a mean raw tomato sauce.  The biggest challenge to me is keeping up with it all.  Making enough crackers for snacks and bread for lunches... I seem to be working on some food or other all the time when we are 100% raw.  

My son is the same, he won't eat mixed foods.  He'll eat a cracker, and then he'll eat some avocado... but if you put the avocado on the cracker, he's not interested.

#55 of 57 Old 05-13-2011, 08:34 PM

I am having trouble eating enough calories.  I have an abscessed wisdom tooth that hurts more than anything I've ever experienced, so I'm on antibiotics for it.  Now, tonight actually, the nausea is starting to kick in, but I'm not sure if it's pregnancy, the abx, or the pain.  Due to all this, though, I can't chew anything, so I was blending smoothies and cold raw soups to eat...and then today, OUR FREAKING BLENDER BIT THE DUST. 

I'm hungry and tired and in so much pain.  I want to enjoy pregnancy!  I have to keep telling myself that the tooth will get better soon, I will rebuild my good body flora (with probiotics), and my appetite will come back.  Blech. gloomy.gif

#56 of 57 Old 05-17-2011, 12:33 PM

oh no, wombjuice! I'm so sorry all of this is happening at once! This will pass, I promise. You will have a blissful pregnancy, I'm sure.

Is there no way you can get a new blender? In the meantime, you could experiment with puddings...avocado or banana based, easy to smash with a fork. You can add coconut butter or almond butter. That would be a start anyway!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#57 of 57 Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Hi mama's,my family are unintentionally going raw ") We are enjoying so many foods that are raw and as close to there natural state as possible. Any tips? I would be ever grateful for some raw cracker and bread recipes.I do a lot of sprouting so any recipes that incorporate sprouts would be wonderful. We are only about 50% now,some days more,I would like to go up to about 75%. We do raw dairy,but any eggs are still cooked. My DH and sons are lacto~ovo and I am lacto~ Loving eating this way!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page