Whats Cooking in September Veg*ns?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 09-08-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hoping to get some ideals! I making Peach BBQ Tofu with grilled asparagus and grilled corn on the cob for dinner tonight. How about yall?

Vegan Crunchy Tree Hugging Wife to my DH and Mommy to my sweet Daughter
#2 of 70 Old 09-08-2010, 03:33 PM

I've been doing pasta salads with lots of veggies from my CSA box. I've been getting awesome grape tomatoes, broccoli, random greens. Nothing too exciting thus far, but I just found this blog:

http://www.chefchloe.com/blog.html

There are a ton of dessert recipes, and a few main dishes that look amazing. Definitely trying them out next week.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#3 of 70 Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMom View Post
Hoping to get some ideals! I making Peach BBQ Tofu with grilled asparagus and grilled corn on the cob for dinner tonight. How about yall?
Yum, that sounds good. We just came back from a trip and I am so sick of the bad restaurant food. I just crave simple real foods.

Last night I made a lentil loaf, mashed garlic potatoes, steamed carrots and broccoli. I used the magical loaf studio-just love that site.

Tonight was Tortellinis and green salad.

Broccoli soup is on the menu for tomorrow night.
#4 of 70 Old 09-09-2010, 12:42 AM

Tonight was fend for yourself and so I had vegan grilled cheese. THe boys had peanut butter and jelly and chips. (I know bad mommy tonight , I had homework ) anyway tomorrow if it is fend for myself I am making rice noodles with stir fry veggies.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#5 of 70 Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 AM

Ooh.. I need to sub to this thread!

Yesterday we had carrot/potato soup w/home made bread. Tonight I'm thinking something with lentils and brown rice, just not sure what yet! LOL After reading the lentil thread yesterday, I've made tons of copies of the posted recipes and need to make a choice soon!

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#6 of 70 Old 09-09-2010, 01:13 PM

Last night we had lentil soup and rice. Today I am not so sure

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#7 of 70 Old 09-09-2010, 03:10 PM

Tonight we're having pretty simple rice and beans alongside a beet and boston lettuce salad with walnuts.

I need to make something for my MIL to serve the 4 dc's Saturday night. Dh and I are going away for one night to celebrate 10 years . First time in almost 8 years that we've spent the night together "alone" . I need something all the kids will eat and something that she just needs to reheat. Dairy-free too.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#8 of 70 Old 09-09-2010, 03:49 PM

So far this month I have been slacking! I work right over dinner, and I've also been doing 12h shifts mixed in

Last night I made gnocchi-sadly store bought. But a really yummy homemade sauce w tomatoes from the garden, and veggies and hemp seeds mixed in.

Dinner tonight is ds's choice b/c it was his meet the teacher day for jk So he chose falafel, hummus, pita and veggies. I'm going to make a coleslaw type salad with pickles and cumin and corriander. And I made a vegan vanilla cake w icing as a really big treat for dessert SPOILED

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#9 of 70 Old 09-09-2010, 04:31 PM

Last night, I made Spring Minestrone from Moosewood's Daily Specials. It didn't taste like anything! So many delicious vegetables (so much chopping!) and there's just no flavor. Tonight I'll probably just make salad, and try to figure out how to spice up the soup so we can get through this giant pot of it.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#10 of 70 Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 PM

Last night was tortellini.
Tonight is going to be build your own burritos.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#11 of 70 Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMom View Post
Ooh, do you have a recipe for that tofu? It sounds great!

And I've never seen that magical loaf studio site before, what fun.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#12 of 70 Old 09-09-2010, 06:44 PM

Homemade pizza!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#13 of 70 Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGirl View Post
Ooh, do you have a recipe for that tofu? It sounds great!

Its basically the Apricot BBQ from Veganomicon but made with peaches because I just love them

Tonight I had a PTA meeting and dd had cheerleading and I only had 40 mins to make and eat dinner. So I made my version on a Vegan Ruben with a salad. It was so good.

Vegan Crunchy Tree Hugging Wife to my DH and Mommy to my sweet Daughter
#14 of 70 Old 09-10-2010, 10:49 AM

Still clueless for tonight.. Might even be only a pizza

#15 of 70 Old 09-10-2010, 12:46 PM

Made a vegan quiche last night, with broccoli, tomatoes, garlic, and daiya cheese. I usually love the daiya cheese, but since I've been pregnant it's been tasting really weird to me. DH loves it and I thought it might be good in it, but I kind of wish I hadn't put it in. Oh, well. It was still good.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#16 of 70 Old 09-10-2010, 02:23 PM

We ended up having Linguini w/tomato sauce + baked lima beans.

#17 of 70 Old 09-11-2010, 01:09 PM

Last night dh made perogies sauteed with onion, garlic, tomatoes and spinich. With a coleslaw type salad w carrot, cukes and pickles

Tonight I'm at work over dinner again and dh doesnt get home until around 7 so dc will be at inlaws. I've got a HUGE tray of nutrtional yeast pasta and cheese w tomatoes and spinich in the oven then I'm going to stir in some frozen corn. Dc will take that with them and have cukes on the side w bananas for dessert.

#18 of 70 Old 09-11-2010, 01:28 PM

#19 of 70 Old 09-11-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
Last night dh made perogies sauteed with onion, garlic, tomatoes and spinich. With a coleslaw type salad w carrot, cukes and pickles
Tonight I'm at work over dinner again and dh doesnt get home until around 7 so dc will be at inlaws. I've got a HUGE tray of nutrtional yeast pasta and cheese w tomatoes and spinich in the oven then I'm going to stir in some frozen corn. Dc will take that with them and have cukes on the side w bananas for dessert.
That sounds both yummy!
Would you mind sharing the recipes for the perogies as well as the nutr. yeast pasta? Pretty please!

Tomato soup w/fresh baguette bread here tonight. Something quick and simple..

#20 of 70 Old 09-11-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMOmmyOf2 View Post
That sounds both yummy!
Would you mind sharing the recipes for the perogies as well as the nutr. yeast pasta? Pretty please!

Tomato soup w/fresh baguette bread here tonight. Something quick and simple..
The perogies were just frozen that dh boiled then sauteed in a pan with garlic, onion, tomatoes from the garden and fresh spinach. It was super yummy

The nutritional yeast pasta didnt come out so great since dc both tried it and didnt want ANYTHING to do with it

It was just penne covered in a basic nutrtional yeast sauce and baked with chopped tomatoes and spinach. I thought it was decent but they didnt. Just cant get nutrtional yeast sauces past them. They really dont dig them

#21 of 70 Old 09-12-2010, 01:32 AM

Lentil nut mini loaves with green beans almondine and baked potatos
Crumb-coated eggplant cutlets and pasta pomodoro
Green spaghetti
peanut butter noodles with fried tofu, cabbage and peas
Black bean-sweet potato enchilada casserole
#22 of 70 Old 09-12-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post
Lentil nut mini loaves with green beans almondine and baked potatos
Crumb-coated eggplant cutlets and pasta pomodoro
Green spaghetti
peanut butter noodles with fried tofu, cabbage and peas
Black bean-sweet potato enchilada casserole
Ohhh.. that sounds yummy! (It all does actually! )
Do you have a recipe for those PB noodles?

#23 of 70 Old 09-12-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
The perogies were just frozen that dh boiled then sauteed in a pan with garlic, onion, tomatoes from the garden and fresh spinach. It was super yummy

The nutritional yeast pasta didnt come out so great since dc both tried it and didnt want ANYTHING to do with it

It was just penne covered in a basic nutrtional yeast sauce and baked with chopped tomatoes and spinach. I thought it was decent but they didnt. Just cant get nutrtional yeast sauces past them. They really dont dig them
Ahh ok. Still, sounds yummy! Makes me want to add them to my grocery list for next week!

LOL about the nutr. yeast; my DCs don't touch it either, no matter how hard I try and DH hates it, so it's only me.. As a matter of fact I need to order some again.. (To me your pasta dish sounds good w/the sauce! )

#24 of 70 Old 09-12-2010, 03:13 AM

The sauce is about 2 tbs each of soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar and peanut butter, a dollop of prepared ginger, a few cloves of crushed garlic, and a bit of sriracha sauce. I add that to whole wheat pasta, cabbage, peas, and tofu.
#25 of 70 Old 09-12-2010, 06:53 AM

Thank you so much, catnip!

#26 of 70 Old 09-13-2010, 04:13 AM

We ate out for DD1's birthday, and I got the city's best veggie burger with tabouleh salad.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#27 of 70 Old 09-13-2010, 01:38 PM

Last night was leftovers. Tonight a tofu stir fry w lemon grass ginger garlic and veggies. I was going to do a peanut sauce but I'm hoping to send the leftovers w ds for school and I cant send peanut butter

#28 of 70 Old 09-13-2010, 03:56 PM

Last night we did a rainbow stirfry - tofu, carrots, broccoli, green beans, red peppers, mushrooms and purple cabbage in a homemade teriyaki ginger sauce with brown rice.

Tonight, my mom is taking us out to dinner as a thank you to my husband for installing a new kitchen faucet for her. Where to go? Chinese? Italian? Ethiopian? Mexican? Pan Asian Fusion? Gourmet Vegan Junk Comfort Food? I do love Sacramento.

Tomorrow we're having a small dinner party. I'm serving Penne Pomodoro with tomatoes and basil from our garden garnished with pine nuts, multi-grain French bread from Costco, because we're broke and I have it on hand, salad with cherry tomatoes from the garden, red wine, and I probably should contrive some sort of dessert. Any ideas? I don't have enough fresh fruit to make a pie, cobbler or sorbet. I could make ice cream, or just about anything else baked.

Later this week, I'm planning to make black bean sweet potato enchilada casserole and grilled tempeh fajitas in a chili-lime-beer marinade with zucchini, portabella mushroom, orange bell peppers and purple onions.
#29 of 70 Old 09-13-2010, 04:16 PM

Today it was Lentil loaf for dinner (didn't crumble apart much, actually but DH 'suggested' to not use BBQ sauce next time as he didn't like the sweet taste in the loaf.. ), fresh mashed potatoes and green beans.

I did a lot of prep cooking yesterday for several meals to freeze and in general for this week, so I also made an awesome Curried Sweet Potato & Chickpea Stew (I threw some leftover brown rice in too)
I didn't have Cilantro but it still tasted great; I had mine for lunch and DH took a portion with him to work. I froze the rest.
For tomorrow I've got Black Bean Sweet Potato Enchiladas planned (they 'go around' these days here recipe-wise, huh? ) and I'll probably end up making a big batch of Lentil soup as I've got some carrots and potatoes that I need to use up too..

#30 of 70 Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 AM

Tonight is tacos. Refried black beans, tomatoes from the garden, spinach, red peppers and corn. Not very exciting but our groceries are getting very low until next week LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page