Vegan Bread Machine Recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
PoetryLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just unearthed my bread machine while decluttering. I thought I donated it a while ago. I'm so glad I didn't actually donate it. Yay for decluttering!

But I don't know any vegan bread machine recipes. Please share your favorites!

Many thanks!!
PoetryLover is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-27-2010, 01:03 AM
 
PikkuMyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: hmmm
Posts: 7,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just use regular recipes and I substitute Earth Balance for butter and soymilk for water+dry milk powder.

Early intervention specialist and parent consultant since 2002.
PikkuMyy is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 PM
 
I-Love-Alaska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Far from Alaska :(
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My go-to recipe (I've memorized it) is:
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp almond milk (not vanilla)- at room temperature

3 cups of bread flour (I like King Arthurs)
1 (heaping) Tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt

Make a well in the center and add:
2 tsp yeast

Add 1/2 tbsp earth Balance to each of the corners.

Bake on your "regular setting". This recipe came from my breadmaker, Regal I think...

Susan- Vegetarian Single Mom to 9 year old twins!!
I-Love-Alaska is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
 
PoetryLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Alaska View Post
My go-to recipe (I've memorized it) is:
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp almond milk (not vanilla)
1 (heaping) Tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt

Make a well in the center and add:
2 tsp yeast

Add 1 tsp (approx.) to each of the corners.

Bake on your "regular setting". This recipe came from my breadmaker, Regal I think...
How much and what kind of flour? So many thanks!
PoetryLover is offline  
Old 10-07-2010, 04:32 PM
 
jildez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: mendo co ca
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm guessing the previous poster is using 3 1/2 to 4 c of all purpose flour for that amount of liquid. You could probably use up to 1/2 ww flour.

I make all our bread, and i use it for 1-2 times a week (usually do a large batch in the mixer 1x/wk) but usually don't bake in it- i don't like its crust too much, but it makes kneading a rising a cinch.

I like to do my pizza/calzone/breadstick dough in it

11 oz water
2 TB olive oil
2 scant tsp salt
4 cup flour- i will tend to use 1 c ap to 3 c ww or 1/2 and 1/2
2 scant tsp yeast

use dough setting and at end, punch down and stick in fridge or shape as needed. if you cool it, it keeps it shape more easily. Top/fill. let rise 5-10 mins or just pop into the oven. Bake 15- 25 mins at 400- this depends on the thickness. I tend to do two reg crust pizzas with this and they take ab 18 mins in my oven. I get 5-6 large calzones (1 is a serving for my hubbie and 2 servings for me), 2 thin crust pizzas (cook ab 12 mins) or 12- 16 breadsticks (cook 10- 15 mins, depending on length and thickness).

ETA: also, check after a few mins of mixing to see if liquid/flour amounts are right, and don't use the delay setting with a recipe until you know how it acts. and i also use any recipe, just sub my milk for dairy and for fat, i often use veggie oil for butter or marg (cheaper), i do have to make sure the liquid/ dry is okay when its mixing. I also often use ww flour for 1/3 to 1/2 of the flour called for in bread recipes.
jildez is offline  
Old 10-07-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
PoetryLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jildez View Post
i'm guessing the previous poster is using 3 1/2 to 4 c of all purpose flour for that amount of liquid. You could probably use up to 1/2 ww flour.

I make all our bread, and i use it for 1-2 times a week (usually do a large batch in the mixer 1x/wk) but usually don't bake in it- i don't like its crust too much, but it makes kneading a rising a cinch.

I like to do my pizza/calzone/breadstick dough in it

11 oz water
2 TB olive oil
2 scant tsp salt
4 cup flour- i will tend to use 1 c ap to 3 c ww or 1/2 and 1/2
2 scant tsp yeast

use dough setting and at end, punch down and stick in fridge or shape as needed. if you cool it, it keeps it shape more easily. Top/fill. let rise 5-10 mins or just pop into the oven. Bake 15- 25 mins at 400- this depends on the thickness. I tend to do two reg crust pizzas with this and they take ab 18 mins in my oven. I get 5-6 large calzones (1 is a serving for my hubbie and 2 servings for me), 2 thin crust pizzas (cook ab 12 mins) or 12- 16 breadsticks (cook 10- 15 mins, depending on length and thickness).
Awesome! I can't wait to try that! How convenient! Thanks!
PoetryLover is offline  
Old 10-15-2010, 01:03 PM
 
I-Love-Alaska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Far from Alaska :(
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post
How much and what kind of flour? So many thanks!
I am soo sorry!! I use 3 cups of bread flour (I like King Arthurs).

I haven't been on MDC as much as I'd like. Life is getting busy lately....

Susan- Vegetarian Single Mom to 9 year old twins!!
I-Love-Alaska is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 01:03 AM
 
OrangeMoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just made some banana bread that was ssooooo good. I got it off of vegweb.com (aka my new obsession, lol). Taste with everything I have done has been fine but the texture wasn't great until I started using egg substitute. It gives everything the texture of what it is like with dairy. Maybe you already know that though ;-) But anyway, I have made bread with and without the egg substitute and I think it is SO much better with.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

OrangeMoon is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 02:48 AM
 
KJoslyn78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Finger Lakes, NY
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there was one posted here that is my go-to bread recipe (its for a machine, but i do it by hand)... Here's one of the recipes from the thread (that i'll also bump)
Quote:
1 1/4 c warm water
1 T oil
2 T sweetener of your choice (I use sorghum)
1 t salt
1 c white flour (I use KA unlbeached all-purpose)
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c gluten
1 1/2 t dry active yeast
To this I add: 2-4 T ground flax seed

This recipe came with my bread machine, but I don't have the bread machine anymore. I just mix everything with a bread hook in the Kitchenaid for 20 minutes, let rise, punch down, let rise again, and bake for 40 min at 350 F.

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
KJoslyn78 is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off