Oh vegan sages...help me make my son's party super fun for his vegan and allergic friend! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2010, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,
My son is having a small party for Halloween this year. One of his little classmates is vegan and allergic to soy, nuts, and gluten. I talked to his mom and this is his first experience with school (he is 8) and he is really embarrassed of his allergies. We are all going to eat the gluten and soy free vegan pizza and we will have candy he can have per his mama for everyone. Ditto on drinks. I'm happy to accommodate him as it isn't any trouble and I want everyone to have a good SAFE time.

But caramel apples are really sending me for a loop...I make the caramel from honey butter. I was thinking I would make his on rice milk and brown simple syrup with a splash of maple. What can I do for the fat though? Mom didn't know if he could have coconut oil (so I son't think I'll test that out) which was my first choice and all I can find is soy margarine...any ideas?

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 09:00 PM

I use earth balance margarine. Here are the ingredients: expeller pressed natural oil blend (palm fruit, canola, safflower, and olive oils), water, salt, sunflower lecithin, pea protein, natural flavor (derived from corn, no msg, no alcohol, no gluten), lactic acid (non-dairy source), annatto for color. I specifically buy the vegan soy free version, as earth balance has normal butter and soy based butter as well. The container is beige and a rust/burgundy color.
I don't know if he would react to the sunflower lecithin, I guess it depends on how sensitive he is.
As for candy, not that these are the most healthy thing in the world, but Skittles are vegan and gluten free.
Also, candy apples would be vegan and gluten free, rather than caramel apples. Here's a recipe:
http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/candy_apples_1

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
Old 10-18-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
I use earth balance margarine. Here are the ingredients: expeller pressed natural oil blend (palm fruit, canola, safflower, and olive oils), water, salt, sunflower lecithin, pea protein, natural flavor (derived from corn, no msg, no alcohol, no gluten), lactic acid (non-dairy source), annatto for color. I specifically buy the vegan soy free version, as earth balance has normal butter and soy based butter as well. The container is beige and a rust/burgundy color.
I don't know if he would react to the sunflower lecithin, I guess it depends on how sensitive he is.
As for candy, not that these are the most healthy thing in the world, but Skittles are vegan and gluten free.
Also, candy apples would be vegan and gluten free, rather than caramel apples. Here's a recipe:
http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/candy_apples_1
This is only true in the UK. American skittles contain gelatin, so they are not even vegetarian. =(

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
This is only true in the UK. American skittles contain gelatin, so they are not even vegetarian. =(
I thought I read that they started phasing out the gelatin last summer? You'd still have to check the ingredients, of course, to be sure you didn't get one of the older batches. Mars does test on animals, though.

Anyway, for the caramel sauce, there's a recipe here: http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=348
You could use rice milk, and as the PP said, there's a soy-free Earth Balance vegan margarine. See here: http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/#/products/soy-free/
Old 10-18-2010, 02:03 AM

Sayward I have a bag for my weaker moments. It says gelatin free on it. It does say natural flavors which could mean anything but it specifically stated on the bag "gluten free, gelatin free".

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :

User Tag List