Help needed - Tempeh Virgin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-21-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been vegan for 10 years but I've never tried tempeh. It scares me

I've heard so many people say it has a fermented taste that you either love or hate and that you should steam or poach it before using. I'd like to try it, sooooo, how do you suggest I prepare it so that it has the mildest flavour for a first-timer? What's a good sauce or marinade?

Help me!

Peace loving VEGAN Crunchymumma to praying for another real soon!
Wake up! There's a slice of VEAL in every glass of milk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-21-2010, 10:56 AM

When I first started eating tempeh, I prepared it steamed and topped with a simple sauce made from nutritional yeast, soy margarine and soy milk with garlic and tarragon. The flavor is really not that intense, IMO, miso is much more strongly flavored. It's great cubed in stir-fries as well.
#3 of 15 Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 AM

I usually break the tempeh up into little chunks like ground beef, and sauté it with oil and reduced sodium soy sauce. I prepare it that way for everything, spaghetti, tacos, etc.
You can also make tempeh burgers by baking tempeh at 350 or so with lime, oil and reduced sodium soy sauce. Yum yum.
indie likes this.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#4 of 15 Old 10-22-2010, 02:19 AM

I also cut into chunks and either saute or bake with olive oil and reduced-sodium soy sauce, along with some veggies, then sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#5 of 15 Old 10-22-2010, 10:30 PM

I do always steam it first, no matter what I cook with it. Sometimes it can be a little dry and steaming it gives it a good consistency.

I don't think it has a strong flavor. Kind of nutty.

I used it in a vegan "chicken salad" recipe the other day and it turned out great. I got the recipe off of vegweb.com.

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
#6 of 15 Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 PM

I would recommend trying these. I've tried them all but the smoky maple and they're really good.

Too bad I can't eat more than a bite or two at a time because of a soy intolerance... DH loves them though, I make them for him all the time. They're super easy, I just toss them in a hot cast iron skillet, flip them a minute or two later and voila!
#7 of 15 Old 10-30-2010, 10:54 PM

Steam it first. Then bake, fry, whatever.

We love the hot sauce tempeh from veganomicon.

Recipe here.
#8 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 12:12 PM

I use it in stir fries (I don't usually steam it first either) or saute with oil & soy and toss into a salad.

I steam it ans serve it with brown rice gravy and mashed potatoes (yummy)!

I also recently made it in a mushroom lager sauce over mashed potatoes with roasted brussel sprouts on the side. I got the recipe here

Erica
DD September 2010, m/c October 2009
#9 of 15 Old 11-04-2010, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction ladies!

I will definately be trying it now. The tempeh bacon from V.com tempts me as do the recipes you have given me.

Unfortunately, fyvel, we don't have that type of tempeh in Australia - I'm envious at the convenience of so many of the vegan foods available in the US

I'll let you all know how I go!

Peace loving VEGAN Crunchymumma to praying for another real soon!
Wake up! There's a slice of VEAL in every glass of milk!
#10 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 02:41 PM

The first time I attempted tempeh I pan seared it.
The I made a sauce of orange juice, mape syrup, mushroom sauce, garlic and ginger and poured that over top. I had it with some sauteed quelites and it was so good!

http://andeverything-in-between.blog.../quelites.html
BTW- tempeh tastes nutty to me, but not too strong at all.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#11 of 15 Old 11-08-2010, 01:49 AM

Barbecued Tempeh is hands-down our favorite tempeh recipe - even my carnivorous husband loves it! My favorite recipe is from New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, and I was able to locate it online here: http://www.ivu.org/recipes/main/barbecued-j.html

You could also use your favorite bottled BBQ sauce, but this version is really quick and easy, despite the long ingredient list. Also, I don't bother with the final baking step - I just let it simmer on the stove until everything else (usually brown rice and coleslaw) is ready. As with so many dishes, this one is even better the next day.
#12 of 15 Old 11-08-2010, 02:38 AM

I personally am not a huge fan of Tempeh, but my DH seems to love it. The only way that I really enjoy it is in the Veganomicon recipe for Spicy Tempeh Nori Rolls which I could eat every day for the rest of my life.

http://veganchickie.com/2008/11/30/s...i-rolls-vegan/

~Baby #1 Due January 2011~
#13 of 15 Old 11-08-2010, 11:00 PM

I once tried tempeh to make vegan bacon but it didn't turn out so well. My next attempt was in coconut-tempeh stew from the Vegetarian Mothers Cookbook. And it was so delicious that I only ever use tempeh in it. I'm ready to branch out so I'm glad this thread is here!

Jess ~mom to DS1 8/05, DS2 6/07, DD 7/09 and one surprise 5/11!
Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.
#14 of 15 Old 11-08-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryliz View Post
Barbecued Tempeh is hands-down our favorite tempeh recipe - even my carnivorous husband loves it! My favorite recipe is from New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, and I was able to locate it online here: http://www.ivu.org/recipes/main/barbecued-j.html
That one's always been a winner for me (I do bake it), as well as the tempeh reuben, sans the "Russian dressing" rigamarole. Simple stuff, but it seems to come together well.

[ETA.--The reuben of course isn't vegan without modification. Sorry about that, my head got rolling on the book.]
#15 of 15 Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 PM

I absoulutely love it like a barbeque sandwich and will hopefully be making this for my inlaws that love meat and see what they think. I try to cook for them once a week.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page