Vegan protein for 1st trimester?? ugh.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2010, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having such a hard time even thinking about any protein. All I want to eat is toast and granola with soy milk. The soy milk has some protein in it, but it's not enough. I'm only in my 6th week, so I'm afraid I'll be dealing with this for a couple more months.

I'd love to hear what worked for anyone else. I haven't tried many of the meat substitutes other than veggie burgers (totally out of the question right now!) but I'd try them if you tell me that you could stomach them! I made tempeh salad the other day, loved it, and now the thought of tempeh turns me green. I usually eat a ton of beans and grains, but those sound awful too. I'm running out of options!

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
What about smoothies with hemp or chia protein powder? Soy yogurt? Veggies dipped in hummus? Hummus spread on bread/ or a veggie sandwich. Nutbutter on toast?

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Old 10-22-2010, 12:33 AM

I think your body will really tell you what it needs- follow your instincts as long as they seem reasonable! I really have never wanted a lot of protein in my first trimesters (I'm on my third pregnancy right now, second trimester), and of course everything was fine. I tend to start wanting a lot of protein in my second and then even way more in my third. Dark green veggies were always my thing in first trimester, maybe because of the folate.

Tempeh is super high in protein usually, so you don't need much of it. Maybe try preparing it in a really different way? If you can get someone else to prepare it that may help, too. For some reason during this pregnancy I would not want anything to do with tofu if I was cooking, but whenever I went out to eat I would love it.

And most beans totally were turning me off, but then garbanzos have been fine.

Another thing I've been doing a lot of this pregnancy is throwing some soft tofu in my food processor with a bunch of nutritional yeast, garlic, Braggs, and whatever herbs I'm in the mood for, then cooking it a little and pouring over whole wheat pasta. It's kind of like an Alfredo. So there's a ton of protein in that.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

Old 10-22-2010, 01:45 AM

I know I was worried during my first tri b/c it seemed like all I wanted to eat was bagels and cereal. . .carbs, carbs, carbs. Of course protein is important during pg, but I think those first weeks when everything seems awful (eating-wise) I wouldn't stress about it. You will feel better, feel hungry, and get protein when you need it!

One thing I did like while pg that I had never eaten before was veg sausage. I used to eat it at breakfast for some protein. Also someone turned me onto the Ezekiel's brand--both their granola and their English muffins. Made with sprouted wheat--much healthier than white carbs. I loved eating the muffins with almond butter.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 10-22-2010, 03:21 AM

Peanut butter on whole wheat toast was what got me through my first half of pregnancy.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM

Try getting some brown rice powder and adding it to your soy milk. Sun Warrior is a good brand. Good luck!!!!!

Mom to Lovebug 2/10 and wife to DH.
Thrilled to debut our beautiful 2011 breastfeeding calendar! www.beautyofmothering.com
Old 10-22-2010, 07:45 PM

I am snacking on almonds and walnuts here and there during the day, I keep some in my purse.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

Old 10-22-2010, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! I know I'll love food again soon, so I'm not too worried about the protein except that I feel so much better and have more energy when I eat it. I love Ezekiel's bagels too and I forgot all about them. My favorite health food store just closed so I'll have to track them down. Nuts and nutbutters great ideas too, but I just can't eat them. I am going to get some veggie sausages too.

We went out for mexican food tonight and I ate--and enjoyed!--tacos with beans and veggies.

The alfredo-like sauce sounds great when I'm feeling more food-friendly! Thanks!

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
Old 10-24-2010, 12:54 AM

I add chia and hemp seeds to my oatmeal..and I think adding them both to smoothies is great too. For meat substitutes..the only thing I can think is I believe the Boca 'chik'n' patties are vegan.

When I was pg, I just had to do protein shakes. I hated them, but I knew I wasn't getting enough. I had a hard time eating during my whole pg, so I tried to power pack..and just suck it down!

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

Old 10-24-2010, 06:47 PM

Here are some menus that I put together:
Day 1- 53 g+

2 pieces french toast on White Italian Bread made with Soymilk (10g +)

1 Morningstar Vegetarian Sausage Patty (10g)

1 egg (6g)

Fresh fruit compote with cream cheese and yogurt

1 Granola Bar (1g)

1 mini snickers

1 ginger beer

Aloo Gobi with 1/4 piece of Naan

Vegetable Burrito with rice beans, soy crumbles, sour cream, guacamole and salsa (10g+)

Icelandic Skyr Yogurt (16g)

Day 2 - 84g +

2 packages banana bread instant oatmeal (14g)

Pasta with Ricotta Cheese and Red portobella sauce (21g +/-)

2 pieces Garlic Bread with Cheese (7.5 g)

Granola Bar (1g)

Icelandic Skyr yogurt (22g)

Mac and Cheese with Leeks and Walnuts

Boca Spicy Chicken Patty on Multigrain Bread (22g)

Day 3 - 66g +

1 Morningstar Breakfast Sausage Patty (10g)

2 Slices White ITalian Bread (2g)

2 Eggs (12 g)

Apple cider

rice, veggies, beans, soy crumbles, sour cream, guacamole and salsa (10g +/-)

1 mini kit kat

2 C orange Juice

Mac and cheese (from box) (9g)

3 Grape Leaves (3 g)

6 Quorn Nuggets (20g)

Day 4

1 C Kashi (9g)

1 C Soymilk (6g)

1 banana

granola bar (1g)

rice, veggies, beans, soy crumbles, sour cream, guacamole and salsa (10g +/-)

Boca Spicy Chicken Patty with Spinach and Tomato (11g)

Hot Dog Bun (6g)

Pierogies with spinach, feta and potato (12g)

Pregnancy Pumpkin Pie (6g)

Ice cream (1g)

Day 5 - 60g +

Peanut Butter and Jelly on Multigrain Bread (17 g)

1 egg roll

2 vegetable dumplings steamed with greens and mushrooms

1 small kit kat

1 reese's PB cup

1/4 c vegetable lo mein

Icelandic Skyr Yogurt (16g)

Thai Red Curry with Veggies and Pumpkin (7g +/-)

Whole Wheat CousCous (8g)

Mint and Rosehips Tea with Honey

Greek Yogurt with Honey and Blackberries (11g)

Granola bar (1g)
Old 10-24-2010, 06:48 PM

oops, didnt realize it was vegan. well, maybe my menus will atleast give you some ideas.

good luck!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, vegmom2be! A lot of those would have to be modified, but it's mostly simple whole foods, which is what I need right now, although I'm totally craving Thai curry and spring rolls now. Wonder if I can make it to the Thai restaurant before the craving turns??

treehugger.gif
Old 10-25-2010, 10:27 PM

I swear this baby was Thai in a past life, haha- I've been craving Thai at least once a week.

With my younger daughter I could only eat spicy Asian food through the whole first trimester, and always wanted it after that. My daughter has loved spicy food since she was a toddler, kimchee is one of her favorites, and that's one of the only things I could eat... cravings are so weird.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

Old 10-31-2010, 01:26 PM

I had a protein aversion first trimester, I could usually tolerate tempeh but that was about it (for me it worked best with noodles/rice and ginger/soy sauce or with gravy on mashed potatoes) by the end I was able to eat a little more protein and I felt way better.

How about sunbutter - since it's a seed you might be able to do that. On a rice cake or toast?

Erica
DD September 2010, m/c October 2009
Old 11-02-2010, 01:43 PM

relax, and go with the flow, honestly. i don't think i ate much besides mashed potatoes and fizzy water during the worst part of my first trimester. things definitely turned around further in and i was eating like a horse (although in nice small servings!). you're only at 6 weeks, your body has plenty of stores available for the baby right now.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 PM

just follow what your body says. Try not to stress out. Personally, I have been vegetarian for almost 10 years and Vegan for 6. I had a vegan pregnancy with my first (born 8lbs 8 oz) and he is 100% vegan. We are healthy happy, never sick. My suggestion is to eat lots of fruit and veggies. Kale, spinach, seaweed. Dark greens are loaded with protein and enzymes!! Start your morning with a green smoothie and you will not put on a lot of weight and you will feel better.

I make mine with:
frozen strawberries/blueberries/or whatever
A handful of dark greens (kale,spinach, even E3 Live)
a ripe banana (little brown spots)
a little water if needed

so good, my son love it too. Good Luck you will feel better in a few weeks.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree to follow your body's requests. In ENTIRE 1st trimesters I couldn't stand the thought of nuts or nut butters or beans or greens or milks of any kind or any of my healthful favorites. I lived off baked potatoes, toast and tea. But it's passes and now I can focus on eating right. I've never had a baby that was negatively effected by 1st tri pickiness. Feel better soon!

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 PM

true, I didn't want ANY greens during my 1st trimester... I just wanted french fries or bread Thank goodness that passed!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 PM

I wasn't vegan during either of my pregnancies but for my first, all i could stomach was Caesar salad and pumpkin pie. With my second it was cheese crackers. Not very healthy, and not a single fruit or vegetable (well, if you count pumpkin )
My point is, sometimes you just have to eat what you can tolerate, even if it may be lacking in certain nutrients. Your body will tell you what you need.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
Old 11-04-2010, 02:11 AM

Lentils pack a protein punch.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Old 11-04-2010, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!
Good call about following my body's cravings. I just know I would have more energy if I had more protein. It's been interesting the last few days, no matter what I manage to eat, I don't feel satisfied until I have a bowl of cereal. I did find a couple of cereals that have a lot of protein and very little sugar, so that's something. As for greens, usually they are my favorite but the site of them now is horrific to me!

Thanks for all the replies. I love reading what worked and didn't work for other people. If you guys can make it on potatoes alone, I can certainly live off granola and soy milk for a few weeks!

treehugger.gif

User Tag List