Mothering Forum banner

Nutritional Yeast VS Brewer's Yeast??

24K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  crunchy_mommy 
#1 ·
What is the difference? Can they be used in the same way? Thanks!!

#2 ·
Without googling, I think the difference is that Brewers Yeast is 'live'. It should be used in raw recipes whereas Nutritional yeast is not, so it should be used for cooked recipes. (ETA: per the lady working at the health store). I use them interchangeably, however I do not have much experience using Brewers Yeast...

BTW, there are Brewers Yeast flakes and buds. The buds are for liquids... so, the container says. I recently bought both.

#3 ·
I've been wondering the same thing, cause everyone talks about/uses nutritional yeast. I know brewer's yeast makes me gassy so I'm a little hesitent to try nutritional yeast.

#4 ·
Nutritional yeast is grown for it's nutritional benefits and brewers yeast is a byproduct of the beer industry. Both have similiar vitamin content. NY tastes better, has almost a cheesy taste and is usually preferred by vegans because of that . BY can be bitter and I don't have much experience with using it, I like NY. However NY does not have Chromium and BY does.

HTH

#5 ·
I second Naturopath Mom, brewer's yeast is very bitter, not tasty at all. I think people use it in smoothies or something, where the taste is covered up.

Nutritional yeast is yummy, we use it almost every day. Someone asked my daughters recently what their favorite seasoning was and they both said "Nutritional yeast!" which the person asking thought was really funny.

#7 ·
Nutritional yeast is amazing at making cheese for lasagna or even eggplant parmesan mmmmmm!! Just wanted to tell everyone.

I will say that I had never heard of it till I went vegan really. I used brewers when I tried to boost my milk supply I really didnt know you could eat it with something else. Good idea about the popcorn that sounds good.

#8 ·
I use NY like it's going out of style. I use it as a seasoning in and on many things.

BY I would use more as a supplement for smoothies and things.

NY is awesome on popcorn with cocnut oil, garlic powder and sometimes smoked paprika.

#9 ·
I would mix brewer's yeast in smoothies while I was nursing to boost my supply, but I could always taste it. I don't think it tastes bitter, but it definitely has a very distinct taste. Putting it on popcorn sounds good, though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.