Nutritional Yeast VS Brewer's Yeast?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-28-2010, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the difference? Can they be used in the same way? Thanks!!

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#2 of 13 Old 10-28-2010, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Without googling, I think the difference is that Brewers Yeast is 'live'. It should be used in raw recipes whereas Nutritional yeast is not, so it should be used for cooked recipes. (ETA: per the lady working at the health store). I use them interchangeably, however I do not have much experience using Brewers Yeast...

BTW, there are Brewers Yeast flakes and buds. The buds are for liquids... so, the container says. I recently bought both.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#3 of 13 Old 10-29-2010, 10:22 AM

I've been wondering the same thing, cause everyone talks about/uses nutritional yeast. I know brewer's yeast makes me gassy so I'm a little hesitent to try nutritional yeast.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#4 of 13 Old 10-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Nutritional yeast is grown for it's nutritional benefits and brewers yeast is a byproduct of the beer industry. Both have similiar vitamin content. NY tastes better, has almost a cheesy taste and is usually preferred by vegans because of that . BY can be bitter and I don't have much experience with using it, I like NY. However NY does not have Chromium and BY does.

HTH

Kimberly DH of 8 years DS 08/2002 DS 04/2005 DD 11/2007
Holistic consultations, supplements, herbs, flower essences www.IllinoisNaturopathy.com
#5 of 13 Old 10-29-2010, 09:39 PM

I second Naturopath Mom, brewer's yeast is very bitter, not tasty at all. I think people use it in smoothies or something, where the taste is covered up.

Nutritional yeast is yummy, we use it almost every day. Someone asked my daughters recently what their favorite seasoning was and they both said "Nutritional yeast!" which the person asking thought was really funny.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#6 of 13 Old 10-30-2010, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I agree about the bitter taste... but, I don't think it's THAT bitter. I use brewer's yeast on my popcorn... no taste covered up there. Tastes fine. Although nutritional yeast tastes good, too, on popcorn.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#7 of 13 Old 10-30-2010, 10:06 PM

Nutritional yeast is amazing at making cheese for lasagna or even eggplant parmesan mmmmmm!! Just wanted to tell everyone.

I will say that I had never heard of it till I went vegan really. I used brewers when I tried to boost my milk supply I really didnt know you could eat it with something else. Good idea about the popcorn that sounds good.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#8 of 13 Old 11-12-2010, 04:56 PM

I use NY like it's going out of style. I use it as a seasoning in and on many things.

BY I would use more as a supplement for smoothies and things.

NY is awesome on popcorn with cocnut oil, garlic powder and sometimes smoked paprika.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#9 of 13 Old 11-12-2010, 09:31 PM

I would mix brewer's yeast in smoothies while I was nursing to boost my supply, but I could always taste it. I don't think it tastes bitter, but it definitely has a very distinct taste. Putting it on popcorn sounds good, though!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#10 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 06:20 AM

We use nutritional yeast, I've never tried brewer's yeast, but I always thought it wasn't high in B12 like the NY (Vegetarian Support Formula, not all NY has B12)...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#11 of 13 Old 03-06-2011, 06:44 AM

Does anyone know if brewer's yeast would be better at boosting your supply than nutritional yeast?

I can only find nutritional yeast locally and have been using it.  It works ok but if brewer's yeast works better, I would order some online. 

#12 of 13 Old 03-07-2011, 11:52 AM

What exactly are the benefits of NY? I know i could google this, but answers from Mamas are ALWAYS better!!! :)

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

#13 of 13 Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirpmama View Post

What exactly are the benefits of NY? I know i could google this, but answers from Mamas are ALWAYS better!!! :)

B6, B12, amino acids, trace minerals... We are vegan so don't get much naturally-occurring B12 so that's one big reason we use it!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page