ISO vegan cookbook - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-14-2010, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone recommend a vegan cookbook that has simple, quick and easy recipes? The main thing I need to find is quick and easy. I know there are many great books out there but I am searching for the above. Thanks!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#2 of 15 Old 12-16-2010, 05:33 PM

I think Nava Atlas has a five ingredient or less one.
Vegan with a Vengence
Compassionate Cooks has little recipe bundles that are nice.

I have a list of blogs I watch. I print out recipes when they look good and easy. Then I have a stack to pull from when I am bored or want something new. You can buy a binder with sections and plastic protectors. Make your own cookbook. I stoped buying cookboks when I noticed I had so few favorites in each.

I have found I spend less time in the kitchen if I stick to a menu. We stick to the same one most weeks, unless I find time or have a big craving. I even made a grocery list that I print and just circle what we run out of. I homeschool and we just were not getting meals done regularly. It has saved us money, too.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#3 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 AM

I got Veganomicon for Christmas and they have quite a few recipes that can be made in 45 minutes or less. One of the authors wrote Vegan with a Vengence so I don't know if any of the recipes are the same. :)

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

#4 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 AM

Anything by Isa Chandra Moskowitz is a win in my book.

Veganomicon is a great one to start with. She also has a brand new one (Appetite for Reduction) and her first is Vegan with a Vengeance. In addition to those basic books, there is a brunch-oriented one and some dessert ones (cookies and cupcakes). You can also find great recipes on theppk.com

I really like How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman. It is an excellent cooking resource in general. Not strictly vegan but I find it very vegan friendly and it is full of simple, basic recipes with many ideas for variations. There are many vegan recipes and you can also modify some of the other recipes to be vegan. Some of the recipes can take waiting time (e.g., soaking beans overnight), but you can do a lot of preparing in advance -- cook the beans over the weekend, or make a batch of veggie burgers in advance and freeze them.

#5 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 11:33 AM

I got this one for Christmas, haven't used it yet but just reading through it, a lot of the ingredients are things you'd find in most kitchens and the prep is easy for most of them.    Its called The World Goes Raw Cookbook by Lisa Mann.  They're raw vegetarian recipes from Italy, Mexico, Middle East, South America & the Caribbean. 

#6 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 11:35 AM

Vegan Comfort Food by Alicia Simpson!!!  I use it all the time, has GREAT tasty recipes, that are fast and so simple you could facepalm for not knowing them already.

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Easy-Vegan-Comfort-Food/dp/1615190058

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#7 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 11:52 AM

The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook (not 100% vegan, but most recipes are, plus they are simple and healthy)

Mother to two great kids. &
#8 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I love Vegan with a Vengence and desperately want Veganomicon. I agree that Isa Chandra Moskowitz is amazing. My omni DH is in love with her.

#9 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 05:58 PM

I love Vegan Planet and La Dolche Vegan for easy everyday recipes.  I have a taste for Indian and Asian food, so I love Madhar Jaffery's World Vegetarian and World of the East.  Also, Vegan Yum Yum is an awesome, awesome book.  I cook from that one at least 3 times a week- it's a staple.  

mdcblog5.gif  http://annapodrisworksinprogress.blogspot.com/  
 namaste.gif  Yoga loving bohemian vegan artist mom of one girl- 10-08hearts.gif, married to my best friend,shamrocksmile.gif who is also an artist.  
#10 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 06:10 PM

Seconding Vegan with a Vengeance/ Veganomicon - Isa ROCKS!!!! You can try a bunch of her recipes on her website:

http://www.theppk.com/

(so many great ones...best pumpkin muffins ever, carrot cake pancakes, snobby joes...the list goes on and on.)

We also love the Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook:)

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

#11 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 PM

Hi there,

I haven't been through all of the posts on this thread so I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but I LOVE this website for vegan recipes that are super quick and delicious.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/ 

I also really like the cookbook "How it all Vegan". Not necessarily all easy and fast but all are SUPER yummy.

Good luck!

Kristin

#12 of 15 Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 AM

got a gift card for xmas and ordered four new ones:

-veganomicon

-vegan with a vengeance

-30-minute vegan

-the asian vegan kitchen

the post-punk kitchen web site does rock, check that out!  it rocks so much that once i realized she was the author of two of the cookbooks i was looking at, i didn't bother to look at reviews of the cookbooks and just ordered them knowing they would be awesome.

#13 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Eat Me Now by Melanie Waxman

She's amazing - raised SEVEN kids as a single mom - all vegan macrobiotic.  Quick, easy recipes that breathe new life into old faves...also, for me this was a good thing: some of the recipes have the same ingr, so I would shop, get a bunch and try 2 or 3 recipes (not all exactly the same) - getting more mileage outta the book.

Enjoy!

#14 of 15 Old 02-07-2011, 04:28 PM

My favorites so far are:

Clean Food - Terry Walters

Get It Ripe - Jae Steele

Ripe From Around Here - Jae Steele

30 Minute Vegan - Mark Reinfeld

Most of them are quick and easy to make and they focus on whole foods in general.

#15 of 15 Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks soooo muchthumb.gif

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page