Small/Mini-Meals? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-17-2010, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My doctor suggested small meals every 2-3 hours.  Do any of you eat small meals frequently? Do you have suggestions for small meals?  I am struggling with ideas.  Any thoughts?

#2 of 8 Old 12-17-2010, 02:42 PM

My fave mini meal is tortilla pizza. I just grab a tortilla and put a spoonful or so of pasta sauce, top w/any veggies in my house and stick in the oven til slightly crispy. Yummy and as filling as I want it to be!

Supporting natural birth and breastfeeding in the Piney Woods~
#3 of 8 Old 12-18-2010, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That is a good idea!

#4 of 8 Old 12-18-2010, 07:20 PM

I do frequent, small meals (well I'm supposed to, & always did until now with a toddler -- I end up not eating almost all day or something)...

Usually I have small containers of leftovers (and there are more leftovers if you eat smaller meals! smile.gif ), veggies with hummus, crackers & PB & a piece of fruit, refried beans with salsa & avocado on a corn tortilla, veggies & vegan cheeze on a grilled GF tortilla, things like that. Basically for me I just make the meals smaller & the snacks bigger/more balanced. You don't need to change everything you're eating, you can even just split your normal meal into 2 portions and set the 2nd half aside for later.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 8 Old 12-20-2010, 07:59 AM

I do this at least during the day (I do eat a full dinner since I'm cooking for my family anyway) and have for years.  Not really on purpose I guess, but just because I prefer to eat this way.  I generally am eating pretty much throughout the day.  I think it's contributed to my high metabolism and keeps me even-keeled during the day.  I drink water throughout the day.  A downside is that if for some reason, I don't eat every couple hours, I feel pretty awful.  I usually have to make sure I'm carrying little snacks with me at all times.   Here's a day example:

5:30am - Wake up

6:30am - soft boiled egg, small muffin, coffee

8:30am - slice apple and cheese

9:30am - piece of dark chocolate

10:30am - trail mix

12:30pm - half of tuna sandwich

3:00pm - cup of soup, piece of dark chocolate

6:00pm - usually a full dinner

Other mini-meals - carrots and hummus, PB&J, cereal and milk, muffin, etc.

#6 of 8 Old 12-20-2010, 03:08 PM

I like bean grilled cheese, like a grilled cheese but with refried beans on it too. I also love bean salad. I just found this one and made it today, it was delicious. I do cottage cheese and fruit as well. I was on the GD diet in my second pregnancy and kind of stuck to it, since I felt a lot better. 

http://www.plantfoodfabulous.com/2010/12/chickpea-salad.html

#7 of 8 Old 12-21-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

KLM99, thank you for sharing your day! askew, I'll have to try beans on grilled cheese -- yum!!

#8 of 8 Old 12-22-2010, 07:59 AM

You can always split a regular meal into two portions, giving you two mini-meals.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page