what are you serving for breakfast xmas morning? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-19-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i usually make this dutch puffed apple pancake thing with walnuts & dried cranberries with roasted potatoes on the side, but i think we're having mashed potatoes for xmas dinner, so looking for something else easy as a side. or a different idea completely for a "main course" that's easy since we'll be doing cooking here for dinner as well. we eat things with eggs in them, but no straight egg stuff and dh is not a big cheese lover.

#2 of 11 Old 12-19-2010, 09:50 PM

Deleting, because I didn't notice this was the vegetarian forum...clicked on the post from the forum index.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#3 of 11 Old 12-19-2010, 10:13 PM

Probably pancakes.... with apples, cinnamon, and walnuts... yum! Sometimes I saute apple slices and put them on top, and sometimes I chop/grate them up and put them right in the batter. Can't go wrong either way!

You didn't say what kind of potatoes you usually have roasted w/breakfast, but we love sweet potatoes sauted in a little olive oil with a little salt and a hint of onion. yum! That would be different if you're just having regular white mashed potatoes for dinner.

gl

hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#4 of 11 Old 12-19-2010, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalmom View Post

Probably pancakes.... with apples, cinnamon, and walnuts... yum! Sometimes I saute apple slices and put them on top, and sometimes I chop/grate them up and put them right in the batter. Can't go wrong either way!

You didn't say what kind of potatoes you usually have roasted w/breakfast, but we love sweet potatoes sauted in a little olive oil with a little salt and a hint of onion. yum! That would be different if you're just having regular white mashed potatoes for dinner.

gl

hth

good thought about the potatoes, i usually do a mix of white with sweet, but yes i could just do sweet and it won't clash with the mashed potatoes for dinner at all.

#5 of 11 Old 12-20-2010, 09:21 AM

We always do orange cinnamon rolls and eggless eggnog. Yums!

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#6 of 11 Old 12-20-2010, 01:15 PM

Well, we're doing french toast with fruit kebabs for xmas breakfast.  

I do love those large puffed pancakes (and double yum to adding nuts & cranberries - I'll have to try it out with my recipe sometime).  Hmm. . . we did a really awesome sweet potato-beet hash one year (last year?).  I personally like sauteed spinach as a breakfast side, but not everyone else goes for that.  Roasted broccoli is another good option, and easy too.    

#7 of 11 Old 12-21-2010, 09:18 AM

I'm also having a tough time deciding what to make Christmas morning.  Last year I made homemade cinnamon rolls the night before and then wrapped them up raw so I would only have to toss them in the oven in the morning.  I also made a baked french toast casserole, but I worked so hard on food last year that I kind of want something easier this year.  The cinnamon rolls were amazing though!

BeanyMama...can you share your orange cinnamon roll recipe?

Erin ~ Vegetarian AP SAHM to DS1 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(Kevin age 8) ,  DS2 bikenew.gif(Dylan age 6) and  (Lauren born 11/19/13) babygirl.gif. Loving wife to Ken luxlove.gifmy soulmate. We are a nak.gifcd.gif, and slingboy.gif family.
#8 of 11 Old 12-21-2010, 10:31 AM

We'll be having Cinnamon Buns, fruit and will try the Tofu Benny from Vegan Brunch.

#9 of 11 Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 PM

The cinnamon rolls from Vegan Brunch are fantastic. I usually make cinnamon rolls for Christmas breakfast, but since I've made them twice in the last month (a double batch this past weekend for our holiday brunch), I think I'm going with the coffee cake from the same cookbook. Probably some fruit too.

#10 of 11 Old 12-23-2010, 07:29 AM

This is all lacto-ovo stuff:

We are having monkey bread--very decadent and not healthy in any way at all, but so yummy! I'm pregnant (#2) and don't usually eat sweets (when I'm not preggers) not even pancakes but boy right now I could eat sweets all.day. long. Sweets and grapefruit actually (don't know what that's about)!

We are also having a spinach, dill, and swiss cheese fritatta and roasted potatoes.

#11 of 11 Old 12-23-2010, 09:35 AM

Eggs/tofu florentine, fresh squeezed OJ, coffee with organic vanilla sugar, assorted fresh fruit, apple-sage 'sausage'.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page